Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM

95 posts, read 502,596 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info Sam I Am. We will be moving to AR next month & R-ville will be the 1st place we would like to see. I am a factory worker & Mr. K is customer service. We are not attorney material but are definitely willing to work. My husband is sitting here watching me type in his "Old Guys Rule" shirt & making faces when I ask for him to help me ask something else. I'm sure I will have more questions soon. Any positive info on Russellville is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 03:39 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.andMrs.Krinkle View Post
Thanks for the info Sam I Am. We will be moving to AR next month & R-ville will be the 1st place we would like to see. I am a factory worker & Mr. K is customer service. We are not attorney material but are definitely willing to work. My husband is sitting here watching me type in his "Old Guys Rule" shirt & making faces when I ask for him to help me ask something else. I'm sure I will have more questions soon. Any positive info on Russellville is greatly appreciated.
MrandMrsK, we are going to re-locate next spring and Russellville area is one we are interested in seeing. From all we have found out from Sam I AM and our research it sounds pretty promising. No place is perfect but some better than others. We are looking for a house we can afford and still be comfortable in, a small to mid size town, friendly people, medical facilities close by a place that is slightly conservative. NMNita

Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 PM

388 posts, read 1,779,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
.... We are looking for a house we can afford and still be comfortable in, a small to mid size town, friendly people, medical facilities close by a place that is slightly conservative. NMNita
If you get a chance, you might want to run up and take a look at Heber Springs.

Home prices are better than Russelville, 6400 hundred people. Baptist Health maintains a small hospital there, but they're moving to the outskirts of town to a bigger place.

ASU is building a new campus there.

The lake is clean, though it does get a little crowded on the weekends in summer.

About an hour to LR.

Jobs might be a problem if that's a concern, but I suspect serious growth is on the way.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:52 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,206,535 times
I love Heber, but it is definitely crowded in the summertime - there is a WONDERFUL lake there if you're into boating.

I happen to be thrilled with Russellville - wouldn't call anywhere else home! Pope County consistently has some of the better home prices in the state. It's sort of got a small town feel to it, but there are lots of places to eat and decent shopping, and it's a little over an hour to Little Rock. There's a great downtown area which is really growing around the depot, which has been renovated. They have a farmer's market there - Art Fridays are on the first Friday of every month. The Christmas parade EVERYONE turns out for - there's ValleyFest, which is the summer festival, with live music (Tracy Lawrence was here this year) and lots of arts and crafts. Arkansas Tech is here, but it's more day students from the local area than anything else.

As far as factory work, there's ConAgra and Tyson's. The nuclear plant is always hiring...there's a Staples, Starbucks, IHOP is coming soon - Target is going in, and there's a super Wal mart and also a Kmart....J.C. Penney's, Hobby Lobby...all kinds of smaller businesses. There's two Krogers, a Four Seasons (independent) and another one I can't remember the name of....Walgreen's....

I think the population is probably around 30-35,000 now. If you're looking for something smaller, Morrilton is east and Clarksville is west...both very nice little towns!

St. Mary's hospital is here - adequate, nothing to write home about. Lots of doctors, lots of churches. Very conservative town that pretty much rolls up the streets at midnight....or before! We love it - we lived in Little Rock most of our lives, but this is definitely home.

NMNita has already been invited to PM us prior to their arrival - we'd love to show you around, or just show a little hospitality - and the Krinkles are welcome to drop in, too!

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can on this forum, or feel free to PM me. We just bought a new house and are moving over the next couple of days, but I'll definitely be checking in...

Happy hunting!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM

95 posts, read 502,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
MrandMrsK, we are going to re-locate next spring and Russellville area is one we are interested in seeing. From all we have found out from Sam I AM and our research it sounds pretty promising. No place is perfect but some better than others. We are looking for a house we can afford and still be comfortable in, a small to mid size town, friendly people, medical facilities close by a place that is slightly conservative. NMNita
Russellville does look like a good choice-Sam I AM is very helpful and it's good to know that people like this live in Russellville. Good luck in your upcoming move.
We just found some storage areas in Russellville so we'll be calling them to find a place to put our things until we get a place to rent or buy. We'll most likely be staying in a hotel/motel until we get a place and jobs. We are ready to go now! but can't until our escrow closes in mid July.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM

21 posts, read 94,939 times
Russellville is a great town, but man it is humid, and the lakes are dirty, and yes I am sure it's Russellville that reaks to high heaven they have a rendering plant there on 7t and the days they don't use their chemicals as their supposed to, the whole town reaks of dead animals and burning byproducts!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Russellville is a great town, but man it is humid, and the lakes are dirty, and yes I am sure it's Russellville that reaks to high heaven they have a rendering plant there on 7t and the days they don't use their chemicals as their supposed to, the whole town reaks of dead animals and burning byproducts!
Pilgrim's Pride, which is part of ConAgra, DOES have a rendering plant off 7T - but that is by and large an industrial area behind Bibbler's Lumber and around the animal shelter somewhere....and yes, it does stink on bad days, no doubt about it. If you are headed south on Hwy. 7 toward Dardanelle and go over the top of the hill at Bibbler's, that's where it starts. There are some housing areas back west and Dardanelle across the river. Go house hunting midday and you'll probably catch the smell - then you know where NOT to buy! We are about a mile north from there and never smell a thing.

As for the lake being dirty???? Okay, it isn't crystal clear, but it has more catfish per acre than any lake in the state, and many national bass tournies are held there. Go to Piney or Shoal Creek, where the water quality is absolutely excellent, for canoeing and whitewatering. There ARE prettier lakes in the state, I will give you that. The new visitor's center on the lake will give you a lot of info on the water quality and also the fishing and boating activities on the lake.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:11 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Pilgrim's Pride, which is part of ConAgra, DOES have a rendering plant off 7T - but that is by and large an industrial area behind Bibbler's Lumber and around the animal shelter somewhere....and yes, it does stink on bad days, no doubt about it. If you are headed south on Hwy. 7 toward Dardanelle and go over the top of the hill at Bibbler's, that's where it starts. There are some housing areas back west and Dardanelle across the river. Go house hunting midday and you'll probably catch the smell - then you know where NOT to buy! We are about a mile north from there and never smell a thing.

As for the lake being dirty???? Okay, it isn't crystal clear, but it has more catfish per acre than any lake in the state, and many national bass tournies are held there. Go to Piney or Shoal Creek, where the water quality is absolutely excellent, for canoeing and whitewatering. There ARE prettier lakes in the state, I will give you that. The new visitor's center on the lake will give you a lot of info on the water quality and also the fishing and boating activities on the lake.
Sam, I for one want to thank you. We were going to ask you to clarify what was written. It almost made us think twice about looking in the area. As for odor, we lived one year in Eureka,California. There was a local paper mill and during the summer especially the smell was awful: awful only in one area, yet you would be amazed at how many, even now, talk about the paper mill smell. Some people can find the negative about anything and everything. Nita

Old 06-29-2007, 11:15 AM

21 posts, read 94,939 times
As far as the smell only being in the area you mentioned "NO WAY"! It's all the way around russellville. I lived off West main on South Inglewood and we could smell it there. Also on East main N & S Arkansas/7 as well as the by the high school on 7t and that's that. The truth is the people that live in Russellville don't smell that anymore, some of them do, but most don't. When you live there all your life and get use to it i guess you don't really notice it. I mean by all means it is a great town but the smell is terrible no ands ifs or buts about it, the summer it smells worse. All I am sayin is that I come from Mtn. Home and White river is clear as tap water and so are the lakes, and there where NO smells. So I just wasn't use to it. "the smell that is"

Old 06-29-2007, 11:23 AM

No, sorry, my dear.....I just moved from S. Fairbanks, 4 blocks off W. Main, so I know exactly where you are talking about, unless you were WAY down Inglewood.....

I have not lived here all my life - I'm used to nothing, we just moved back from the Caribbean about 9 months ago - but we have company a lot and no one ever mentions it. I'm one mile away now, on West 8th St. We've never smelled a thing except when down by Bibbler's...and 7T takes you right by the high school, of course you're going to be able to smell it some there! Considering that the wind usually blows west to east, it actually blows more south toward the bottom end of Pottsville. I will give you that the Kroger on 7S and that area through there can smell pretty ripe at times, but again - primarily industrial.

I love Mtn. Home, too...and we have a cabin on the White River at Mtn. View...the river there looks just like the lake here, but I DO think the area you are at is absolutely lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas