U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:28 PM

10 posts, read 36,286 times

Advertisements

I lived in Blytheville for over sixteen years. When the base was there it was pretty nice. When they left it slowly became like a ghost town. The only good jobs are the mills and not alot of women work there. When the children graduated the first thing they wanted to do was leave. We left after my husband's company left and moved to another country. We are now in Florida and loving it. We have friends and family still in Blytheville but we don't want to live there anymore. I too would move to Jonesboro area. Crime in Blytheville is very high and the school are not advanced in any manner. We did not realize this till we moved to Saint Augustine during my daughter junior year of highschool. The one thing I must say the people was very good to us. The cost of liveing there is not all that cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 10:03 AM

37 posts, read 211,949 times
Default Before You Move There

Go visit the place and see for yourself. I don't think you are going to like what you see. If you have kids, be sure and thoroughly check out the schools. I think you will find that they are substandard. It is certainly not an attractive town and high crime combined with poor shopping, services and cultural amenities does not seem like a good situation to me. You get all of the nastiness of big city living with none of the bonuses.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Default Confused

Why is the city being mostly African American a problem. All African Americans are not "thugs" or "poor" or live in the "ghetto". I consider my family to be very wealthy. My husband has his own business and I have a big house, 3 nice cars, and more money than you can probably imagine. Yes, I was born and raised in Blytheville and both of our jobs are "legal". We both went to college and I can say "We are doing well in Blytheville, AR. and so are our children." It's not the neighborhood that makes a child or a person, it's ignorance that they live in or around or hear that corrupts them, such as mostly African American live in a given place. Anyone can succeed anywhere they go if they have faith and trust in God. Color shouldn't shape the location a person choose to live in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I had family who lived there and hated it, and moved soon after. A ton of crime in the city; it is very poor, mostly african american, and a bad school system. Thus, there are a lot of poor, uneducated thug kids wandering around and committing crimes (car and home break ins mainly). No huge crimes, not like there are a lot of murders, but my family got very tired of having their garage and home broken into.

Real estate is "cheap" b/c 75% of the city is poor and ghetto. The rest of the city is expensive to live in, as most non-poor people live on the outskirts of town in brand new expensive homes, or in the middle where the older large homes are (still expensive but not very safe).

I believe there used to be some sort of military base there, and once that closed years ago, so many people moved and the city went downhill fast. The town was segregated like no other I've ever seen. Blacks and whites didn't even appear to eat at the same restaurants. It was very disturbing.

Memphis is over an hour away. That's where you'd have to go to do any shopping (clothes, etc). Jonesboro is a bit less than an hour away. Those are the only bigger nearby towns.

If you husband has to work there...I don't know. I wouldn't go, if it were me! But if you had to, and you didn't mind country living, I'd suggest finding a town maybe halfway between Memphis and Blytheville. I guess it depends on where you are coming from, if you like large cities, etc. Me - I'm a big city girl, and Memphis is too small for me! I couldn't function in anything much smaller. So consider your needs; if you see yourself having to drive into Memphis a lot for things. (good restaurants, malls, buying a car, doctors, etc)

Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,004 times
Blytheville is a small community, but it does have a couple LARGE steel mills, Nucor & Nucor Yamato, which are the source of many of the local jobs. Blytheville is the largest city in the area, Short of going to Memphis (60 miles) you are out of luck for shopping except at WalMart. I definitely would NOT purchase a house there. You'll never sell it if you need to. Like all southern towns and cities, the public school system is atrocious to say the least. The "Blacks" have absolutely destroyed the public school system. Private school is necessary.
Personally, the job would have to pay VERY well in order to get me to take it. Even then, I wouldn't live in Blytheville.

JMHO
Larry

Old 10-24-2019, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 53 times
I wouldn't recommend it! I use to live there years ago and it was fading then. True, it is a very small town, but the effects of the town has dwindled into almost ghostly. The downtown area, (OMG) most of the stores are boarded up and pretty much an eyesore. What once was a prominent little city is now a rat hole! Sorry to say.
As far as safety, well, it's not the worst, but for a small area it has its share of violent activity. Take a 2 week visit and explore it, then you'll get a feel if you think it's worth living there.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 8,812,396 times
This thread began in 2007. Perhaps recent posters could update it.

Sorry to learn that many think Blytheville is in decline - my mother taught high school there as a young woman, many long years ago.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:29 AM

73,653 posts, read 86,076,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This thread began in 2007. Perhaps recent posters could update it.

Sorry to learn that many think Blytheville is in decline - my mother taught high school there as a young woman, many long years ago.
It is a shame, but this happens all over the country: popular, happy places go down hill and downer locations move up. I have a good friend or did, she is gone now, who's family was raised in Pine Bluff. They relocated to CA after WW2. Now, look at Pine Bluff, but there is a movement to re-vamp the city.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:23 PM

10,757 posts, read 8,812,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is a shame, but this happens all over the country: popular, happy places go down hill and downer locations move up. I have a good friend or did, she is gone now, who's family was raised in Pine Bluff. They relocated to CA after WW2. Now, look at Pine Bluff, but there is a movement to re-vamp the city.

Yes, I just learned this encouraging news re. Pine Bluff on a recent visit to Arkansas, from a cousin who grew up there. Surely hope things will turn around.

Slightly off-topic: Arkansas is absolutely gorgeous in the fall. I don't recall ever visiting there in October previously, but the weather was warm to pleasantly cool, and the recent drought has broken, with fall color just beginning when I was there. The air was fresh and scented by the many tall, beautiful pines. Little Rock now looks like a big city, but retains its easy drivability downtown. The state parks and national forests are well-worth a visit - friendly folks, beautiful mountain scenery. Good food, too!

Wish I could get there more often. So many family memories...my Arkansas roots are strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas