Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:56 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times

Advertisements

MODERATOR:
Moderators are evidenced by the gold star beside their name...yes, Stormcrow is a moderator. And a very fine one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Of course if you're white, Latino, Asian, biracial, multiracial, etc you're certainly welcome.

What do you think of this: Ark. blacks can't break state, Congress barrier - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081111/ap_on_el_ge/arkansas_election_race;_ylt=AvPqk1EscbQsREQUhwtD8q us0NUE - broken link)
Let's see now... The US, after race riots in nearly every major city during the 60's to 70's transition, goes and elects the first black president in 2008, and the question becomes are you a racist if you didn't vote for him? That's a crying sham! Whether or not someone votes for Obama is not a litmus test for racism, neither as individuals nor as a state.

The premise of the article is ludicrous on its surface. You don't have to be for someone just because they're black. There were thousands of people here in the Detroit area who voted for Obama for no other reason than simply because he is black. Does that mean that racism, which is what that is, is a good thing?

When logic and reason fly out the door
and stormy words the thousands roar
shattered lives are lost in war.

Let's don't go down that road.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,209 times
I think Bull Winkus is right let's not go down that road.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Quite honestly, I can't remember an African-American running for a statewide office or Congressional seat. It's hard to win if you don't run. And that makes the article rather silly.
Agreed. And maybe one or two that you've forgotten about have run and didn't win, but maybe it wasn't necessarily just because they were black, but possibly because the other candidate was more qualified. As more and more blacks run who are intelligent, articulate, and whose platforms match the values of the people they want to represent, they will start winning.

People are tired of blacks making EVERYTHING about race. It only hinders their cause. (case in point - the Jena 6 debacle) I would vote for a qualified black man who shared my values for president in a heartbeat.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvarkansas View Post
Agreed. And maybe one or two that you've forgotten about have run and didn't win, but maybe it wasn't necessarily just because they were black, but possibly because the other candidate was more qualified. As more and more blacks run who are intelligent, articulate, and whose platforms match the values of the people they want to represent, they will start winning.

People are tired of blacks making EVERYTHING about race. It only hinders their cause. (case in point - the Jena 6 debacle) I would vote for a qualified black man who shared my values for president in a heartbeat.
Me too, J.C. Watts from OK comes to mind!!!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:30 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Default And.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Of course if you're white, Latino, Asian, biracial, multiracial, etc you're certainly welcome.

What do you think of this: Ark. blacks can't break state, Congress barrier - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081111/ap_on_el_ge/arkansas_election_race;_ylt=AvPqk1EscbQsREQUhwtD8q us0NUE - broken link)
Livetodaylez....I gotta ask.

You are the OP, and I missed your further involvement.

What do you think would be my reception if I posted in a state group where the government leaders were predomonantly black, and asked, "Where are my white people?"

If I remotely suggested that we have a "Miss White America" contest, or wanted to start a network called, "White Entertainment Television"?

Miss Black America.com

BET.com | The Latest Music, Entertainment, and Celebrity News and Fashions, TV Shows and Video | Official Site

The fringe will always be out there. The seperatists. The segregationists. Yes, even the racists.

Yes.....*always* be there.

However the lines are not as clear as they were in '64 Selma, or the rest of the south at that time.

Just....something I was pondering.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Me too, J.C. Watts from OK comes to mind!!!!!
Larry Elder

The Official Website Of Larry Elder

Ever heard that guy's radio show?

He's an attorney that has a syndicated show.

He's high on my "Top ten I wanna meet" list.

I would campaign for him for any office.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:26 PM

148 posts, read 350,717 times
How can you get people to run for state or federal office if you can't even keep your best and brightest in the state?

My DH is active duty military and we're being transferred back to AR for a recruiting tour next month. If we didn't have family in the area, there's no way we'd be going back. As young black professionals and master's degree-holders, we want our children to be in an environment with schools of diversity and rigor, one that pays more than lip service to Christianity and Christian values (hello high divorce rates). As soon as our tour's up and we've satisfied the relatives, we'll be headed right back to Europe or the one of the coasts.

C'mon folks, get real. JC Watts couldn't even win in Arkansas these days. His education and command of the English language would be viewed as a threat to the state's less gifted citizens. Both parties, dems and republicans, would put up a white person with similar qualifications in the primary and watch voters flock to the face they're most familiar with. There's a reason why Hillary, based on her experiences in Arkansas politics, said Barack couldn't win.

Until the state can successfully grow and keep young talent within it's borders by lessening the grip of right-wing do-as-I-say religion, you'll never see ethnic diversity on the ballot.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:00 PM

39 posts, read 124,625 times
Thumbs down You're a trip.....

Hahahaha! I really get a kick out of reading some of the posts here. Instead of thinking that the people of Arkansas jumped on the "race and prejudice" bandwagon, is there even a consideration that maybe..just maybe they didn't like his position on political issues? May be they didn't care for his ideas on social ideas? His past voting record on infant rights or gun rights? Or could it be that the people of Arkansas didn't trust him to be the Commander when America is threatened? Maybe they didn't like his affiliations with terrorists or his coddling of anti-American dictators.
The easy thing to say about the people of Arkansas is that they are a bunch of racist. But the hard part of that is proving it! So they didn't have a majority vote for Obama...who are you to say that they are racist because of that fact? You liberals try to convince everyone that you are the broader minded, intellectuals but in fact you are the ones that continually stir up this race issue. Do some research for once and go do some anonymous interviews with the people of Arkansas and find out if they are really the backwards thinking people that you are making them out to be.
Report back with your findings...if you have the guts.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 PM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
How can you get people to run for state or federal office if you can't even keep your best and brightest in the state?

My DH is active duty military and we're being transferred back to AR for a recruiting tour next month. If we didn't have family in the area, there's no way we'd be going back. As young black professionals and master's degree-holders, we want our children to be in an environment with schools of diversity and rigor, one that pays more than lip service to Christianity and Christian values (hello high divorce rates). As soon as our tour's up and we've satisfied the relatives, we'll be headed right back to Europe or the one of the coasts.

C'mon folks, get real. JC Watts couldn't even win in Arkansas these days. His education and command of the English language would be viewed as a threat to the state's less gifted citizens. Both parties, dems and republicans, would put up a white person with similar qualifications in the primary and watch voters flock to the face they're most familiar with. There's a reason why Hillary, based on her experiences in Arkansas politics, said Barack couldn't win.

Until the state can successfully grow and keep young talent within it's borders by lessening the grip of right-wing do-as-I-say religion, you'll never see ethnic diversity on the ballot.
Enjoy the coasts & Europe. Malaga, Spain is nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas