Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 9,746 times

Advertisements

My fiance just got a job in forestry near Monticello...we would like a place about half way between there and a larger city so that I can possibly get a job in my field of Graphic Design. How is Pine Bluff? or Monroe, LA? Any good locations between them and Monticello we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM

28 posts, read 133,229 times
Default a little information

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyzirbel View Post
My fiance just got a job in forestry near Monticello...we would like a place about half way between there and a larger city so that I can possibly get a job in my field of Graphic Design. How is Pine Bluff? or Monroe, LA? Any good locations between them and Monticello we should look at?

I'm sorry to see no one from Arkansas has answered yet. I grew up in south central Arkansas and have been back to the area many times over the years. Monticello is a nice small town with a branch of the University of Arkansas. Pine Bluff is the "big city" in the area. You're more likely to find a job in GA in Pine Bluff than any of the smaller towns in the area, but the cost of living will be a lot higher. Recently I priced a house in Monticello (as comps for my parents house in Fordyce). It was 3000 sq feet on a double city lot for $80,000. That same house would be $300,000 in a larger city. The only caveat I have about PB is the crime. From what I hear from my parents' friends, there has been a big jump in crime in PB the past ten years or so. For the difference in the cost of living (and less crime), you might want to stay in Monticello and consider a job at the University. Just a thought.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM

297 posts, read 1,300,030 times
Default Monticello

Monticello is a nice small town to live in. Why not check and see if you could open you own graphic artist's business or see if there is anyone that already does this. They may need a partner. You may could use your talents at one of the high schools in the area. Warren is only about 15 minutes from Monticello and I don't know how far Crosset is from there. Good luck!

Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 AM
jcj

22 posts, read 88,213 times
the best place to live far as half and half would be either star city or crossett. If you plan on doing lots of traveling to Little rock, star city would be the best place. Its a quiet peaceful town with friendly people. Pine bluff is just not a safe area to live in.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:38 AM

33 posts, read 134,995 times
There are no jobs in this area including Monticello. I would recommend not coming here. If your husband looses his job you will most likely have to relocate again. You're wasting your time.

There are especially no Graphic Artist jobs. That's a joke around here. This Arkansas.

I'm surprised no one as mention the most important thing here......about Pine Bluff. The population is like 90% black. I'm not prejudice, but if you're not into their type of lifestyle you won't like it. Most white people in that area live in the boonies or surrounding towns.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:25 PM

14 posts, read 49,112 times
Default I agree

South Ark is not the best place to be moving to. Jobs are scarce. Warren has dried up and blowing away. It has resorted to second hand stores and dollar stores. Monticello was growing at one time but has now came to a halt. Crossett and Hamburg NO NO. Pine Bluff BIG NO NO. I think PB has the 2nd or 3rd highest crime rate in the nation. Monroe is just too far. Your best bet would probably be Monticello though.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:37 PM

200 posts, read 682,194 times
I guess I will put my two cents in, even though this question was posed well over a year ago...

Graphic designer jobs are not in large quantities in this neck of the woods. There are a few, but are probably held down by "lifers". Decent sized cities near to Monticello are Pine Bluff and Greenville, MS. Other than those 2, the larger cities would be Monroe and Little Rock, but they are farther away.

If Monticello is an absolute must, consider starting your own business, as someone else suggested, or teaching your profession at the college there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas