Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 PM

763 posts, read 2,660,338 times

Advertisements

We live in Louisiana and bought a second home in Arkansas last year. We had absolutely no problems at all. I prequalified at my local bank. I could have got my loan from there but after talking with the loan officer in Heber Springs, I got a better interest rate there with them. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 23,672 times
Ok, so based on what everyone has told me, I should have no problem getting a loan and moving to a new state. So what I really would like to do is move to Arkansas, some where in the Ozarks, and rent maybe just for a few months and make sure I like the area, and like the people. Then I can look for houses as soon as I get there so I dont have to keep going back and forth. I just want to be sure that once I move I can still get a loan. I am very nervous being a first time home buyer, this is all new to me. We are planning on taking a road trip down there this summer. Hopefully that will help me decide exactly what area I want to live in. Thank you again everyone for all your help!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I agree with Bull winkus,

I would make 3 trips or certainly 2. One to scout AR out and see where would be the best for yuo to settle, 2-actually looking at homes and making an offer and 3-back for closing, this can be done via faxing etc, but is better done in person..

Good luck

Nita

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

99 posts, read 350,337 times
Renting here while you are looking for a home is a great way to take the pressure off. Try to find a rental without a long-term lease so that you will not be tied down when you do find a home to purchase.

Most people cannot agree on a home to purchase after only one house-hunting trip. (Even if you have done extensive online searches.) The last thing you want is buyer's remorse for choosing one house/area too quickly.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,411 times
By all means, rent first. You're young but you don't want to get stuck with a mortgage on a house you really hate just because you've never done this before. Your first goal should be to find a job..or two. You'll love it in Arkansas. THEN, you can ask around about agents and find out who in that area is on their toes and will work FOR you. You CANNOT go wrong with a good agent!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Old 07-06-2013, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
Default Renting in AR

Just a reminder - - if you rent a place in AR - unless it is written into the lease, the landlord is NOT responsible for any repairs. Such as new water heater, stove, fridge, furnace, etc. :shocked
I came here and bought a house, after living in Florida for almost 30 years. mod cut
Heber Springs is a very nice little town, very friendly and the schools are good. Almost as many churches as businesses - we have a "Wally World", McDonalds, Sonic, Taco Bell, Burger King.
Some drug related problems, but now like in a big city. It's a "DRY" county, so unless you know a bootlegger, its about a 60 mile round trip to buy any kind of alcoholic beverage. Of course we have an American Legion and a VFW to go to, unless you join the country club or golf club.
I have nothing against the area, in fact it is beautiful, but just not a good fit for me, so I'll be moving on once I can sell my house.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 07-07-2013 at 04:45 AM.. Reason: could be construed as advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas