Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by true559 View Post
Thanks for the reply Ravenasque. Judging by the length of it, it appears you're right about there being little to do in AR, lol! I dont think you'll be hired by the AR board of tourism any time soon. Seriously though, I was considering a lake front home around hot springs. The lake front property there is about 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of similar property here. I realize that gasoline prices do not vary all that much but CA has the second highest electricity prices in the country just behind Hawii. Ditto gas and propane due simply to the high cost of conducting business here(something Im well aquainted with). It cost me ~$300.00 just to register a single vehicle here. Payroll costs(workmans comp etc.) are so expensive that I cant afford to hire the people I need. From what I see on the net, property taxes in AR are less than half what I pay. But enough about CA. What you said about the climate there is bothersome. I think you are right about visiting before making any decisions. I for one have to live near services(shopping banking, resteraunts etc.) How is Hot Springs for that sort of thing? Also how is cell phone coverage there and how common is high speed internet like cable or DSL?
What you said about the people there surprises me. Ive been to the south a few times. I was in Memphis not that long ago and I have to tell you I've never met a friendlier bunch of people in my life. They were almost to friendly and polite(if thats possible). I guess what Im looking for is a resort type of communty. Do have any suggestions other than the Hot Springs area?

THX again
Haven't read all the pages and pages yet but what about Eureka Springs or Bella Vista? You may want to jump over to NEOklahoma and see what they have. I suggest these places cause we are in the market as well. As for the responder who hates AR I just get the feeling two things might be playing a part here: he/she sounds very negative so maybe it's the person not the people in the state and 2-most of us know the people in AR and OK are very religious and on the conservative side (republican or Democrat) For someone to pick this out as a reason not to move to some place tells me something about them. I don't mean to sound negative toward someone, but I do get a feeling the problem isn't with AR itself. When someone says a house costs $100,000 and up when they have come from Ca makes me wonder. In Ca it is more like a million and up. I was raised in Ca, wouldn't go back if they paid me, nor would my husband. As for the weather in AR, that is probably the one legit complaint.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenasque View Post
Memphis is a bit of a different boat as far as people go. I've been there too, the difference is Memphis is abig tourist attraction (much like places in CA) so they are aquainted with new people coming to their state & they know that if they aren't very nice, they don't get all that extra moneys. That's not to say AR doesn't have it's share of decent people, it does, but not enough in my opinion to make up for living here long-term. First few times around you might find a lot of nicer people, but once you're settled in, you begin to see the true faces of these people.

As far as services go, Hot Springs is pretty much the big resort town out here. It's boom of having 'heated bathing houses' (was all that AR had for many years way back when for tourism, from the natural hot springs) is long gone, but the other stuff lives on. Fort Smith is not far from Hot Springs, is another 'big' city type place, Fayetteville is booming slowly. Little Rock is the biggest city in the state and has everything. All of these cities should have DSL/Cable. (I have DSL and am in a very small city ATM) Every city out here pretty much has decent cellular coverage, Alltel will reem you though, so try to get Cingular. (CIngular has better coverage anyways, but yet another monopoly on AR... ha)

You could easily visit all of these cities, in a single day, they are far apart, Fayetteville being the furthest from the others, but you could drive it if you wanted to. I would say Hot Springs is about the median for travel between each city.
Actaully I think AR is much nicer than Memphis. We have found everyplace in the south to be friendly, yes, even AR. Our granddaughter is a senior at the University. She choose AR because of the people. No matter where you live or what your lifestyle it is up to you to be happy.

NMNita

Last edited by nmnita; 06-01-2007 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 11:47 AM

13 posts, read 56,878 times
I live in North West Arkansas. If you want to do some research on the area there are several websites for Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale and Fayetteville. The area is beautiful lots lakes, valleys, and hillside views. I have found it a very friendly place to live, and there are several different cultures living here peacefully. There are several smaller towns in the surrounding area if your looking for the small town atmosphere. Eureka and Bella Vista are 2 of the popular places people have retired to. Check us out on the web, then visit us for awhile.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM

We have narrowed our search down to 4 places, each for a different reason: We leave here next Tues and will spend most of the week in Ar and OK. Our choices, at this time: Van Buren: Bella Vista; Grove, OK and Muskogee, with Grove and Bella Vista being at the top of the list. Of course we may chance our minds completely, but these are our picks right now.

Nita

Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM

54 posts, read 305,398 times
Bella Vista is an excellent town. Grove is nice as well, about halfway between Tulsa and Northwest Arkansas.

Van Buren's been on the decline, along with Fort Smith, being that sort of Manufacturing Sector of Arkansas, but you know they've gotta upswing soon.

Muskogee is a good place as well, albeit farther from areas with Commercial Density like Ft Smith, Tulsa, and NW Arkansas.

Ravenasque, i don't know where you hail from that you think it's so bad down here...Just where in Arkansas do you reside?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHogsGo View Post
Bella Vista is an excellent town. Grove is nice as well, about halfway between Tulsa and Northwest Arkansas.

Van Buren's been on the decline, along with Fort Smith, being that sort of Manufacturing Sector of Arkansas, but you know they've gotta upswing soon.

Muskogee is a good place as well, albeit farther from areas with Commercial Density like Ft Smith, Tulsa, and NW Arkansas.

Ravenasque, i don't know where you hail from that you think it's so bad down here...Just where in Arkansas do you reside?
well tell us one thing; if we decide to move to Grove, will we be able to route for the Hogs? LOL

thanks for the breakdown of places. I really think when it comes down to decision time we will settle in or near Grove or Bella Vista. Nita

Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 20,425 times
Default My Parents' Exodus From Bentonville AR to Kerrville TX

I have to say that the three-part response to the lady moving from SoCal to AR is RIGHT ON, on almost every point he gave. My mother was a SoCal native, my dad got this idea that they should leave SoCal and move to Arkansas, so they sold the house and took off for Arkansas. I thought my poor mom would have a nervous breakdown before my dad got her OUT of there. She found the "natives" to be suspicious, unfriendly, close-minded, and, although my mom is a Christian herself, she found the "natives" to be WAAAAAYYYY too Fundamentalist!! Also, while it is TRUE that Arkansas has some beautiful countryside and waterways, the "natives" do not seem to be too terribly environmentally-conscious, and that really bothered my parents. The lack of cultural opportunities, the oppressive heat in the summertimes and the ice in the wintertimes, and the lack of social outlet caused my mom some real difficulty with depression. Now my parents (in their 70's and 80's) live in Kerrville, Texas (aka "The Hill Country") and they have never been happier. I am delighted they were able to make such a positive change and improve their lives in such a wonderful manner.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygrl View Post
I have to say that the three-part response to the lady moving from SoCal to AR is RIGHT ON, on almost every point he gave. My mother was a SoCal native, my dad got this idea that they should leave SoCal and move to Arkansas, so they sold the house and took off for Arkansas. I thought my poor mom would have a nervous breakdown before my dad got her OUT of there. She found the "natives" to be suspicious, unfriendly, close-minded, and, although my mom is a Christian herself, she found the "natives" to be WAAAAAYYYY too Fundamentalist!! Also, while it is TRUE that Arkansas has some beautiful countryside and waterways, the "natives" do not seem to be too terribly environmentally-conscious, and that really bothered my parents. The lack of cultural opportunities, the oppressive heat in the summertimes and the ice in the wintertimes, and the lack of social outlet caused my mom some real difficulty with depression. Now my parents (in their 70's and 80's) live in Kerrville, Texas (aka "The Hill Country") and they have never been happier. I am delighted they were able to make such a positive change and improve their lives in such a wonderful manner.
I was born and raised in Southern CAlif, went to college there, had all my children there and eventually moved to Wash DC, then onto Texas (Dallas area) we have visited the hill country many times. I find it amazing your parents love Kerrville area but you poor mom hated Ar. Where in AR was she living? Weatherwise, Kerrville wouldn't be all that much different. They too have ice storms and awful summers. I could go on and on. I am glad your mother is happier now, but I wonder where in AR they lived. I think some of the mid America/ northern state boardering on the south get a bum wrap. We live just south of Albuquerque NM, do we have all the "culteral opportunities" at our finger tips? No, but we can find them when we want them. We have music, golf, bridge, good dining, shopping, etc. within 30-45 minutes from us. This is true in many parts of AR as well. NMnita

Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleygrl View Post

Wow...All that trash along the roadways in SoCal makes those people WAY more environmentally conscious.... Been there, seen it. I've said it before and I'll keep preaching it, Arkansans WILL be suspicious and unfriendly of people who move in thinking they're better than the "natives."

Old 06-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Wow...All that trash along the roadways in SoCal makes those people WAY more environmentally conscious.... Been there, seen it. I've said it before and I'll keep preaching it, Arkansans WILL be suspicious and unfriendly of people who move in thinking they're better than the "natives."
Very well put and very true.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas