Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 02:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times

Advertisements

Local News (http://pulaskinews.net/articles/2009/02/27/the_times/local_news/nws15.txt - broken link)

Quote:
He [Mayor Hays of North Little Rock]said he learned that $8 billion has been set aside for high-speed rail and the state has already done research about such a system between Little Rock and Dallas.
If such a system was in place, would you ride it?

There has even been talk of high speed rail between Little Rock and Memphis...

It made me happy to read this:
Quote:
Jim McKenzie, executive director of Metroplan, told the group Central Arkansas Transit was in line to get $75.4 million while highways were estimated to get $14.2 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Seems like a lot of money to connect a small metropolitan area with one of the country's largest. In other words, I question what the demand would be. Even more money would be wasted, IMO, by having a line that connects LR and Memphis. The money would be better spent connecting the major Texas cities with high-speed rail.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 PM

148 posts, read 350,672 times
I'd use it in a heartbeat. We have family in Dallas and Memphis so we could visit them with our kids with less hassle and more relaxation. I imagine there'd be hoards of young-ish people on any given weekend hungry for a taste of real nightlife too, maybe catching a touring broadway show or concert series. I love being close enough to my mom in WLR that she can watch my kids overnight on occasion. I hate that when she does watch them there's really nowhere interesting for DH and I to go! High speed rail to Dallas (or even memphis for a basketball game) would be awesome. No drinking and driving required. On second thought, whoo-boy would this do a number on the meager attractions in LR now. Who'd stay in town when you could catch a train and be in Memphis in 90 minutes or Dallas in a couple hours? I here IKEA calling...

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
It kinda sounds like a bridge to nowwhere considering the mountains and hills and trees in Arkansas. Dallas would not be impossible, but how many people in Dallas what to go to Little Rock.. You have to have a pretty hefty ridership to support high rail. What happens after the novelty wears off. If I was this gpvernor of this state I would want to create lot of reasons fro people to visit Arkansas and spend money. The state offers a lot of interesting things but they are scattered, unconncted and not partifularly easy to get to. NW Ark is just one example with five different and interesting venues. .

Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 AM

231 posts, read 380,763 times
I do not have the statistics but I do know that LR has a large business base. I also know that LR has a busy airport... Business travel, I would wager, is the largest percentage of their customers. So having a High Speed transit from LR to another large area that has frequent business customers visiting is a great idea. So if anyone had some stats from the LR airport then we might be able to say if this is a "bridge to nowhere."

Old 02-28-2009, 09:20 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
I'd use it in a heartbeat. We have family in Dallas and Memphis so we could visit them with our kids with less hassle and more relaxation. I imagine there'd be hoards of young-ish people on any given weekend hungry for a taste of real nightlife too, maybe catching a touring broadway show or concert series. I love being close enough to my mom in WLR that she can watch my kids overnight on occasion. I hate that when she does watch them there's really nowhere interesting for DH and I to go! High speed rail to Dallas (or even memphis for a basketball game) would be awesome. No drinking and driving required. On second thought, whoo-boy would this do a number on the meager attractions in LR now. Who'd stay in town when you could catch a train and be in Memphis in 90 minutes or Dallas in a couple hours? I here IKEA calling...
I know I'd be one of those "young-ish" people hopping on the train.
Saves me gas money, great for the environment, AND I get there faster...sign me up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
It kinda sounds like a bridge to nowwhere considering the mountains and hills and trees in Arkansas. Dallas would not be impossible, but how many people in Dallas what to go to Little Rock.. You have to have a pretty hefty ridership to support high rail. What happens after the novelty wears off. If I was this gpvernor of this state I would want to create lot of reasons fro people to visit Arkansas and spend money. The state offers a lot of interesting things but they are scattered, unconncted and not partifularly easy to get to. NW Ark is just one example with five different and interesting venues. .
I can see your point about the novelty wearing off.

I would like to see some kind of mass transit from Conway to Little Rock. I know to some people the drive isn't nothing but I can't stand making the drive from NLR to Conway to visit my friends. I love 'em to death but when gas goes up...they may be seeing even less of me.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:55 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,257 times
I definitely would. I am so over the drive to Dallas and Southwest doesn't have the $49 roundtrip fares they did back in the day. Plus, flying SUX anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas