Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:01 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I couldn't agree more.
I would like to see the governor support more start-ups instead of trying to convince other companies to come relocate here or something to that effect. Why not help the people within your own state?
At least they have more of an interest in whether or not the business stays afloat. They feel more connected to the state and want to see it prosper vs a corporation who more or less only cares about the bottom line and will move elsewhere should they find a better offer. There is no loyalty.
Have you read Big Box Swindle? It's a great read.

How would bringing community colleges up to a four-year status be good?
I think Arkansas has a good # of four year schools and a good # of community colleges. I think they both have their places.
I like knowing that I can receive a great quality education at a community college for a fraction of the cost of what a four year college/university would cost me AND should I want to pursue a bachelor's, my classes will be accepted if I pursued an associate's degree and took the right courses.
I don't think a bachelor's degree is necessarily the end all be all to success and a job. There are plenty of programs at community colleges that will pay good money. We need those skills as well.
I'm not knocking four year colleges/universities. They have a place as well.

Now if we could get a four year education at a community college price...then I might be on board.

I'm not quite sure I understand the foundation in the statement about UALR, ASU, and UA to accept students with a pulse. Maybe I missed a few newspaper articles or a news feature? I try to stay up-to-date on these kind of issues.
The idea behind upgrading more community colleges to 4 year institutions is that our larger schools have become a bit too accepting of lower performing students. I remember the old joke about the University of Georgia and to many people most any southern college could be substituted: "You know it just ain't true what they say about the University of Georgia, you can't get a degree just by driving across campus, you have to roll your window down first so they can throw it in the car!" Some of our smaller schools should be reaching out to those students whose ACT/SAT scores aren't optimal and whose GPA's aren't all that high, for whatever reason. Having a couple more former community colleges upgraded will offer more local opportunities for these students. Maybe I don't understand everything, but I see no reason why upgrading to a 4 year school should result in a necessary "upgrade" in cost nor preclude solely 2 year students enrolling and completing their desired educations.

Admittedly, my remark about accepting anyone with a pulse was purely sensationalistic and I apologize to anyone offended by it. But the point was that our flagship schools should not be the ones taking students requiring large levels of remedial work. If we can make schools like UAF and UALR more selective, then we can more easily attract talented professors who can bring more research grants and opportunities to those future Arkansas-loyal entrepreneurs. The doors of these schools should always be open to transfer students who were late bloomers and have tackled all the necessities to be successful at a different institution, however.

Hopefully, now that we have the lottery passed it will succeed in it's stated purpose of opening doors of education to those who might not otherwise afford it but who have the capabilities to be successful. Of which, our state has more than it's fair share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:17 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post

It would certainly make Arkansas look good if a community college or two offered programs in installing and maintaining solar panels and installing and building wind turbines. I predict once the economy eventually gets better, there will be more demand for solar panels and wind turbines.
Lots of welding on the turbines I believe. Excellent welding program at UAFS.

UAFS also has some six year programs and is going to start offering minors this year.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shula View Post
I get tired of people telling us Ft. Smith does not have the high tech jobs because of the lack of education in the area. The fact is, bring the jobs and the workers will soon follow. I am sure, that workers would much rather live in Ft. Smith, AR. than in places like houston or Detroit!
I agree with you....I haven't been there in about four years but I like it there.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM

77 posts, read 238,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
Lots of welding on the turbines I believe. Excellent welding program at UAFS.

UAFS also has some six year programs and is going to start offering minors this year.
The vast majority of a turbine is fiber with only the tower being steel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I agree with you....I haven't been there in about four years but I like it there.
I would assume that most of those in professions that require an education, have cultural values that severally class with the identity of Fort Smith and most of Arkansas for that matter. So placing something besides labor jobs in Arkansas is not really of benefit to human capital.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:46 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
The idea behind upgrading more community colleges to 4 year institutions is that our larger schools have become a bit too accepting of lower performing students. I remember the old joke about the University of Georgia and to many people most any southern college could be substituted: "You know it just ain't true what they say about the University of Georgia, you can't get a degree just by driving across campus, you have to roll your window down first so they can throw it in the car!" Some of our smaller schools should be reaching out to those students whose ACT/SAT scores aren't optimal and whose GPA's aren't all that high, for whatever reason. Having a couple more former community colleges upgraded will offer more local opportunities for these students. Maybe I don't understand everything, but I see no reason why upgrading to a 4 year school should result in a necessary "upgrade" in cost nor preclude solely 2 year students enrolling and completing their desired educations.

Admittedly, my remark about accepting anyone with a pulse was purely sensationalistic and I apologize to anyone offended by it. But the point was that our flagship schools should not be the ones taking students requiring large levels of remedial work. If we can make schools like UAF and UALR more selective, then we can more easily attract talented professors who can bring more research grants and opportunities to those future Arkansas-loyal entrepreneurs. The doors of these schools should always be open to transfer students who were late bloomers and have tackled all the necessities to be successful at a different institution, however.

Hopefully, now that we have the lottery passed it will succeed in it's stated purpose of opening doors of education to those who might not otherwise afford it but who have the capabilities to be successful. Of which, our state has more than it's fair share.
Well four year colleges/universities have a lot more overhead to worry about than community colleges. [dorms, maintenance of the dorms, sports team(s), etc]
I'm all for upgrading standards.
I attend Pulaski Technical College and they're one of two colleges(Fayettville is the other) that require a 21 or above to get into College Algebra. Most universities just allow a 19.
Now that doesn't mean you can't get into either one of the schools if you've got a score lower than 21 but I think raising standards is a good idea, it gives students something to strive for.
At the same time, I know every school is not equal. I know kids who are proud of a 17 on ACT and others who are ashamed of a 25. I'm happy with my little 25 but I feel kinda...slow in comparison to my girlfriend's 32.

You sound like the legislator or representative (I forget) that wants only community colleges to teach remedial courses. I know recently the state put out the stats on colleges and the % of students in certain remedial courses. It was pretty shocking. I will put myself out there say I'm in a remedial algebra course and I scored a 19 on the math section. My grades in math have fluctuated in K-12 from straight As all throughout the year to Ds and Fs because I didn't have the motivation. On the ACT however, I just psyched myself out because I have a huge math complex when it comes to the act.
BUT...what's done is done. I'm going places and I'm not worried about not graduating from college.

I hope the lottery works too. I would like to see it like the Arkansas Academic Challenge scholarship without the income restriction/policy. I could have certainly gotten the Arkansas Challenge scholarship but my parents supposedly make "too much money." If you can, I suggest checking out a somewhat recent issue of Arkansas Business. It talked about the "arms race" of universities trying to recruit top students. My girlfriend will be attending UALR this fall and she receives a $10,000 stipend PER SEMESTER for being in the Honors College. If UALR had my major, I'd most certainly be transferring to get that stipend....oh and of course expand my horizons.

I didn't take offense to any of your statements and I loved that joke about Georgia.
[Excuse the long reply...]

Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
As for Fort Smith, with Tulsa, NWA, OKC, Little Rock, and Dallas nearby stealing Fort Smith's talent, I don't see the town having much of a future except for maybe a retirement and tourist town like Hot Springs.
I'm not an Arkansas resident, but this comment caught my attention, as being a retirement and tourist town isn't much of a future to have or one I would recommend any town pursue. You don't want to turn into an Asheville NC (a town that i love and live in ) and after nearly 10 years will likely be forced out of due to a lack of jobs and an overload of touristy jobs paying near minimum wage and rampant unchecked development. You'll only end up with an unhappy situation and a developing rift between the locals and the wealthier part time retirees who raise housing costs but do little to support the economy and don't pay taxes there.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 AM

465 posts, read 1,417,397 times
I work as a welder and I am hesitant to call it a labor job as I have worked real labor jobs and the hardest thing I usually have to do is make sure I look busy when the plant manager walks through. Just put a microwave at my welding table and I can usually sit and weld at the same time. If I want to weld something for myself it's cool as long as no big jobs are going out or anything.
I was locked up with the engineers for a week and I just about went crazy with boredom. I honestly wouldn't want a cubicle job.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,208,081 times
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
I work as a welder and I am hesitant to call it a labor job
I've got frriends that are welders, and a couple of them are "precision" welders. That ain't no knuckle-dragging job. Welding is not easy, and I, for one, stand in awe when I watch a welder doing their thing.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,759,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
i

I've got frriends that are welders, and a couple of them are "precision" welders. That ain't no knuckle-dragging job. Welding is not easy, and I, for one, stand in awe when I watch a welder doing their thing.
I totally agree! Welders are certainly underappreciated and not many people understand what it takes to do what they do. Don't get me started on some new fangled welding technologies like laser welding and what all is involved in that.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 AM

86 posts, read 255,251 times
Honey has always said not all welders are welders. It is an Art to be a good one and many are not. Just like old time machinist. Not the same as the new ones that push buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas