U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:34 PM

511 posts, read 693,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Everywhere I've lived or visited, people always smile, and chat. Sure, there's going to be somebody who's having a bad day who you're going to run into, but people respond to the treatment they're getting. If EVERY experience is a negative one, if the people you work with don't like you, if no one smiles at you or greets you, I've got to say it's time to look in the mirror. Because there has to be something in your expression, something about the way you're not meeting their eyes, something about how you respond to people, that is shutting them down. When you're at the grocery store and the clerk hands you your bag, do you look them in the eye and say thank you? When you're in the drive-thru getting a coffee in the morning, do you look at the person taking your money and remark on how you hope the weather clears up today? If you want people to connect with you, you've got to make the connection possible.
Well I want people to be friendly to me for a change. I greet people with a smile, and they can barely mumble good morning back to me here! If I am the problem then I should have been treated the same way in Texas. Nope, I made friends there, talked to my neighbors, and had plenty of great dates with sweet natured women. The women here are so stuck up and rude or way too hickish lol.

THere is no excuse for giving poor customer service. Period. If you can't be nice to your customers, you need to be fired. I personally wrote a letter of complaint to Simmons Eye Care in Benton for the rude treatment I received from the women there. It was the first eye care place where I didn't feel like my business was wanted or appreciated at all. The fact that is it just so consistent here really bothers me and I don't think I am the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 07:38 PM

609 posts, read 1,933,711 times
seem a little strange that every place txdave35 goes people are rude and treat him poorly. Take a hard look in the mirror, maybe you could try an attitude change.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 PM

73,684 posts, read 86,117,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Well I want people to be friendly to me for a change. I greet people with a smile, and they can barely mumble good morning back to me here! If I am the problem then I should have been treated the same way in Texas. Nope, I made friends there, talked to my neighbors, and had plenty of great dates with sweet natured women. The women here are so stuck up and rude or way too hickish lol.

THere is no excuse for giving poor customer service. Period. If you can't be nice to your customers, you need to be fired. I personally wrote a letter of complaint to Simmons Eye Care in Benton for the rude treatment I received from the women there. It was the first eye care place where I didn't feel like my business was wanted or appreciated at all. The fact that is it just so consistent here really bothers me and I don't think I am the problem.
sorry Dave, you are living a world that is not quite a real world. I have visited the Tyler area often, it is wonderful, I enjoy lots of things about it, but it is very similar to most of AR, to say the gals here are stuck up is nuts. I do not believe, from your many comments you go out of your way to be friendly, nor do I believe you meet people with a smile and they are rude to you. FOr what ever reason, you want to remember the East Texas in your own way and I hope you will have a chance to move back, but I still maintain, you are making no effort to adjust to life in AR.

Nita

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,871,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
to say the gals here are stuck up is nuts.

Nita
You don't know Little Rock gold-diggers, I mean, girls... biggest bunch of snobs. Little Rock can be uber-uppity.
It's Arkansas. My goodness, they should be happy when they meet a guy with a full set of teeth.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 PM

99 posts, read 316,229 times
It is interesting that after five days, OP fires up the argument again.
We understand that you do not, nor probably will ever like AR. That is okay. While many members here cannot agree with your opinions, it is great that we can all express our opinions here. However being from the south, I am sure we have all heard the expression "beating a dead horse".
We understand your viewpoint clearly.
Now moving on... IMO.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 AM

73,684 posts, read 86,117,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
You don't know Little Rock gold-diggers, I mean, girls... biggest bunch of snobs. Little Rock can be uber-uppity.
It's Arkansas. My goodness, they should be happy when they meet a guy with a full set of teeth.
from the comments you make from time to time I am beginning to think you and Dave are brothers..

The last comment might actually be a little funny if you weren't so mean about it.

Nita

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,007,950 times
Quote:
from the comments you make from time to time I am beginning to think you and Dave are brothers.
No kidding. You know, I don't really understand why some people become so obsessed with whatever axe it is they have to grind. Let it go! Move on with your life.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,550,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSpringsLiving View Post
It is interesting that after five days, OP fires up the argument again.
Be glad he's not charging us to cross his bridge.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,871,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
from the comments you make from time to time I am beginning to think you and Dave are brothers..

The last comment might actually be a little funny if you weren't so mean about it.

Nita
The last comment was strictly meant as a joke. Most people I knew during the 20+ years I lived in Arkansas would have found it funny.
Us natives get it.
You have to be a little self-deprecating at times when you live in a place that is the butt of so many jokes and stereotypes. A lot of people who live there don't want to change anything, and they know they'll have to put up with that stuff.
I didn't fit in, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want Arkansas to change too much... except that Little Rock could be a bit less uptight and a lot more friendly.
The way Arkansas is... that's what makes it so interesting to talk about. Changing it would water it down, and make it generic.

Of course I have issues with Little Rock, but they are all based on facts and personal experiences. Opinions, yes, but no exaggerations, I promise.
Little Rock's not the worst place, but there's too many issues to fit under a rug.
I won't hesitate to have my say. People are often on this website to get a full picture of a place. They need to know every angle, so they will truly know what to expect.
That isn't unreasonable, I think.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 AM

40,653 posts, read 25,074,353 times
I appreciate that the OP is struggling to fit in. It's hard to find the balance sometimes. I'm sure that Arkansas and Texas are similar in many ways, and yet different in subtler ways, and navigating those subtleties can be challenging. That said, pasting a smile on your face is just moving the facial muscles. People are very sensitive to the difference between real smiles and pasted-on smiles. People are very sensitive to genuine interest and going through the motions. I think the OP made up his mind months ago that he was unhappy, and that mind-set is being conveyed to the people around him, despite his best intentions. People are not going to connect with someone who's passing judgment against them. They are going to act standoffish when they feel like they are being measured, and they will even be hostile if they feel like they are being measured and judged as lacking. The OP certainly doesn't have the intention to send those messages, but when you consider the uniformity of negative responses he says he's been getting, people are responding to HIM. Something he's projecting. And it may be that he's gotten himself into a vicious cycle; he puts out a vibe that he feels like an outsider, people treat him like an outsider, he feels even more excluded so there is an edge of frustration to how he relates to people, people sense the frustration and withdraw even more, he tries to overcome that distance, people feel like he's trying too hard and try to keep him at a distance, he decides all these people are stuck-up and people feel that they've been judged and not nicely, they become somewhat hostile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or