Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 04:04 PM

5 posts, read 11,609 times

Advertisements

What are the best small towns to reside in. My husband & i are looking to relocate to Arkansas. we are looking to buy a house there. My grandmother lives in Jonesboro & needs help, so i dont want to be to far from her, We have 4 children, 3 of which are in school, I also would like to know about the school districts there too. Any help would be so greatly appreciated, Thank You, Emily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM

157 posts, read 854,610 times
Valley View in Jonesboro is ranked the best public school system in the state, 3 years running. I live in Searcy, about 80 miles southwest of J'boro, our schools are excellent, ranked second in the state. Searcy is a smaller college town, about 20,000 people, and quite affordable. All the other good public schools are in the NW part of the state near Fayetteville area. Good luck

Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 11,609 times
Thank You for info, but I think 80 miles is a little to far. Is there any small towns a little closer? I was thinking of possibly Paragould, or Walnut Ridge. In those 2 towns,do they accept northerners? I've heard & read good & bad things about going to these two particular towns. I've read that northerners aren't welcome, but i've also heard too that it just takes time for them to get used to you.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
I don't know about those 2 towns, but from my experiences in living in Jonesboro, I would say that northerners aren't very well accepted. After living there, I realized that most of my friends were also transplanted northerners. It just depends on your lifestyle, of course, but after living in large, cultured cities, Jonesboro was a big shock and disappointment. I would imagine those 2 tiny towns nearby would not be any better. It might help if you have children, to help integrate you into the society there. But from my experience, I was never "accepted" per se.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:42 PM

157 posts, read 854,610 times
I'm from Chicago and have lived in Arkansas for nearly 30 years.
Even after marrying an Arkie, I think the small town folks mostly just tolerate me LOLOL... why not live in Jonesboro?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,459 times
Default Come on over!

I moved to Batesville then to Searcy from California many years ago. I have found the people here to be somewhat unsure of outsiders, but not any more than anywhere else in the country. You will find kind, helpfull people as well as rude ones. I have been to Jonesboro many times and I know people who live there, and I have never had any or heard any complaints. It would be a different atmosphere true, but nothing a strong northerner couldn't handle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas