Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:14 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
I agree. Once again nmnita is lumping NWA in with the rest of the state. NWA is not typical Arkansas.
She lives in a town that is just barely even in the state of Arkansas -- and she's only lived there a year. Yet, she's an expert on Arkansas.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between retirement-ville on the Missouri border and the rest of the state.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:25 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
As a native and current Midwesterner who lived in Arkansas for 8 years, that statement is false to the point I almost laughed. Perhaps NWA has lost some of its southern identity due to the huge influx of outsiders, but most of Arkansas is without a doubt southern, with accents aplenty.

Don't take that as a knock. If the poster you're challenging has a problem with Arkansas because of its southern locale and rural nature while defending Texas, then let them be ignorant. But don't try to pass Arkansas off as something it's not.
Of course for the most part you are right, I know you haven't been on the AR board very long nor the Mo board but this subject has been discussed over and over. Technically, Ar is a southern state as we learned in georgraphy a million years ago when they still taught those types of subjects and I am not familiar enough with the southern part of AR to voice an opinion. I was really thinking more of the northern part of the state, like the northern part of Ok. From the lack of accents to the overall attitude it is more midwestern. I am sure part of this has to do with the number of people from other places, but some has to do with other aspects. Did you live in the NW or nothern part of the state? As for passing it off as something its not, that was not my intention. Heck 1/2 the people in Texas don't think it is a southern state. In fact this subject was discussed there recently, many in the north west part of the state consider it mid western. Again, this subject is discussed throughout the region often.

Nita

Old 07-31-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
She lives in a town that is just barely even in the state of Arkansas -- and she's only lived there a year. Yet, she's an expert on Arkansas.

There's a hell of a lot of difference between retirement-ville on the Missouri border and the rest of the state.
yep, you are right about part of that. Did you know my relatives (some of them were born and raised in Ar) Of course you didn't, Did you know the demographics in BV as well as most of this area are changing daily. Families are moving in to what you refer to as retirement-ville. I would suspect you know about as much about NWA as I know about SoEast Ar, not much..

Nita

Old 07-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
As long as you all are happy that all that really matters. lol now sit down and relax.. have a glass of sweet tea or whatever.
Sweet tea, what makes you think we drink sweet tea, I don't even know how to make it and when I have bridge parties or some other group over and set out regular iced tea, lemonade, water and wine. It is the water and wine that goes first..Heck my grandson in laws parents were raised here, and they don't drink sweet tea, they do drink ice tea, which isn't the same as your latte I am sure.

Nita

Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course for the most part you are right, I know you haven't been on the AR board very long nor the Mo board but this subject has been discussed over and over. Technically, Ar is a southern state as we learned in georgraphy a million years ago when they still taught those types of subjects and I am not familiar enough with the southern part of AR to voice an opinion. I was really thinking more of the northern part of the state, like the northern part of Ok. From the lack of accents to the overall attitude it is more midwestern. I am sure part of this has to do with the number of people from other places, but some has to do with other aspects. Did you live in the NW or nothern part of the state? As for passing it off as something its not, that was not my intention. Heck 1/2 the people in Texas don't think it is a southern state. In fact this subject was discussed there recently, many in the north west part of the state consider it mid western. Again, this subject is discussed throughout the region often.

Nita
I think you're thinking of NWA and not all of northern Arkansas. I lived in Jonesboro, and you better believe NEA is very southern with a lot of twanging. Same can be said of north-central Arkansas.

Texans still see themselves as their own republic -- not beholden to any particular region. It's just Texas.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,180 times
Quote:
I think you're thinking of NWA and not all of northern Arkansas. I lived in Jonesboro, and you better believe NEA is very southern with a lot of twanging. Same can be said of north-central Arkansas.

Texans still see themselves as their own republic -- not beholden to any particular region. It's just Texas.
People that move to NWA without living in other parts of the state really don't know what they are missing when it comes to true twang.

grmasterb, sorry but I have to ask. Are you a fan of Bud Bundy?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,528,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
grmasterb, sorry but I have to ask. Are you a fan of Bud Bundy?
You got me.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:

Not totally true about Texas. i wish I could find the thread for you, many were saying they live in the midwest or the panhandle is midwest and much of the rest of the state is southwest. Yes, you can add that Republic of Texas as well.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post

Maybe Bella Vista wull become more southern now that Ed McMann is no longer around acting as a " carney barker" giving a sales pitch to attract out of state people to Bella Vista.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,116 times
Here in Little Rock we are definitely southern. AND we drink sweet tea.

(Though right now I'm having chianti.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas