Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:23 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

I have to tell you what I saw last weekend.

I was in Paris, Arkansas on Saturday afternoon (nice little town!) and from the number of guys and gals going around town with formal wear on, you could tell they were having their high school prom that night. (We asked at a restaurant, and sure enough, they were.)

Some of them were taking carriage rides in their finery before the dance, and we saw a sweet teenaged couple all dressed up, guy with his arm around the girl.....who held a baby in her lap. (The baby was all "dolled" up, too!)

Well, anyway, Arkansas can't be blamed for that, I know, I just thought it was funny. (No offense to anyone.) We have two girls here in my own town in Louisiana that have had babies this year (at 16)....one of them a member of our church! They and their parents all have a tough row to hoe.

But we all just got a kick out of seeing that baby going to the prom...."You know you're in Arkansas when...." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Hey Luv

Don't believe all the sterotypes.. I bet you wouldn't have posted that in the Nevada forum, what about the forums for Texas, California or Florida, and certainly not in Arizona's forum yet the statictics show all these and more states are head of Arkansas in thier Teen Birth rate.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

Old 04-24-2009, 03:48 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Teen births happen everywhere. We should be happy the girl's still in school.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:33 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Oh yeah that has become a common sight everywhere nowadays. I can remember when it was a "big shame". But no more. I just have to ask the question "Why?"

Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Oh yeah that has become a common sight everywhere nowadays. I can remember when it was a "big shame". But no more. I just have to ask the question "Why?"
Shame has been replaced by narcissism.

Just as when bad actors used to resign in shame, now they get bonuses or promotions.

New World Order of MEMEME.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,615 times
GEEZE.. WHAT negative rep???? What'd I miss??? Statistics??

Anyhow...I can envision the baby, all dolled up and proudly displayed and smile because I remember a time when "shame" was heaped upon the girl, whilest the guy went on his merry way. But the thought that sex-ed was either left out of their curriculum or they failed the class, makes me sad. Being young is difficult enough without adding parenthood to the mix.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey Luv

Don't believe all the sterotypes.. I bet you wouldn't have posted that in the Nevada forum, what about the forums for Texas, California or Florida, and certainly not in Arizona's forum yet the statictics show all these and more states are head of Arkansas in thier Teen Birth rate.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf
I think the OP was referring more to the monumental lack of class that taking a baby to a prom exhibits than actually having a baby at a young age.

Of course, maybe they do that in Texas and Arizona too, who knows? There are cretins everywhere these days, it seems.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2009, 12:24 AM

807 posts, read 2,515,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Teen births happen everywhere. We should be happy the girl's still in school.
Amen! You can see that sort of thing anywhere unfortunately!!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Sounded like there was love on that little ride. Sometimes coutry people marry before finishing high school. I thought it sounded sweet.

Personally I just rejoice that the baby was not aborted.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,448 times
What a dumb post. You can find teenage pregnancies anywhere and I certainly don't think teen pregnancies are a Southern stereotype? So you see a teenager with a baby and all of a sudden "you know you're in Arkansas"? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And don't even get me started on abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas