Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 10,342 times

Advertisements

I started to read the one response that talked about how terrible it is here in Arkansas but after a few paragraphs I realized she must have serious issues to write a book in response. I live 25 miles south of Hot Springs and while it's not perfect, this whole region has many wonderful aspects. Humidity is there, but it's only really bad for 2.5 months and it's only cold about the same time, the rest of the year, it's great. Come visit Hot Springs, you will find why so many from CA are coming here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 59,763 times
If my children, except one, and, therefore, grandchildren weren't living in Illinois, I would be living in Arkansas! Illinois is fine, but Arkansas cost-of-living is much less and there are so many beautiful areas NW, NC, C, W...
I personally love the area around Fayetteville, but also really like Eurkea Springs and Berryville. Then, as a city, I think that Ft. Smith is really fine but doesn't have the great UA there (yes, a branch). Fayetteville offers a bit more cutting edge culturally. Berryville is a very small country place of 5,000 within a few miles of Eureka Springs. Housing is less expensive in B'ville and there is a hospital in B'ville. Look into property around Kings River around B'ville. There is a lot of water in NW to NC Arkansas, with a lot of hills. Just beautiful, gorgeous country. Go down around Ft. Smith and find a little area known as Charleston with really nice people, good school and good housing, low taxes. Charleston is 1 hr from Fayetteville; 30 minutes to Mt. Magazine. Another area that is just beautiful is Mt. Magazine! God wasn't kidding when she made Arkansas. Arkansas is beautiful country. I even have retirement acreage there and paid. Just cannot leave grandchildren here yet. They even get neater with age! My grandson and I can jam together now!!!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 20,972 times
I was born in Springdale, currently live in Maumelle, and have a cabin in Mountain View & everywhere is lovely. I hate that someone had such a horrible experience in Arkansas but I am confused to some of his reasons. We are ranked as one of the lowest cost of living states in the US. Down the road I have a couple that moved here to retire. They sold their 1000 sq foot home in California & with the money they received bought a home closer to 4000 sq. ft (with money left over).

Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 68,291 times
Eureka Springs is the best city to live in. They are easy going and the town is beyond beautiful. All those old Victorian houses are to die for!!

Old 03-19-2007, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,086 times
I am relocating to northwest Arkansas in may. I need to know what the winter season is like and how long it lasts. I am in michigan now and i hate the 6 dreary months of harsh winter.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:48 PM

388 posts, read 1,784,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemama2 View Post
I am relocating to northwest Arkansas in may. I need to know what the winter season is like and how long it lasts. I am in michigan now and i hate the 6 dreary months of harsh winter.
It will be a piece of cake for you.

Cold at night, mostly temperate during the day. Very little snow. There will be some ice storms and NW AR seems to get a little more than the rest of the state, but nothing to really get excited about compared to the upper Midwest.

Last edited by magrack; 03-19-2007 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: text added.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:06 AM

90 posts, read 352,867 times
true559,
I am not sure what Ravenasque is talking about. I know I am a little late on this but I had to comment. I moved here from Florida almost a year ago and I must say that I am very happy with my decision. I dealt with Florida humidity and Arkansas's is nothing compared. The seasons here are very pretty and the people coudnt be nicer. Housing is cheap and there is barely any traffic. The area I live in is Rogers which is close to Bentonville and Fayetteville and it is growing alot. It was named the 7th fastest growing area in the country. Walmart is a big employer here, Tyson foods and we just got a new huge mall with all the big city shopping pleasures. When I read what Ravenasque wrote my mouth dropped because I have never seen or heard any of those things. I think he is just a very bitter person that wont be happy anywhere he goes.
If you have any other questions, feel free to message me anytime.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:09 AM

Default winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlemama2 View Post
The winter here are very mild. You wont get slammed with all the snow you get up there now. I am from Florida and I dealt with it just fine having never seen snow before. So you will be fine and I think you will like it alot.

Good luck and welcome to the area!!

Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandamoo View Post
I am VERY confused and need HELP!! I having been living in South Florida for thelast year - I am originally from the UK. My husband and I are seriously considering relocating to Rogers AK. I already have a job lined up and we are about to make an offer on a Beaver lakeside property. Having read a few posts I am starting to have 'cold feet'. I love the 'country side' / small town look of the area BUT am concerned that being 'English' I wont be welcomed by the 'locals'. I have not visited and due to work committments will be forced to make a 'blind' move. What advice can you give me?? HELP??!!
Hey Mandamoo,

I made a blind move to Rogers. I moved here last April 30th and have never been happier. It is very different from SoFla but much nicer. Nobody will treat you different because your English. There are many spanish speakers here so the people are very open minded now about new comers. This area has grown alot and there are people here from all over including California so you will be welcomed by the locals. I lived close to Beaver lake when I got here and except for driving up and down a mountian to get to work every day I loved it there. It is very pretty.
Here are some pictures of Beaver lake:

In that second picture I am the one to the right wearing the red shirt. That was two weeks ago when my friend came to visit from Miami and he loved it so much he is now planning to return and live here.

Here is a picture of us at the new mall in Rogers:

So please, dont worry and if you have any questions feel free to write me. I know what your going thru and will be glad to help.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Kennedy View Post
if you aren't as happy as a clam at high tide in Maine, you probably won't be as content as a spotted dog under a red wagon in Arkansas.

P.S. The weather in Southwest Arkanasa is delightful. It's not humid 50% of the year and we dance in the street if we get two inches of snow.
Sometimes attitude is a little like 'location, location, location' in real estate - it can be 'everything'. I enjoyed your analogy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas