Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 03:55 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and don't you have a positive attitude. Where do you live, not in NWA I would gather, but then, maybe I am wrong.

Nita
I would assume they don't lol. And have you gotten a chance to check out the view from Mt. Sequoyah on your visits to NWA yet Nita??? If not and you don't know how to get there, i'd be glad to help ya out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 06:27 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I'm in college....so no. And every single buisnesss/company/organization/magazine etc etc has a list of some sort that all say different things, so they're hard to trust lol. But they're fun to look at

You're right, everyone has a list these days. But some organizations DO carry some reputation and are only making lists about things they really do know about. Moody's being an investment advising firm has already done all the research on where company's are and how well they're doing in those locations. This list has a tad bit more quantitative value than say, Southern Livings 10 Best Economies in Small Southern Towns or equally ridiculous lists based on largely subjective data which are more or less beauty contests for whichever Chamber of Commerce wines and dines the best.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You're right, everyone has a list these days. But some organizations DO carry some reputation and are only making lists about things they really do know about. Moody's being an investment advising firm has already done all the research on where company's are and how well they're doing in those locations. This list has a tad bit more quantitative value than say, Southern Livings 10 Best Economies in Small Southern Towns or equally ridiculous lists based on largely subjective data which are more or less beauty contests for whichever Chamber of Commerce wines and dines the best.
Heh yea you just gotta take em for what they are They are fun to look at though!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:01 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Heh yea you just gotta take em for what they are They are fun to look at though!
You have to read the fine print and see what the criteria were and judge the reputability of the issuing agency.

But really, it would take someone with their head in the sand to NOT realize the LR economy is substantially more diverse than NWA. That's not a knock against NWA! I love the area but it DOES suffer from a lack of non-service employment by other than 3 companies.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:31 AM

114 posts, read 572,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philfrost View Post
Wow. I was thinking of relocating to Arkansas and was considering Conway due to it's moderate size and close proximity to Little Rock. Ravenasque's and rosied's posts are certainly troublesome. And some of the narrow-minded responses to Ravenasque haven't helped much either. Rosied, I was wondering if you'd be willing to expand a little bit? I know you might get attacked for nothing more than expressing your opinion, but I would definetely appreciate a little more insight as to why you're so unhappy with Conway? You know, I'm looking for specifics like racism, lousy schools, hard to find employment, etc. Or maybe you're just unhappy with your life and homesick? Please let me know even if you'd rather just e-mail me than make a public post (znjexotics@hotmail.com).
And to Ravenasque if you're still following this post please send me an e-mail and let me know what part of Arkansas you're in.
Thanks for you're help,
Phil
Racism is such a subjective term and so often misused that it shouldn't be in this conversation. Shouldn't a person and their families personal safety be a top consideration in any city? I think so. No one's objective opinion is troubling - it's based more on their experiences rather than on an idealogy. The comment "And some of the narrow-minded responses to Ravenasque haven't helped much either." What is narrowminded - something you don't agree with? All information here should be to help others understand what they might experience - all are helpful - each person will than have to make their own determination.

With respect

MajorHart

Old 06-30-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,521 times
Default Nothing wrong with Arkansas

I have been reaeding these postings and I am bothered by the few people who put down Ark and any state for that matter.
I was born in Hot Spings Ark. but raised in St. Louis MO. Every year we went back to visit all my relatives and believe me we had a blast. Life was wonderful in Hot Springs during those summer vacations in the 60's/70's. But I was still happy to be in St.Louis.
Now that I am in my 40's, I have lived a number of places and have visted almost every state in the country and I have learned each state has its good and bad. Someone in one of these posting said it right; "you have to use your head to figure out where you want to live". The grass is not greener on the other side and every city and town has its dump area, street people area, run down buildings area. You have to figure out where and what is going to make you the happiest.

If you want the party scene then of course dont move to a small town, cities are everywhere. If you want to make a ton of money then you have to move to cities with big business/opportunities. You like cold weather then move north, hot weather move south but accept that is how it is in those areas and many people like cold/hot, nightlife/slow moving life, and so on.

I liked growing up in St.Louis, we had many opportunities there. I also love living in Virginia because it is beautiful, peaceful, historic. I move to Arizona and thought the scenery of the desert was wonderful. But at this point of my life I am doing everything to move back to Arkansas. YES Arkansas. I have enjoyed all kinds of places, but I want to go home and I miss Arkansas. I know its not the big money making state of the country, and it has its faults like other states but I do that the people ARE friendly there, life moves slower (and I need that in my life now), if you live anywhwere from the central part to the western side you have beautiful green hills, tons of lakes, fall colors, maybe a little snow in the winter, but not much, yes humdity but come to the desert and enjoy 115 degrees, only we konw what hot is. People wave at eachoter, sit on front porches in the evenings, small town parades/festivals, good southern cooking.

In Arizona I when I first got there and waved to a passerby he flipped me off, I was shocked but soon wised up to the diffences of cities and towns. Believe me the pay in Arizona stucks too. I am in education and I can get a job in one of the towns in Ark and still make more than I make here, and I have a Masters in Ed.

So if you want to think about moving to Ark. I say research places, like I am doing (so far have not found a job in Hot Springs but looking at other towns too). There are tons of redneck in Arizona, Viginia and Mo. Texas, Tenn, Wis, and Calif and all over, it is not just Ark. Good Luck, hope to see you in Ark. soon.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times
I moved to Arkansas from my home state of Idaho 31 years ago, because it is my DH's home state. For a long time I thought I would want to eventually move back to Idaho. I have changed my mind. I have many dear friends here. The scenery is beautiful . I enjoy the wild life, and all the beauty of the changing seasons. I would miss the gorgeous fall colors in the area we live in. There are so many interesting places to see in a very short distance from our home. I am not a 'city' person, not even a 'town' person. I like the country. The only things I miss are open spaces ( we live in the middle of our woods), and the lack of biting insects when you are out in your yard. I could set on the lawn in Idaho and not be ate up by bugs. I can't do that here
I understand that those who love city life, would not like it here, but there are cities in Arkansas too. If you live in one of them, you can have the best of both places, because the lovely countryside is not far away.

When I first came here, I was one of the 'outsiders'. Now I am one of the 'natives' who is concerned about the 'outsiders' coming here and trying to change things.
I believe in the old saying " When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

My advice is...move somewhere that already fits your idea of a good place to live, don't expect it to change to suit you. There have been a lot of changes since we moved here, but I do not think most of them are due to outsiders. They are just normal progress....and most of them are good.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Hunt View Post
If you want the party scene then of course dont move to a small town
Welllll now Kelly, I gotta take you to task on that one.

I live in the hills in Arkansas, and I like the party scene.

First of all, I can turn the stereo up as loud as I like, the critters are use to it.

Second of all, if I go to the neighbor's house to party, they don't mind much when I get drunk and chase the goat.

Then the goat chases me.

The best thing is, in *my* opinion, is that we have lots and lots of grass.

Even if you wander off, following the critters around, you'll probably end up in a hayfield. Lot's of grass there.

That's *really* important, because as the dew sets, it has found me more than once face down, desperately clutching the blades of grass so I don't fall off the face of the earth.

Ya see what I mean?

Old 07-01-2008, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,603 times
[mod] edit [/mod] we love Arkansas. We live in a small college town, Monticello, Arkansas. Really nice people.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-02-2008 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: sorry, no back door advertising either

Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
How'd you find that?

I searched both the nic and the town there and got nada.
I just went to the Residental Real Estate pages, selected Arkansas and browsed the 12 or so listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas