Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
We had just the opposite experience, luckily enough.

When we first got here permanently, and not knowing one's elbow from a hole in the ground, we went to get our D.L.'s changed. After waiting in teh office for our turn for about 20 minutes, we got up to the counter, and found we had to go to the assesors office first.

The woman was extremely nice, understanding, and helpful.

So across the street we go, get the paperwork, come back, and there's about 6 people ahead of us.

The woman finished with the people she was dealing with, someone else approached the counter, and she told them, "I'm sorry, but these folks were already started", and called us back up.

She was quick, explained everything, joked, asked genuinely interested questions about our relocation, and got us out quick.

My wife was so impressed, she made her a cross stitch and took it to her.

Then we found out she was the wife of the guy that owns the pest control company that has our termite contract, who is also mondo cool.

We just lucked out, I suppose.
wow, I think you were lucky. We have had a couple nice people but generally they have been really jerks. In NM they were fairly nice, only problem it took about 2 hours. Here, we saw a few smiley faces, one nice old gent but a few real grouches.

Nita

Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM

511 posts, read 799,170 times
Well here's another example of the worthful loving Arkansan locals. I was at the post office and was getting some stuff out of the passenger side. I had the door open. I turned startled to see this dude standing there, arms folded looking very pissed off because I had been blocking his access to his vehicle. I politely apologized and said excuse me. The guy said nothing and got in his vehicle.

It really ticked me off. If I had been the guy, I would have politely said excuse me if someone was in my way. Not act like I am in their backyard. Even shopping at Walmart is a nightmare because people act pissed off if I get in their way. SO I just scowl right back at em!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Wow Dave, you sure do seem to bring out the bad in folks......I do see where you woulda been a little ticked off after you apologized and all though.........

Old 06-06-2009, 03:05 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
why rip the guy if he hates the place. all i can say is, you dont like it ...move. you havent a family to support, kids to feed.. so pick up and move. be lucky you have a job in this post-bush era of lay offs, foreclosures, and still..that lovely war. im sure many.. in say michigan, would hike down to ar-kansas for a job that payed 37k. lastly, you might feel more appreciative of what you do have if you volunteered a bit of your time to help those with much more serious problems. spend a day at a homeless shelter and you might come out thinking you are quite lucky. common sense would say you should have investigated things like various tax rates in the area prior to taking the plunge across the state line.

as far as pple and attitudes, that happens everywhere. some small towns are very cliquish, that too happens in all parts of the country. you have no idea what else happened to the rude dude that day, it may of had nothing to do with you. none the less, rather than complain on this board, get your fingers searching for another job.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,377,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I gotta say, the negatives sure are outweighing the positives, and I am regretting my decision to move here from Texas.

Today was really the capper. I tried to get my driver's license some time ago, and they told me I had to bring a copy of my birth certificate. ARe you kidding me? Thankfully, my mom just happen to find a copy and sent it to me. I went in today hoping to finally get this taken care of. The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.

So basically they expect me to make a trip to my birthplace in Texas to get this one freaking document. Why isn't a driver's license and SS# card good enough?

Oh yea, prepare to pay property tax just for owning a car. Thanks Arkansas. You just took away the main benefit of renting a house vs owning.

I really hate the laws here. According to the website, if I buy an item in Texas, I have to report it for sales tax here, even something small like a cd. Are the law makers just nuts here? I am being taxed so much that my salary of 37K ends up giving me a take home of about 500 a week, the same amount I made in Texas at 30K a year. Why is this a poor state when they just rape people on taxes? State income tax plus high sales tax. Pretty sad when a single guy with no kids can barely make it on 37K here.

The electric company is pretty ridiculous too. I was only two days past the due date on my bills, and they already sent me a shut off notice.

The highway systems are also a mess especially in Bryant and Little Rock. They can not accomadate a growing population. And despite living near a metro area, I only have on option for high speed internet, and it has gone out 3 times already.

I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!
Hmmmm. I just checked my highway atlas and I see that there are still highways from here back to Texas!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM

31 posts, read 104,857 times
Here in Las Vegas, NV it only took me a year to get my DL. The new laws affect all states I was informed. I had to show them my Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, California DL, Adoption papers and SS Card. I was lucky enough that the spelling of my name did not match on all documents. Sooooooooooooo, I had to have my name LEGALLY changed so all the spellings were included. I won't even go into how much money, time, etc all of this cost me. The good thing is, all will be together when I get the DL in Arkansas - I hope! It can't possibly be a worse experience than I have already encountered. I did run into a couple of very nice DMV workers during the process.

We just returned home from 15 glorious days in NWA. We cannot wait to move. People were so nice whether it was at the hotel, grocery store, Wal Mart, etc. There are rude people everywhere but we were blessed enough not to encounter any of them during our trip.

I suggest that if you are unhappy, you move away. Las Vegas would be happy to have you.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:44 PM

31 posts, read 104,857 times
Default Go to Vital Check online

Go to Vital Check to get your birth certificate. It doesn't have to be the original but it MUST contain the State Seal. Maybe this will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I gotta say, the negatives sure are outweighing the positives, and I am regretting my decision to move here from Texas.

Today was really the capper. I tried to get my driver's license some time ago, and they told me I had to bring a copy of my birth certificate. ARe you kidding me? Thankfully, my mom just happen to find a copy and sent it to me. I went in today hoping to finally get this taken care of. The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.

So basically they expect me to make a trip to my birthplace in Texas to get this one freaking document. Why isn't a driver's license and SS# card good enough?

Oh yea, prepare to pay property tax just for owning a car. Thanks Arkansas. You just took away the main benefit of renting a house vs owning.

I really hate the laws here. According to the website, if I buy an item in Texas, I have to report it for sales tax here, even something small like a cd. Are the law makers just nuts here? I am being taxed so much that my salary of 37K ends up giving me a take home of about 500 a week, the same amount I made in Texas at 30K a year. Why is this a poor state when they just rape people on taxes? State income tax plus high sales tax. Pretty sad when a single guy with no kids can barely make it on 37K here.

The electric company is pretty ridiculous too. I was only two days past the due date on my bills, and they already sent me a shut off notice.

The highway systems are also a mess especially in Bryant and Little Rock. They can not accomadate a growing population. And despite living near a metro area, I only have on option for high speed internet, and it has gone out 3 times already.

I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM

148 posts, read 350,672 times
When did all these laws or whatever re: drivers licenses go into effect? DH and I got ours in Jan/Feb and only had to show our old license and military ID. No SS card, no marriage cert. nada. In fact, we registered our cars at the same time and they didn't ask for any ID when we did that. DH joked that we could've been registering stolen vehicles and no one would have been any wiserour neighbors cars as our own for all they new. They even transferred my motorcycle endorsement w/o requiring any new testing.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
When did all these laws or whatever re: drivers licenses go into effect? DH and I got ours in Jan/Feb and only had to show our old license and military ID. No SS card, no marriage cert. nada. In fact, we registered our cars at the same time and they didn't ask for any ID when we did that. DH joked that we could've been registering stolen vehicles and no one would have been any wiserour neighbors cars as our own for all they new. They even transferred my motorcycle endorsement w/o requiring any new testing.
maybe it has to do with your being military, we had to show quite a bit, a marriage license? No but SS card, yes.

Nita

Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM
pau

45 posts, read 120,831 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
well, if that's what you're going by, the LR/NLR/Conway metro has over 600,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas