Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,207,541 times

Advertisements

mdretired -

I think you will be hard pressed to find an area anywhere that doesn't have a drug culture. We moved to Cabot in 1986 - talk about small and sleepy town (then, not now)....and the undercurrent of drugs was incredible. I'm not sure that Paris is any better or any worse than anywhere else these days.

So much is going to depend on your nephew. I will say if he is a good student and is interested in rural life, then this will most likely be a good move for him - St. Joe's and Subiaco are tops - if he's used to meeting his friends at the mall, he's going to think Paris is pretty dead. Outside of NWA and Little Rock, most towns just don't have the bustling cultural activities, or activities in general....lots of kids hook up with Future Farmers or the 4-H club. From what I understand, he would get called out in a heartbeat at St. Joe's if he was doing anything even marginal, but that's just based on what I've heard.

Arkansas seems to have a significant meth problem, part of which I attribute to having many, many rural areas where it's easy to set up shop miles from where law enforcement routinely travel......again, your nephew is going to have to be his own best friend and do the Betty Ford "just say no" thing.

That's the world we live in - I hate it, but that's it...drugs are everywhere. The benefit to small towns is that most everyone knows you and your kids and the Gladys Kravitz of town will be HAPPY to tell you if something is amiss. This I know from personal experience.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,220 times
Thanks for your reply. I am going to be looking at homes in the Paris area very soon. I would be quite upset if St. Joseph's had policies that were not strictly enforced. A quality education is our whole reason for contemplating leaving this state and moving to Arkansas. However, I would like my nephew to make friends in the area we will live without too much worry he will be exposed to drugs. Someday I hope this country addresses what it is doing to it's people that so many cannot cope with life without the use of drugs.

We have visited the Abbey and adore it and the monks are wonderful. I believe we are doing the right thing by moving whereby my nephew can attend fine schools and have the same children in classes with him for many years. Do you know if most children attending St. Joseph's go on to attend Subiaco? I am doubtful he will board at the school, however, I have not fully discounted that possibility. What is the nearest large city for shopping and entertainment? I can tell you we were lost most of the time on our trip there so I have no real idea about what was nearby and what was far away. Our directions came from Map Quest and they were wrong, very wrong.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM

I honestly don't know about kids going on to Subiaco from St. Joe's. I would imagine St. Joe's would be the best source of info for that. I know the student body of Subiaco for this year was only about 160 boys or so, but really has an international flavor....about 20% of the student body were from other countries.

You can look at this site for better directions - Mapquest is horrible sometimes... Welcome to Subiaco Abbey & Academy (c) 2007 -or just pick up an Arkansas map when you get here.

As far as where you are - pretty much nowhere. I think it's about 40 miles to Russellville, which would make you halfway between Ft. Smith and Russellville. Entertainment? Ummmm....well, there are bowling alleys and movie theaters in Russellville and Ft. Smith, but you're going to have to go on to Conway or Little Rock for any real shopping experience at all. I guess you could jog down to Hot Springs, but Little Rock would be just as close.

Russellville is really growing - we're getting a Target, there's a super Wal Mart, lots of grocery stores, a Hastings book store, and Starbucks coming in soon....but as far as major "hit the mall" shopping - nope. And I hope it never happens!

Distance from PARIS AR to BOONEVILLE AR: 15.1 miles SW
Distance from PARIS AR to CLARKSVILLE AR: 19.3 miles NE
Distance from PARIS AR to DANVILLE AR: 25.1 miles SE
Distance from PARIS AR to GREENWOOD AR: 30.1 miles W
Distance from PARIS AR to DARDANELLE AR: 32.6 miles E
Distance from PARIS AR to FORT SMITH AR: 38.2 miles W

Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
mdretired -

I think you will be hard pressed to find an area anywhere that doesn't have a drug culture. We moved to Cabot in 1986 - talk about small and sleepy town (then, not now)....and the undercurrent of drugs was incredible. I'm not sure that Paris is any better or any worse than anywhere else these days.

So much is going to depend on your nephew. I will say if he is a good student and is interested in rural life, then this will most likely be a good move for him - St. Joe's and Subiaco are tops - if he's used to meeting his friends at the mall, he's going to think Paris is pretty dead. Outside of NWA and Little Rock, most towns just don't have the bustling cultural activities, or activities in general....lots of kids hook up with Future Farmers or the 4-H club. From what I understand, he would get called out in a heartbeat at St. Joe's if he was doing anything even marginal, but that's just based on what I've heard.

Arkansas seems to have a significant meth problem, part of which I attribute to having many, many rural areas where it's easy to set up shop miles from where law enforcement routinely travel......again, your nephew is going to have to be his own best friend and do the Betty Ford "just say no" thing.

That's the world we live in - I hate it, but that's it...drugs are everywhere. The benefit to small towns is that most everyone knows you and your kids and the Gladys Kravitz of town will be HAPPY to tell you if something is amiss. This I know from personal experience.....
I think everywhere now has a meth problem, especially the rural areas. We certainly have our share here in NM. Oh BTW, wasn't it the Nancy Reagan approach "just say no"? Euther way, like you said, Meth is there. Other drugs as well and kids do have to know when to walk away. I don't care where you are, private school, boarding school, rural, unrban, they will come in contact with drugs and alcohol. When we were growing up (I speak for myself) drugs weren't an issue but certainly alcohol as well as sex, cigarettes, etc were out there. We made our decisions to try some, other we didn't. NO, I won't tell you which I did try. LOL

Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh BTW, wasn't it the Nancy Reagan approach "just say no"?

And right you are - Betty had to have someone help her just say no! Oops!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,359 times
With all towns these days, Paris has it's problems with drugs.....but you have to remember that parenting is a big factor in the fight against drugs. We have a wonderful town here, which has a beautiful setting with Mt. Magazine and our local law enforcement are making great strides this year to improve the crack down on the drug problem in our community. We can only hope that people like you will come to our area and improve our community with the growth that we need and have the faith in our school systems and our local government and law enforcement to help Paris keep growing and thriving! I've lived here since I was 11 and my children are growing up here and so far I've been one of the lucky parents that have good kids that are active in the community and sports. None of my children have attended Subiaco Academy, but I have a daughter that is taking voice lessons from the music departmental head and she is WONDERFUL!!!! My older children attended St. Joseph's and I appreciate that school very much and is a strong base for Subiaco Academy! Our Paris School System is just as good and have great teachers and is expanding facilities on the high school campus as we speak. We are currently building a new city park that will have 3 new regulatation size baseball/softball fields with soccer fields and playground equipment with a walking trail that will be fit for any walking enthusiast!! Please don't forget about Paris; we still love Paris and we will continue to do everything to keep the integrity of our town in tact for the next generation!

Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,330 times
Default Drug problem in Paris is no worse than any other small town

I am so tired of hearing it. Yes, drugs are everywhere but Paris has gotten a bad rap for no good reason. The drug problems are way worse in towns like Russellville. No community is immune from these problems. I live 15 minutes away from Paris in a smaller town and I am sure there are problems here as well.

Paris is a good place to raise kids, I graduated from school there and my brother graduated from Subi just like my 2 sons will. My husband and I purposely moved here as soon as my first son was born for the better environment for children.

However, you still have to take care your kids. Bad things happen everywhere. But the nights are quieter, the crime rate is very low and murder/rape rate is non existant. People wave as they pass you on the road and everyone will pretty much know who you are and where you live after living in the area a year.

Mt Magazine and the lodge are wonderful and the educational opportunitues are here to be taken.

Please do not listen to ignorant people about Paris or the surrounding areas. I read the paper every week and live here every day and I would not trade it for the world.

The cost of living is also wonderful. That is how we can afford for me to be a stay at home mom and we have a nice house and are not in debt.

Feel free to move to Logan county so long as you are willing to adapt to our lifestyle and be nice.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:04 PM

858 posts, read 667,625 times
Does Paris still have drug problems?
How's the economy now days?

So many small towns have fallen into despair, but many have bounced back.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:07 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,103,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Does Paris still have drug problems?
How's the economy now days?

So many small towns have fallen into despair, but many have bounced back.
You may want to start a new thread about Paris. This one is 12 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas