Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:34 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
Most defiantly. I always saw AR as being "northeast TX", just as northern New Jersey is really just New York City suburbs.
You need to visit the Delta and eat some pork barbeque. Texas it ain't! (Thank God!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 07:25 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Please go back to Texas and stop with your pointless threads. No advice people might give you is going to help you because you don't want help. Your mind was made up before you even gave it a chance. You just want to complain.
Poor txdave! He had the same rhetoric on another thread 'til it was finally locked. Long story, short message; Grandpa and grandson were sitting on the porch (we still have porches in Arkansas) when a man drove up and asked grandpa how the people were in the neighborhood. Grandpa asked how were they where he came from and the man said they were unfriendly, rude, etc. Grandpa said they were the same way here and suggested the man go on down the road. Another man drove up and the same conversation ensued except this man said the people where he came from were friendly, helpful, etc. Grandpa said that's the way they are here, and said "Come on in and I'll take you to meet some of my wonderful neighbors." Grandson was puzzled and later asked why one man was sent on down the road and the other welcomed in. Granddpa said; "Son, people see in others what they see in themselves. A good man will only see good people, but a man with problems will only see people with problems."

Old 07-22-2009, 09:03 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Poor txdave! He had the same rhetoric on another thread 'til it was finally locked. Long story, short message; Grandpa and grandson were sitting on the porch (we still have porches in Arkansas) when a man drove up and asked grandpa how the people were in the neighborhood. Grandpa asked how were they where he came from and the man said they were unfriendly, rude, etc. Grandpa said they were the same way here and suggested the man go on down the road. Another man drove up and the same conversation ensued except this man said the people where he came from were friendly, helpful, etc. Grandpa said that's the way they are here, and said "Come on in and I'll take you to meet some of my wonderful neighbors." Grandson was puzzled and later asked why one man was sent on down the road and the other welcomed in. Granddpa said; "Son, people see in others what they see in themselves. A good man will only see good people, but a man with problems will only see people with problems."
It would be nice if it really worked that way.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
It would be nice if it really worked that way.
We are probably getting off the topic now, but I happen to believe it does most of the time. You get out of life and out of experiences what you put into it and them.

Nita

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM

731 posts, read 1,367,341 times
I believe Texas Dave has a valid argument. I imagine at some point many of you had someone be rude to you in the last month. With Texas Dave, everyone is rude to him.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I believe Texas Dave has a valid argument. I imagine at some point many of you had someone be rude to you in the last month. With Texas Dave, everyone is rude to him.
Speaking of rude people. My first impression of Fort Smith was not a good one. The old lady at the hotel was just down right mean when I was trying to check in. I won't go into to much detail but she had canceled my reservation...still don't know why, and the basically said too bad go somewhere else. She started out in a bad mood before I even said anything to her. Long story short a few calls to the right people and her otherwise gloomy disposition changed abruptly and I had a free room.

If you get a customer service person with a bad disposition...complain. 9 out of 10 times the business will care about their customers and work to fix the problem, which will usually get you some type of discount.

Don't think I am one of those people who goes around complaining. That was the only customer service person that I have complained about since being in Fort Smith. Maybe that particular person was poorly matched for her job. Not everyone should be in customer service.

On the other side of the coin, customer service people have to put up with a lot of crap from people. Be nice and respectful and 99% of the time they will be the same...if that does not work then complain.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Would like feedback on sweet small town living. Have heard Cookeville, Tenn. is very pleasant and inexpensive. I love cute historic bungalos built in '20's or '30's. Safety and crime are also issues. Nice library would be good. And Cookeville is very near large cities, which I need as I have stage four cancer. Having said that maybe I don't need to go to large and good hospitals afterall. Stage four is pretty much a goner stage, I believe, and I would like feedback on that also. I have good attitude and am pragmatic. I loved but was very upset with the Farah Fawcett cancer film. What say anyone?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk baby View Post
Would like feedback on sweet small town living. Have heard Cookeville, Tenn. is very pleasant and inexpensive. I love cute historic bungalos built in '20's or '30's. Safety and crime are also issues. Nice library would be good. And Cookeville is very near large cities, which I need as I have stage four cancer. Having said that maybe I don't need to go to large and good hospitals afterall. Stage four is pretty much a goner stage, I believe, and I would like feedback on that also. I have good attitude and am pragmatic. I loved but was very upset with the Farah Fawcett cancer film. What say anyone?
I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, cakewalk. I've also heard that Cookeville is very pleasant. I hesitated to answer initially, because inexpensive is a relative thing. And I think a lot of other factors merit consideration as well. Are you concerned with walkability, public transportation and so on? While a large hospital might not be a consideration, I'm sure there are other concerns about medical care you do have. Are you going to be needing any level of home care? Would you consider a retirement area, or are you younger or wanting a younger environment? Do you have other interests besides a library that we should consider?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
For instance, here's a house in Siloam Springs, AR. This house is close to the downtown, so close to the library, and it's in the area where quaint, older homes can be found. The house is inexpensive. Siloam Springs has a hospital, is not far from newer, more modern facilities, and is an easy drive to Tulsa as well. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

415 N Broadway St, Siloam Springs, AR 72761 - Zillow

(And moderators, I am not a realtor, so I'm not advertising.)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
yep, we all have run into people who are rude, but we run into people who are really nice and helpful as well. Most of us dwell on the positive ones not the few who are rude...

We just got back from Sams and eating in Bentonville; nearly everyone we saw was friendly and helpful, the guy at the re-cyling place was a monster, so 10 to 1 we were happy.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas