Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times

Advertisements

-------You can find teenage pregnancies anywhere--

I didn't read that the OP denied that.

I read that the part he found unusual was the baby all decked out going to the prom.

Surprised that whoever babysits the baby when the mother attends school wasn;t available that night.

maybe the baby's grandmother was getting all dressed up to go to the prom also.

I guess I presumed prom night was meant for the students to go out dressed in their finest. ( not the students,their kids,their parents,their grandparents)

Perhaps in Paris AR it is more of a family reunion event rather than a typical prom that is observed elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I have to tell you what I saw last weekend.

I was in Paris, Arkansas on Saturday afternoon (nice little town!) and from the number of guys and gals going around town with formal wear on, you could tell they were having their high school prom that night. (We asked at a restaurant, and sure enough, they were.)

Some of them were taking carriage rides in their finery before the dance, and we saw a sweet teenaged couple all dressed up, guy with his arm around the girl.....who held a baby in her lap. (The baby was all "dolled" up, too!)

Well, anyway, Arkansas can't be blamed for that, I know, I just thought it was funny. (No offense to anyone.) We have two girls here in my own town in Louisiana that have had babies this year (at 16)....one of them a member of our church! They and their parents all have a tough row to hoe.

But we all just got a kick out of seeing that baby going to the prom...."You know you're in Arkansas when...." LOL
I generally find most people in Arkansas mind their own business.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 AM

Perhaps in Paris AR, the baby can wear a cap and gown on the night the young lady graduates.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
What a dumb post. You can find teenage pregnancies anywhere and I certainly don't think teen pregnancies are a Southern stereotype? So you see a teenager with a baby and all of a sudden "you know you're in Arkansas"? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And don't even get me started on abortion.
I would hazard a guess that the terribly cosmopolitan Washington DC has a much higher rate of unwed mothers per capita than anywhere in Arkansas. Just guessing mind you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
"You know you're in Arkansas when...." LOL
....when the baby's got a wad of 'chaw' in it's cheek.

Good'n Luv.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM

do the babies in Washinton DC get " all dolled up " on prom night and ride around with their teenage mom and her date ?

That certainly make national news shows

Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 AM

106 posts, read 470,729 times
Call this a Pet Peeve, but I truly hate it when someone states, "I should not, hate to , don't tell anyone I said this, etc". Then goes forth happily going off gossiping away.

In this case, person states they "hate to contribute" and then posts on a internet forum in detail. Come on ... you don't "hate" to contribute ... someone is bending your arm to post?

Maybe it is bad taste to take a baby to a prom. I do not know the full facts, but I count this as just as bad of taste to chatter after watching from afar. Heck, for all you know, that could have been a younger brother and sister, so you certainly didn't have all the facts.

Quite frankly, if you were that concerned about this, why not just walk up and ask the couple about the issue. And then tell 'them' your feelings. directly. If you could not do that, I'm of the school ... "if you don't have something good to say ... why say it at all ... and for heavens sake why post it on a internet forum".

Old 04-25-2009, 10:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
LOL....what a wide swing of the pendulum with the responses!

For the record, I'm also glad the baby wasn't aborted, as I am that the little baby born to the 16-year-old in our church wasn't....she's a precious little doll. It just struck us as funny, what with the stereotype of Arkansas being that people are all marrying and having babies at a young age (and supposedly with their first cousins, or even siblings!). That's what I meant by contributing to the negative reputation of Arkansas. I actually love Arkansas and would live there if I could (in the mountains, that is). And Paris really is a nice little town, I wasn't being sarcastic or facetious. Nice downtown square, pretty hills, mountains, and farms all around, some neat older homes, right down the road from that Subiaco Academy (which was very pretty), Mt. Magazine, Mt. Nebo, and Petit Jean....it's a nice area of Arkansas.

I do personally think it was in bad taste to include the baby in the prom festivities. But anyway, some of you got the simple laugh out of it that was intended in the telling of the story.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 AM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
I agree that thinking just because you see teenage preganacies.. it means you're in Arkansas. I also think it was in bad taste to parade the baby around like that in that environment and taste. However, I don't see why teenage girls would have the baby in the first place..unless they wanted it. I'm not getting on that issue here though.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:59 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-------You can find teenage pregnancies anywhere--

I didn't read that the OP denied that.

I read that the part he found unusual was the baby all decked out going to the prom.

Surprised that whoever babysits the baby when the mother attends school wasn;t available that night.

maybe the baby's grandmother was getting all dressed up to go to the prom also.

I guess I presumed prom night was meant for the students to go out dressed in their finest. ( not the students,their kids,their parents,their grandparents)

Perhaps in Paris AR it is more of a family reunion event rather than a typical prom that is observed elsewhere.
You quote a person's previous message by simply hitting "Quote" in the bottom right corner of every post........

Anyway, I'm thinking this post was posted simply to stir things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas