Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:06 PM

511 posts, read 799,550 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, after 6 months of Arkansas, I have to say that my initial opinions have only been reinforced. The vast majority of people I encounter particularly in the Bryant area are cold, blunt, and rude. People who work in customer service jobs can't even say Thank You to me. I go to work, and on rare occassion, someone might say Good Morning. I have never had a job where there was such a high degree of unfriendliness.

Other minor things grate me like awful produce. What is up with Arkansas in bad fruit? I bought bananas yesterday that looked fully ripe, and two hours later, they were rotten! Unbelievable.

My dad makes these handsome woodcrafted clocks in the shape of Texas. I've joked that I'm going to hang one in my office just to **** people off. Texas pride, baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:20 PM

246 posts, read 629,335 times
Then why not go back to Texas?
Seriously, I don't mean that to be rude. But if you're that unhappy,
why stay?
Many long term locals on different boards discourage people from
moving to their area for various reasons. Because they've heard
it all and seen it all from out of staters wishing to move to their
area before...then they move anyway then start complaining about
how unhappy they are. Many want to move to AR because of the
cheaper prices and taxes, same with MO. But you can't bring it with
you (your former state). There is good and bad everywhere.

Was just reading a NM board where people are discouraging someone
who wishes to retire to a particular isolated area. And he's taking
great offense at their discouragement. But the area which he wants
to move to is not an area for retirees - very poor medical care and
facilities. So if he moves anyway is that anyone's fault but his own?

Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,065 times
Please go back to Texas and stop with your pointless threads. No advice people might give you is going to help you because you don't want help. Your mind was made up before you even gave it a chance. You just want to complain.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I don't know much about Texas. I feel that people in the deep south are a lot more friendly than most parts of Arkansas. It is just a cultural thing; however, most of this perceived unfriendliness goes away when you get to know people here.

Just a thought, but after six months on your job the people there probably have gotten to know you and they are probably unfriendly because they may just not like you. Obviously, I don't know all the details, but you should go, if possible, to someplace that makes you happy.

I agree with you on the fruit. I am not sure why it sucks so bad here. I have heard all types of reasons, but there is a large difference in the quality of fruit I get here than in Atlanta.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
Well, it is certainly true that many Arkansians (sp?) I met don't like Texas, and you being so proud of your home state may colour your judgement somewhat! I say this because like you, I am also a newbie to Arkansas, having moved here 7 months ago (mid October) with my husband, who is originally from NW Arkansas (we have lived in Dublin, Ireland for the last few years). I must say so far, I like it a lot, despite some culture shock issues. I found people plain speaking (especially about politics, and illegal immigration- I always make sure that people know I have a visa and two US citizen children!), but never rude- quite the opposite, people are very civil and always willing to help out someone new to the area, especially our neighbours here, but shop assistants too.

I don;t work outside the home, so I can't comment on behaviour at work, but neighbours always greet eachother, as do people on the walking trail where I walk the dog dail. If I bring the twins, it takes twice the time because the old ladies with their little dogs want to talk to me and the kids (well, not really the kids- they are 14 months old so not much talking yet...). I could do with a better selection of vegetarian foods in mainstream supermarkets, but other than that, I am pretty happy here!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Unfortunately, after 6 months of Arkansas, I have to say that my initial opinions have only been reinforced. The vast majority of people I encounter particularly in the Bryant area are cold, blunt, and rude. People who work in customer service jobs can't even say Thank You to me. I go to work, and on rare occassion, someone might say Good Morning. I have never had a job where there was such a high degree of unfriendliness.

Other minor things grate me like awful produce. What is up with Arkansas in bad fruit? I bought bananas yesterday that looked fully ripe, and two hours later, they were rotten! Unbelievable.

My dad makes these handsome woodcrafted clocks in the shape of Texas. I've joked that I'm going to hang one in my office just to **** people off. Texas pride, baby.
[i] am so glad you haven't changed your mind about AR. I would hate to see you have to admit you were wrong...

As for the fruit, I have trouble believing 2 hours after you purchased them they were spoiled, maybe someone had painted them yellow to make you think they were just ripe....

I bet placing that Texas clock in your little cubicle would make a huge hit. attitude is the secret to life, you either have a good one and enjoy your life or you have a bad one and are miserable...

Nita

Old 05-05-2009, 11:38 AM

271 posts, read 251,635 times
So let me get this right, Arkansas is bad because your bananas were over ripe? I shutter to think of what you would do if you had a real crisis to deal with.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
So let me get this right, Arkansas is bad because your bananas were over ripe? I shutter to think of what you would do if you had a real crisis to deal with.
This poor guy has been at it since the week after he moved here. I guess he thinks if he vents long enough he will 1-feel better or 2-convince someone how bad life is in the natural state.

Nita

Old 05-05-2009, 12:50 PM

293 posts, read 909,689 times
This settles it for me. I live in Texas and was considering moving to Arkansas, but I've changed my mind after reading this. Because I do love good bananas.

Or maybe I'll just buy a greenhouse and plant my own banana trees.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garxhap View Post
This settles it for me. I live in Texas and was considering moving to Arkansas, but I've changed my mind after reading this. Because I do love good bananas.

Or maybe I'll just buy a greenhouse and plant my own banana trees.
you may want to think of planting an avacado tree as well..If you have a big enough green house..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas