Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:17 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Got an extra $109,000 just lyin' around? Try this:
Tesla Motors

Or, wait for the GM Volt....supposed to be out in 2010. Still $40,000, though, waaay more than my budget can handle. I did read about some little Chinese company that was making cheaper electrics, gotta think hard to remember where I read about them....or maybe I saw it on the news. Here it is (BYD), in an article in Mother Earth News magazine....this also tells about all the different electric cars in the works....it's interesting:

Electric Cars Coming Soon
Yeah, I heard about Tesla in it's infancy and I've been wanting one ever since.
I don't really want to support GM and I'm really concerned about the reliability of it.

17 Electric Cars You Must Know About : TreeHugger
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...irmed-2012.php

I'm considering living and working in Washington D.C. in the next 5-6 years or so...and the car I have now will be paid off in about 4 years. I might as well just keep the one I have and continue to drive it judiciously rather than locking myself into a car payment.

Thank you for the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
I'm interested in electric cars....not necessarily because I think they'll "save the planet", but because I like the idea of being free from dependence on those barbarians across the sea.

But I do think it's good to use anything that will reduce pollution. We should be good stewards of the earth, because God created it, and to trash it is to show disrespect for Him.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Yeah, it would be nice to not support terrorists everytime I fill up my tank.
I'd love it if Central Arkansas Transit received more funding. I'd ride it more if the buses ran more often and didn't take twice the time to get me where I need to be.
I wouldn't call anyone who lives across the sea a barbarian unless I had the chance to meet him or her and judge for myself. Not every person who lives in the Middle East is a terrorist and/or hates Americans.

I don't believe in god but I do find it so ironic to see Jesus bumper stickers or whatnot on gas guzzlers for people that obviously don't need them. These are not the soccer moms who "need" a huge SUV to lug around their litter or men/women who need a truck for the carrying or towing capacity but those who just like SUVs to show that they have a lot of money. Now I thought you weren't supposed to be showy with your wealth if your subscribe to the Christian faith... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I am from around Chicago and I can tell you that commutes of an hour each way are common. Housing is more affordable, or the executive wants to live in a fashionable suburb that happens to be a long way from the office. Commuter trains sometimes ease the trip. But I did not know that Arkansas has the phenomenon as well. I guess it makes sense, though, when it is so spread out. BTW, the largest source of our foreign oil is Canada

Old 07-25-2010, 08:22 AM

111 posts, read 391,110 times
Er, when you buy an electric car where do you think the electricity comes from?

Also I haven't figured out how people in apartments are supposed to own one if they want one. Would I run a 75 ft extension cord out into the parking lot? When I can't get a close place would I need another 100 ft of cord?

Old 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Its not uncommon in Little Rock to see people commuting from as far as Monticello, Arkadelphia, or Russelville, with many more if not a majority commuting from Conway, Cabot, or Benton. In Fort Smith, many commute from as far as Clarksville or Mena. Do Arkansans really enjoy their 1-2 hour commutes? Do they find them necissary?
Geeze, I didn't realize people in RL actually commuteded 2 hours, a hour, I can believe. Wow. For some, living away from the city makes a longer commute worth it, but 2 hours. Even people in Ca, TX and DC don't spend 4 hours a day on the road.

Nita

Old 07-25-2010, 05:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
This is an 18 month old Thread that has been resurrected, but I'll put in my two-bits worth anyway. Much of today's commute to L.R. is "white flight", but before that there were many of us who commuted one hour each way by choice. Our jobs were in L.R. but we chose to live and raise our kids in the country near a small town. Several times over the years we discussed the pros and cons of buying a home in L.R. but always chose to stay where we were. Now our kids are grown, live in cities, have kids of their own, and often tell us how much they appreciate us giving them the opportunity to grow up where they did. At the time we all realized they were missing out on many things by not growing up in L.R., but our choice was the right one and our kids agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas