Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you know it was illegal to mispronounce 'Ar-kan-saw' in Arkansas?
Yes. I knew that. 3 11.11%
No. I didn't know that. 4 14.81%
I still don't know that. It sounds ridiculous to me. 20 74.07%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times

Advertisements

It's a simple question.

Is is illegal in Arkansas to mispronounce Ar-kan-saw?

I heard this a long time ago and just ran across it again. Raise your hand if you already knew it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
I think that's an urban legend.

Arkansas Code (Title 1, Chapter 4, Section 105) states the following:

Quote:
1-4-105.Pronunciation of state name.

Whereas, confusion of practice has arisen in the pronunciation of the name of our state and it is deemed important that the true pronunciation should be determined for use in oral official proceedings.

And, whereas, the matter has been thoroughly investigated by the State Historical Society and the Eclectic Society of Little Rock, which have agreed upon the correct pronunciation as derived from history and the early usage of the American immigrants.

Be it therefore resolved by both houses of the General Assembly, that the only true pronunciation of the name of the state, in the opinion of this body, is that received by the French from the native Indians and committed to writing in the French word representing the sound. It should be pronounced in three (3) syllables, with the final “s” silent, the “a” in each syllable with the Italian sound, and the accent on the first and last syllables. The pronunciation with the accent on the second syllable with the sound of “a” in “man” and the sounding of the terminal “s” is an innovation to be discouraged.
Note the last word -- 'discouraged'. Not illegal, just discouraged.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
Mis-pronouncin' our be-love-ed state's name?

Tha's uh stabbin' were iz from, boy!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,132 times
The only one I've heard not pronounce it correctly is the chick on my Garmin Nuvi GPS.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I think that's an urban legend.

Arkansas Code (Title 1, Chapter 4, Section 105) states the following:

Note the last word -- 'discouraged'. Not illegal, just discouraged.
Well, there goes any usefulness in my poll.

But I'm glad you found the right answer anyway. So, it's OK if you mispronounce it, just don't do it in front of an old-timer? ... especially if he's a retired legislator?

It really chaps me when I hear someone pronounce it R-kansas! They ought to get a fine.... And, some time in the poky, if they do it again!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
They ought to get a fine....
They oughtta get cut three ways....

1. Long

2. Deep

3. Frequently

Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Quote:
Well, there goes any usefulness in my poll.

But I'm glad you found the right answer anyway. So, it's OK if you mispronounce it, just don't do it in front of an old-timer? ... especially if he's a retired legislator?
They're gonna be a really old old-timer, and a really retired retired legislator, if they were around for that one. Like, at least 160 years old.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 PM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times
Quote:
It's a simple question.

Is is illegal in Arkansas to mispronounce Ar-kan-saw?

I heard this a long time ago and just ran across it again. Raise your hand if you already knew it!
False False False

Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
It really chaps me when I hear someone pronounce it R-kansas! They ought to get a fine.... And, some time in the poky, if they do it again!
I've never heard anyone say it that way when referring to the state. If they did, it was as a joke.
Only to the Arkansas River(sometimes), or the town in Kansas called Arkansas City.

People in Arkansas get irritated at that pronunciation, then they turn around and call themselves R-Kansans. Go figure.
It's Arkansawer's people! Just ask my grandma!

Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Lol this thread just happened to be on top. I've never heard Arkansas mispronounced here in Maryland at all, only time was in Spanish when we saw a movie where an English teacher in Central America said "Ar-Kansas". Even people who are new to America, like my Asian parents before they became American and spoke regular English, never buthcered it that bad.

People do continusouly debate how to pronounce Ne-vaa-da of Ne-vaah-da. Same with Colorado. Arkansas is a cool state though. Sam Walton saves my pocketbook every week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas