Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 21,522 times

Advertisements

I am a FedEx employee who is seriously considering transferring to Freight in Harrison. I spent every summer in Mountain View, growing up, but Harrison is a mystery to me. We (long-term bf and I) are coming up this weekend to look around, but are curious about several things:

Is there anything that could be considered a good area to live, versus any bad areas (it seems kind of small for that, but one doesn't know until one asks, our only real concerns are areas that are prone to burglary or car thefts/break-ins)? We will be renting our first year, then buying. Any referrals to rental agencies appreciated, too!

Is there a good Mexican restaurant?

Is the snow bad enough to need chains or snow tires?

Is there any place to buy yarn besides Walmart?

What time does the town close up at night? Things like restaurants, gas stations, and oh yeah, the Walmart?

I saw where someone else asked this about another town, and it's an *excellent* question: What's the water like? Hard? Sulphur? I've experienced both in this lovely state, one of the very few downsides!

What kind of broadband internet is available? Is there cable television?

How is cell phone reception? (We're both AT&T)

Any info at all is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,772,459 times
Hey, I'll help with as much as I can. I grew up right around there but haven't lived there in many years so some of your questions I can't help with.

"Is there anything that could be considered a good area to live, versus any bad areas (it seems kind of small for that, but one doesn't know until one asks, our only real concerns are areas that are prone to burglary or car thefts/break-ins)? We will be renting our first year, then buying. Any referrals to rental agencies appreciated, too!"
There has been a rash of break-ins around town lately. I don't think it's very geographically isolated but I admit I haven't been reading all of the newspaper reports, just the headlines. Typically, I'd steer you towards the areas on the west side of 65 near downtown or out Capps road or on the North side of town. There are really only 2 sections of town that are kinda run down and you'll know them instantly when you're driving around. Harrison is a pretty WYSIWIG town. Used to be, most rentals in town were not very high quality but I suspect things have changed

"Is there a good Mexican restaurant?"Miguel's. Personally, I can't vouch for the quality. The owner was actually a youth pastor of mine but I never ate at his restaurant!

"Is the snow bad enough to need chains or snow tires?"Only if you live on a big hill or you need or want to get out into the surrounding countryside for some reason.

"Is there any place to buy yarn besides Walmart?" Not qualified to answer

"What time does the town close up at night? Things like restaurants, gas stations, and oh yeah, the Walmart?"I would figure real restaurants would close up around 10PM. The Wal-Mart is a Supercenter so it's 24/7. Gas stations are all open very late.

"I saw where someone else asked this about another town, and it's an *excellent* question: What's the water like? Hard? Sulphur? I've experienced both in this lovely state, one of the very few downsides!"Water most anywhere in the Ozarks is going to be very hard. I don't recall any sulphur odor or anything.

"What kind of broadband internet is available? Is there cable television?"There is most definitely cable, has been for about 25 years but I don't know the carrier. Broadband offerings I can't answer.

"How is cell phone reception? (We're both AT&T)"Not qualified to answer

If you don't mind a small town feeling and like outdoor activity, Harrison would be a great place to live. It's got a high quality of life to cost ratio. Shopping is very limited however so you'll have to drive to either Springfield or NWA for real shopping trips. All the basics you need you can find there though.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 21,522 times
Thanks, Stormcrow!

The fact that Harrison is small is a major plus. Our current town is less than 11k. It's too close to Memphis, though. I hate having to commute across that bridge every day to work.

On another thread someone wrote about Harrison being a great place if you want to work, mind your own business, and live a quiet life (or something along those lines). Talk about perfect!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 12,522 times
I think you will find Harrison to be a breathe of fresh air compared to Memphis.
We are not in the dark ages. Cox offers cable TV/internet/phones. Cell phone reception here is great. The stores (except Walmart) do close early. We are close enough to Branson that if you need a change, 30 minutes up Hwy 65 is Branson. There is always lots to do there. This area is known for its natural beauty and outdoor activities. Crime is minimal and people are friendly.
The water is not too hard, but some people do have softeners on their house systems. We do not and have not had any problems.
Snow is not bad. (of course we moved here from Washington State, so may not be the best to ask.) They close everything if there is very much snow and/or ice. The city does an excellent job of keeping the main streets clear and passable.
Hope some of this helps you make and informed decision.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,231 times
Default Not Bad!

I'll do my best to answer some questions for you! I moved here about 8 years ago for my job... fully intending to cut and run back to where I was from as soon as the opportunity presented itself. I've had the opportunity several times, but found when it came down to it... I just couldn't leave!

Is there anything that could be considered a good area to live, versus any bad areas (it seems kind of small for that, but one doesn't know until one asks, our only real concerns are areas that are prone to burglary or car thefts/break-ins)? We will be renting our first year, then buying. Any referrals to rental agencies appreciated, too!

There aren't really any BAD areas of town. Some are a lot nicer than others, but I think that's the case anywhere. I would stick to the north side of town or toward Alpena. (You'll be closer to Branson that way!)

Is there a good Mexican restaurant?
There are a few Mexican restaurants... Migeul's, El Acapulco, and Salsa's. All of these are pretty decent, however if you want REALLY good Mexican food... head up to the Landing @ Branson. Cantina Laredo is excellent!

Is the snow bad enough to need chains or snow tires?
Every now and then... it will snow or ice enough that would require it, but not too often. Even then... everything is closed anyway, so there's nothing better to do than stay home and "cuddle!"

Is there any place to buy yarn besides Walmart?
Not so much. I bulk buy when I go to Springfield. Springfield has several NICE yarn stores.

What time does the town close up at night? Things like restaurants, gas stations, and oh yeah, the Walmart?
Walmart is a 24 hour Walmart. Most restaurants close at 9 on weekdays and 10-11 on Friday/ Saturday.

I saw where someone else asked this about another town, and it's an *excellent* question: What's the water like? Hard? Sulphur? I've experienced both in this lovely state, one of the very few downsides!
Harrison has "city" water. I drink water out of the tap and it's MUCH better than other waters I've had before.

What kind of broadband internet is available? Is there cable television?
Ritter or Windstream is the internet... it's pretty speedy. I have broadband and have had no complaints. We have Dish, so I don't know much about the cable.

How is cell phone reception? (We're both AT&T)
We have both AT&T & Alltel (Soon to be Verizon.) Reception is pretty good! It's a little spotty in some places, and I ALWAYS drop calls around the Tourist Information Center on 65 North. But it's really not that bad!

[mod] edit [/mod]

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: no advertising in state forums - Classifieds only

Old 11-07-2008, 05:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,511,968 times
Just wanted to say I lived in Harrison for 4 years. Had to relocate to VA due to a job layoff. We really miss Harrison. It's small and quiet unlike the east coast. We had a terrific place on 10 acres that was only 150k and less than 5 miles to town. Now we drive 45 miles to work and can't find a comparable property for under 350K. Maybe we will return once we retire. Good luck to you!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:16 AM

452 posts, read 1,643,427 times
Its a beautiful backwards place!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 73,592 times
I moved here 12 years ago from Houston, And this is a great town. An area with a lot of growth that has been most positive. Either direction leads you to something different Branson the city life to the North and Newton County The Buffalo River fto the other direction. The growth has brought new culture which means better foods such as Mexican resturaunts but, I agree The Landing is nice but so is the price. The local known chef Nick Bottini puts out outstanding food at Horse shoe canyon.
The snow can be dangerous at times ice storms have been an issue. As you have read for the most part everything will shut down during this time. And it would be wise to look at some features such as drive ways that may not be safe during the winter.
Not to sure about the yarn. I enjoy gowing to auctions in the Spring around here, and have often seen bags of yarn sell for as little as 2 dollars for many many rolls inside. The internet might be another option. Because we are limited on the bigger stores I personally have found shoppping onthe internet usable resource shipping cost are generally cheaper than driving a far and takes twice the time.
The town shuts down early. We only recently got a Walgreens that is 24 hrs like the Walmart. Although, no pharmacy is open 24hrs. /and our super ctr Walmart is actually very small compaired to the newest locations outside from here. The county is dry so the few locations that sell alcohol in the county sell by membership only. That allows for quiet nights here.
Water can be questionable again depends on the location of your home city water is most likely some older homes still may be on water wells not as much chemicals. But a lot harder on your laundry.
We have Dish,I actually live out side of Harrison. Cox is the cable company. Tricounty phone offers e ritter for internet I carry At&t and get phone service for the most part, the land is comming up more and more by folks allowing for new towers to go in. Great in town living, the cost may be higher than researching for homes in the out skirts of town. Growth on 65 towards Westerngrove, Gaither mountain another area. Crime is low but, does occur. New jail and faccilities being built. Hot checks and Meth seems to be of great troubles here. Good Luck see you in the Ozarks ACM

Old 11-09-2008, 12:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
Just wanted to say I lived in Harrison for 4 years. Had to relocate to VA due to a job layoff. We really miss Harrison. It's small and quiet unlike the east coast. We had a terrific place on 10 acres that was only 150k and less than 5 miles to town. Now we drive 45 miles to work and can't find a comparable property for under 350K. Maybe we will return once we retire. Good luck to you!
what a difference, Harrison versus VA. I don't know where you are in VA, we lived in NO Va many years ago and loved certain aspects, but today, I am happy to be in NWA.

Nita

Old 01-16-2009, 07:04 PM
AWC

14 posts, read 41,379 times
I understand Boone County is a dry county, but I am not sure what, exactly, that means. I am assuming it means restaurants don't serve alcohol, there are no bars, and no places to buy alcohol in the county. Is this correct? How does being a dry county affect home brewing beer, or making wine for personal use? Just curious, as I rarely drink, but my wife does love a glass of wine, and I'd like to try my hand at making some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas