Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,670 times

Advertisements

[quote=Luvvarkansas;7550847] That this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles is hard to ignore, and we reap the benefits of that today still, although the effects are waning somewhat, especially with the latest election.

Not to come off rude, but you are very, very mistaken. Our founding fathers were agnostic, if not totally atheist. I just thought you might want to do a little research so that we can end this "misunderstanding" that so many "Christians" seem to have here in the US.

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." -Benjamin Franklin

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." - James Madison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
MOD CUT! Back on topic please!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
[quote=skyegirl;7551165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
That this country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles is hard to ignore, and we reap the benefits of that today still, although the effects are waning somewhat, especially with the latest election.

Not to come off rude, but you are very, very mistaken. Our founding fathers were agnostic, if not totally atheist. I just thought you might want to do a little research so that we can end this "misunderstanding" that so many "Christians" seem to have here in the US.

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." -Benjamin Franklin

"Question with boldness even the existence of God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." - James Madison
Yeah....you can find plenty of quotes in the other direction, too. And I agree about religious bondage being a bad thing.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,299,837 times
Default Beautiful......

Most of the State Parks in Arkansas are just beautiful and Arkansas is blessed to have some very beautiful lakes, rivers and streams. Wished we could move some of the scenic beauty down to the southern part of Arkansas. It's a blessing to know that fun is just within a day trip just anywhere in Arkansas. Camping and fishing is fun in Arkansas.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:55 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
Most of the State Parks in Arkansas are just beautiful and Arkansas is blessed to have some very beautiful lakes, rivers and streams. Wished we could move some of the scenic beauty down to the southern part of Arkansas. It's a blessing to know that fun is just within a day trip just anywhere in Arkansas. Camping and fishing is fun in Arkansas.
You're right....all of the state parks I've been to in Arkansas are exceptionally nice. I've been to Petit Jean, Mt. Nebo, Mt. Magazine, Withrow Springs (small but nice), not to mention the Buffalo National River and Hot Springs National Park. And Eureka Springs, while not a state or national park, is a unique experience!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:50 PM

166 posts, read 489,866 times
I would move to Arkansas for: Natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and (perceived) shared values or just being treated kindly like I do so with folks also.

But if I move there, the state will be changed, because I'll be bringing a different perspective. I'm not from Arkansas. And neither was anyone else at some point, so I guess that shouldn't be a big deal.

I see alot of opinions about change here on CD...mostly against vs pro. This particular thread is more open and honest when it comes to pro vs against. That in itself is good for Arkansas IMO.

Are some of ya'all open to having increased job opportunites if it means more out-staters might bring some experience your way? Is there a general or overwhelming sentiment about keeping business and folks outta the state? If so that's a huge downside.

I hope to have kids one day and worry about moving somewhere that opportunities will force them to move away. I don't want my kids to have to move away because the only jobs available are minimum wage at Wal-Mart, or conversely, we're somewhere that the rent is $1500 a month for a one-bedroom like in CA. We all need opportunity.... If growth and opportunity exists within our communities we don't lose so much.... The Midwest is becoming a vacuum because some of us are unable to adapt to a changing economy and world. It is a real shame.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
This would be a thread for those who are considering moving to AR.

1)People are generally friendly
2) The traffic isn't that bad
3) We'd love to have you.

Keep it goin' folks.

Take me! Take me! I'd love to live in Arkansas.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe stixpuck View Post
I would move to Arkansas for: Natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and (perceived) shared values or just being treated kindly like I do so with folks also.

But if I move there, the state will be changed, because I'll be bringing a different perspective. I'm not from Arkansas. And neither was anyone else at some point, so I guess that shouldn't be a big deal.

I see alot of opinions about change here on CD...mostly against vs pro. This particular thread is more open and honest when it comes to pro vs against. That in itself is good for Arkansas IMO.

Are some of ya'all open to having increased job opportunites if it means more out-staters might bring some experience your way? Is there a general or overwhelming sentiment about keeping business and folks outta the state? If so that's a huge downside.

I hope to have kids one day and worry about moving somewhere that opportunities will force them to move away. I don't want my kids to have to move away because the only jobs available are minimum wage at Wal-Mart, or conversely, we're somewhere that the rent is $1500 a month for a one-bedroom like in CA. We all need opportunity.... If growth and opportunity exists within our communities we don't lose so much.... The Midwest is becoming a vacuum because some of us are unable to adapt to a changing economy and world. It is a real shame.
Maybe in smaller towns people may not want outsiders but I think most in Little Rock, North Little Rock and Conway (larger cities and the ones I'm familiar with), they're open to having more people come. It means more growth and that means $$. Arkansas is a poor state and anytime you have someone who wants to better it, we welcome you with open arms....or heck, I would.
I'm all for more people moving here but I would like to see less sprawl in the central Arkansas area.
The governor seems to want new industry here and that's good. I'd love to see more solar energy here and I think with the right leadership, Arkansas can lead. I'd much rather see the state invest the money that's currently in biofuels be put into solar technology and trying to get companies that manufacture solar panels come here.
At the same time, I'm not aware of any programs in the state that train people to build and maintain solar panels.
A big reason why companies don't come here is because there is such a low percentage of people with a college degree. Last I checked, we're #50 out of 50...not a good look. Of course some will argue that not everyone needs a college degree and I agree. At the same time, people need some kind of skill or trade that makes them marketable.

I agree that there isn't an abundance of jobs (it isn't a wasteland but it isn't a place where there are 4-5 jobs for every college degree graduate, ya know?) for those with college degrees but I think as more people with college degrees decide to stay within the state or relocate here, more opportunities will surface.
I was looking in the job section of the paper yesterday and it seemed like if you had a college degree, you had a lot more opportunities than someone who didn't. It didn't even have to be a four year degree. Some places were just accepting applicants who had at least two years of college while others wanted a secretary with a bachelor's degree in Business or whatnot.

I think if you decided to make AR your home and have kids, I doubt they'll HAVE to move away to find a job. Of course it all depends on what field they want to go into.
You can't take a few people's opinions and apply them to the whole state. You have to think of how many people live in AR and how many you see represented on this board. I know plenty of people who wish we had more people in the state so we can see some growth and more opportunity. I'd love to see Little Rock grow to about 500,000-750,000 and that's just Little Rock. Of course with that I don't want to see highways look like the ones in CA and see all that traffic. We'd have to invest in public/mass transportation and HOV lanes....etc. I'd like for housing to remain affordable...which sounds like something that wouldn't be possible with a lot of growth but I think with the right leadership, it can be done.

I used to hate AR with a passion but now I want to stay and see it be the best it can be. Come on down. We'd love to have you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Take me! Take me! I'd love to live in Arkansas.
You're not that far. Come on up!! lol.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
I'm all for more people moving here but I would like to see less sprawl in the central Arkansas area.
Fix the LRSD so transplants can feel safe sending their kids there, and build affordable MIDDLE CLASS housing in Little Rock/North Little Rock proper and the city will grow. From an objective point of view, why live in Little Rock when you can live in Conway and get a LOT more house for your money and have an excellent public school system? To most people, the advantages of living in Conway are worth the commute.

Quote:
I'd love to see Little Rock grow to about 500,000-750,000 and that's just Little Rock. Of course with that I don't want to see highways look like the ones in CA and see all that traffic. We'd have to invest in public/mass transportation and HOV lanes....etc. I'd like for housing to remain affordable...which sounds like something that wouldn't be possible with a lot of growth but I think with the right leadership, it can be done.
It wont happen as long as Arkansas keeps passing stupid laws to slap anybody who is not a WHASP (White Heterosexual Anglo-Saxon Protestant) in the face. Corporations will have no interest in relocating to a place that continually feels the need to show the world how backwards and stuck in the 19th century it is. Take a look at the high-growth knowledge-based economies in the United States and compare them to Arkansas. Take a look at the SF Bay Area. Look at Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Louisville, the Triangle. Then ask yourself how are they different from Arkansas?

Education is a must, but education alone won't enable Arkansas to climb the image perception Mt. Everest it faces.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Fix the LRSD so transplants can feel safe sending their kids there, and build affordable MIDDLE CLASS housing in Little Rock/North Little Rock proper and the city will grow. From an objective point of view, why live in Little Rock when you can live in Conway and get a LOT more house for your money and have an excellent public school system? To most people, the advantages of living in Conway are worth the commute.

It wont happen as long as Arkansas keeps passing stupid laws to slap anybody who is not a WHASP (White Heterosexual Anglo-Saxon Protestant) in the face. Corporations will have no interest in relocating to a place that continually feels the need to show the world how backwards and stuck in the 19th century it is. Take a look at the high-growth knowledge-based economies in the United States and compare them to Arkansas. Take a look at the SF Bay Area. Look at Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Louisville, the Triangle. Then ask yourself how are they different from Arkansas?

Education is a must, but education alone won't enable Arkansas to climb the image perception Mt. Everest it faces.
Haven't you posted this same comment or a similar one about a dozen times?
Holy Cow, look at Ca? Are you kidding, the only people moving into Ca right now are illigals...People are moving out as fast as they can, but of course some are stuck because of the real estate market. I am from Ca, still have family there and visit quite often..We lived for many years in the bay area and my bosses live right in SF. Believe me, you don't know much about the state as it is right now: high growth, business, not hardly..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas