Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,501 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

I'm moving from Chicago to Texarkana in the next few months. Can anyone offer me any advice on moving from a big city to a smaller city? and on employment and the community?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbrown View Post
Hello All:

I'm moving from Chicago to Texarkana in the next few months. Can anyone offer me any advice on moving from a big city to a smaller city? and on employment and the community?

Thanks in advance
I'm not near Texarkana, I'm north central, but I happened to work in Chicagoland for twenty years. Are you in Chicago or the burbs?

I ask, because if you're moving from someplace like Naperville or Winettka, you've got some culture shock coming.

Have you checked the area yet? Got a place to live?

Yes...compared to Chicago & metro area, Texarkana is a smaller town, but I certainly would't consider it a small town as far as Arkansas goes.

One thing....the big thing is, you're not going to find the attitude that you're now familiar with.

Judge no one....lest you be judged.

Folks that look the worst to you may turn out to be your best friends.

Lose any stereotypes that you have.

Consider everybody a friend until they give you 3 good reasons not to.

If you have any specific questions about the area, someone closer will answer them for you.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 PM

117 posts, read 257,617 times
Move back immediately!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 AM

763 posts, read 2,661,034 times
Well said RogMar. I go to Texarkana every now and then. Now, keep in mind, I live in a very small town of around 3,000 in north Louisiana, about 80 miles away. I think it is a great place. Not too big, yet not too small. The traffic can be kinda hectic sometimes for a place of it's size. If you like the outdoors, there is good fishing and hunting in the area. There is a Gander Mountain store there as well. Arkansas is a very beautiful state and I think you will enjoy it. You want be too far from Shreveport/ Bossier Louisiana. There is a lot to do there as well. I'm not into the river boat thing but if you are, they have several of those in Shreveport for your gambling needs. Bass Pro Shop is close to the boats and a river walk with several stores and eating places. Also Little Rock, Arkansas is a large place with everything you could imagine. Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:13 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,647 times
My brother-in-law and his wife teach school in the Pleasant Grove school district in Texarkana on the Texas side. It's a great school system from what I've heard. They were also able to find a pretty nice house for a decent price down there also.

The traffic around the mall and all the new stuff they've built at the US 59/I-30 interchange can be awful. It's a typical conglomeration of restaurants and big-box stores.

Texarkana is not a huge town,but it does draw a lot of people from quite a distance away to shop,eat,drink etc... I live an hour away,and quite a few people from this area go down there to shop especially. I prefer Little Rock/NLR because it's closer and has more to offer. Most people go down there because of a perception that the area is safer than Little Rock. Also, there's no sales tax on food in Texas. My grandma and mom go to Sam's Club in Texarkana to stock up on grocery items from time to time. Gasoline tends to be pretty cheap there as well.

Rogmar is right on the money in everything he posted: You're in for a culture shock,but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

12 posts, read 63,003 times
what do u need to know? I've lived here all my life, can probably give some info.

As far as jobs, their aren't many right now depending on what you're wanting to get into. I just got laid off in November, from the Army Depot, and I keep hearing that theirs going to be more probably.

Their are some really nice communities here though. If you want, pm me about an area you're interested in.

I personally like Red Lick, I grew up there, it had a VERY good school, but it only goes up to 8th grade. After that, kids have to pick where they want to go to high school. Usually Texas High, Redwater, or Pleasant Grove.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM

117 posts, read 257,617 times
Okay, my opinion is going to sound a little bias... but SO WHAT?!?!

If you're coming from chicago chances are you're going to hate it. I know a girl my age who moved from chicago and she absolutely hated it. It's VERY BOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRING. There aren't many jobs available at all. The only good jobs that are there are Red River army depot & Cooper tires. And they BOTH are laying off tons of people. It's easy to get around, every street runs east,west,north, and south. It's freezing during the winter and blazing during the summer. Some summer days reach 100+ degreez.

At first when you get there you will be shocked at how nice people seem. People wave randomly and greet you like "what up kinfolk". This was very new to me. But soon you will see that all of the "kindness" is fake and the people there are snakes for the most part. And to top that off they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But you'll see all of this for yourself if you move there.

The people on Texas Side don't like Arkansans and Vice Versa. It really gets annoying after a while. I think there is a Paper Mil there or some kind of factory, but it stinks up texarkana like 90% of the year. So expect it to smell like **** when you first get there until you get used to it. I don't know what people above me are talking about. There is nothing there that it worth leaving the city for besides peace and quiet. There aren't any really nice clothing stores at all. And there is nothing unique about the food there either. You'll find the same restaurants there that you'll find anywhere. The only thing that I can say I miss about texarkana is less traffic, 50 lb burgers for $5, and self-checkout lanes at wal-mart(all of which can are not good reasons to stay there).

There are some nice areas to live there. But who wants to buy a $100,000 house in the middle of a boring, smelly,

---------------- Now playing: outkast - hollywood divorce via FoxyTunes

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
There aren't any really nice clothing stores at all.

What..??

No Farm & Fleet?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,315 times
I moved here from Naperville, IL and I worked in downtown Chicago. My advise to you, do not leave Chicago, AR is a terrible place to live, nothing and I mean nothing to do! People sit around thinking of something to do and when they have thought it up it is a trip to WalMart to shop or a place to go eat and get just a little fatter! I been here 1 year and 6 months and I am planning to leave in 2 more months and never to return! Take it from me, you don't want to be here unless you don't like to do anything but sit around and gain weight.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon.alrifai View Post
I moved here from Naperville, IL and I worked in downtown Chicago. My advise to you, do not leave Chicago, AR is a terrible place to live, nothing and I mean nothing to do! People sit around thinking of something to do and when they have thought it up it is a trip to WalMart to shop or a place to go eat and get just a little fatter! I been here 1 year and 6 months and I am planning to leave in 2 more months and never to return! Take it from me, you don't want to be here unless you don't like to do anything but sit around and gain weight.
And *that's* exactly why I asked if she was moving from Naperville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas