Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,617,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
I never said the town was racist. I said having advertisments for the KKK in the town is not a good fact for the town. I have never been in a town like that. Certainly from an outsiders perspective you can see why the town has such a poor image?
I traveled thru Harrison last summer, I didin't see any KKK signs, are they really there or are you hearing about some clean the freeway sign from a decade ago? Again I don't live there, just passed thru, and thought it was a nice town. Had a tractor Supply, a feedstore, and a walmart. That's all I need in a town, The locals were as nice to us as anyone I have ever met.
Town seemed friendly and clean to me.....

Old 01-18-2009, 06:57 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,181,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I traveled thru Harrison last summer, I didin't see any KKK signs, are they really there or are you hearing about some clean the freeway sign from a decade ago? Again I don't live there, just passed thru, and thought it was a nice town. Had a tractor Supply, a feedstore, and a walmart. That's all I need in a town, The locals were as nice to us as anyone I have ever met.
Town seemed friendly and clean to me.....
Naw, Cali.......haven't you read the posts?

It's devil spawn.

A TSC and a feedstore?

I'll bet it's Illumanati!!

New World Order...............!!

Carhart is a front for the Bilderbergers!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM

47 posts, read 145,234 times
Well the information is not too hard to find. The National Director of the KKK (I have no idea what that means...maybe he wears a pink hood) Thomas Rob is based in Harrison, Arkansas....

They had there convention in Harrison, Arkansas I believe either last year or the year before. He has a website based out of Harrison, Arkansas. I am not going to post the website, but it is not hard to find if you want to take the time.

Don't believe me ask him, this is pretty well known stuff guys. That is not to say that Thomas Rob is representative of the whole town, but not every town gets the distinction of having the KKK national convention. They must just have a great convention center there.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,251 posts, read 8,617,216 times
Quote:
Well the information is not too hard to find. The National Director of the KKK (I have no idea what that means...maybe he wears a pink hood) Thomas Rob is based in Harrison, Arkansas....

They had there convention in Harrison, Arkansas I believe either last year or the year before. He has a website based out of Harrison, Arkansas. I am not going to post the website, but it is not hard to find if you want to take the time.

Don't believe me ask him, this is pretty well known stuff guys. That is not to say that Thomas Rob is representative of the whole town, but not every town gets the distinction of having the KKK national convention. They must just have a great convention center there.
OK so I followed a link earlier in this thread, it appears that maybe this Rob feller has more internet savvy that building savvy,,,,this is from some guys who actually went to go see the KKK
...As we made our way into Zinc, which is a tiny, almost-abandoned town that lies down a few winding dirt roads, everyone got to experience a bit of culture shock, since I was the only who had been there before. I grew up in a small town, but Zinc was like another world compared to it, like the land that time forgot. It was pretty much the embodiment of every bad Arkansas stereotype you've ever heard. There were dilapidated trailers and houses everywhere, some abandoned or half-burnt, as well as old vehicles all over the place. There were farm animals running loose, junk and trash littering all the yards, and no lawns to be seen. It was kind of sad, really.

I turned around at the edge of town and went back down a different road. We reached a sign that said Soliders of the Cross, and I announced to everyone that this was the property of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan. Underdog sarcastically suggested we drive on in, but I had already made up my mind that we were going to and cheerfully started driving in just to freak everyone out. I was a little worried, since it was a Sunday, that there might be people there, but thankfully there were no cars in sight as we pulled up the drive.

Supposedly, this was the biggest remaining KKK group in the United States, but you sure as hell wouldn't know it from the outside of the place. There were just a few small buildings sitting on an acre or so of land, but only one of them looking recently built. If you didn't know it was the KKK, you'd drive right by it and just think it was a country church. All it took was one look at this place to realize that the KKK didn't exactly have the membership it once did.

And just in case anyone gets the wrong idea... I'm no fan of the KKK by any stretch of the imagination. However, I am curious by nature, and it was interesting to show my friends the place, since most people will only hear rumors about it. So, don't take the fact that we took a joyride through there as some sort of approval of them, because it's not.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:09 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,533 times
For gdaddy, there is no Harrison County in AR. You are misreporting something factual you have heard. At one time in the late 80's IIRC, the group out of Zinc volunteered to clean a stretch of Highway 65 and had the sign that accompanies that commitment. I'm sure this WAS an attempt at advertisement at the time. However, there was sufficient resistance, local, regional, and national, that the stretch of road was removed from their care and given to another group. Outside of this one event, I have NEVER seen any advertisement for the KKK in the town of Harrison or in Boone County.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM

I meant to say harrison. Not Harrison County. I am not misrepresenting what I heard that is what I heard. Thanks for clarifying that they no longer advertise on the sign on the interstate, but they still do advertise on the internet.

Look, the person who started this thread was really concerned about moving to Harrison. I think the people that know the place and have lived there all there lives know the reputation, and that there is a basis for the reputation. I am not putting the place down, but I really think that a person moving there should have a good idea as to what they will be getting.

I am sure stromcrow is a good person and probably would stick up for black friends that came to visit him, but the fact that he would have to stick up for them says everything. I know places in Georgia where you really can't go to if you are white. Certainly, if someone ask me about those places I would certainly tell them.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,731,533 times
Quote:
I meant to say harrison. Not Harrison County. I am not misrepresenting what I heard that is what I heard. Thanks for clarifying that they no longer advertise on the sign on the interstate, but they still do advertise on the internet.

Look, the person who started this thread was really concerned about moving to Harrison. I think the people that know the place and have lived there all there lives know the reputation, and that there is a basis for the reputation. I am not putting the place down, but I really think that a person moving there should have a good idea as to what they will be getting.

I am sure stromcrow is a good person and probably would stick up for black friends that came to visit him, but the fact that he would have to stick up for them says everything. I know places in Georgia where you really can't go to if you are white. Certainly, if someone ask me about those places I would certainly tell them.
You stated that they advertise. The fact of the matter is that they did (past tense) attempt to advertise by round about means in the past and failed in their efforts. Your statements made it sound like there were billboards in town. I don't think you misrepresented purposefully. I suspect you heard about the sign and the source from which you heard could only remember reading about it and didn't know or didn't remember the full story. Of course, I only speculate in this regard. It was quite a while ago so it can be somewhat forgiven that a person's memory might slip. However, the end result of your statements in my mind do indeed constitute a misrepresentation of the actual story since you did not clarify that the advertisements were a single event and occured in the past.

Now, as to the reception of an African American in Harrison, I stand by past responses that they would be welcomed to the community by more than they might expect, viewed as a curiosity by most, and ostracized by a very few. Yes there would be some people who would not want them there, but I truly do believe it's a smaller number than many who are on the outside looking in would expect. While I've not lived my entire life in Boone County, I DID grow up there so I feel I know it pretty well, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:09 AM

"Now, as to the reception of an African American in Harrison, I stand by past responses that they would be welcomed to the community by more than they might expect, viewed as a curiosity by most, and ostracized by a very few. Yes there would be some people who would not want them there, but I truly do believe it's a smaller number than many who are on the outside looking in would expect. While I've not lived my entire life in Boone County, I DID grow up there so I feel I know it pretty well, the good, the bad and the ugly.[/quote]"

I disagree about misrepresentation, but I won't keep that argument going it is not important. I think strormcrow's last paragraph is important. This last past paragraph would give some people pause as to whether they would like to move to the city, on the other hand a lot of people may like that. The most important thing is that they would know what they are getting in to.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,688,824 times
Quote:
Has that ever happen to you before??
In a way....can't take the time to write about it right now, though, lunchtime.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,761 times
Harrison and the surrounding areas are nice. I lived here some 18 years ago, and just recently moved back I liked it so well. Its all in your attitude as to how you will be received. I love the area and I love the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas