Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,238 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are moving to Jonesboro this summer due to a family necessity, and I expect to stay about a year. I'm really getting scared because my daughter and I are big city artsy types, and after Googling all kinds of keywords, Jonesboro pops up with NOTHING. Not even a liquor store. LOL I'm talking about natural/organic foods, "The Secret" type of mentality, hippie artists, outsider gallerys, etc. And it's even a "college town!"

Am I wrong to think there is NOTHING in Jonesboro but conservative Christians and old people who are heavily into the AMA type of medical fields?! Please inform me otherwise, if I'm wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Certainly you can find some of that on ASU's campus, and I'm sure plenty of emo kids attend the local schools. By and large, however, the townsfolk are conservative Christians. Once a Wiccan couple opened a store selling Wiccan wares. A group of pastors and other locals banded together to try to run them out of business. I'm not saying you can't find what you're looking for. You're just going to have to look really, really hard. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:06 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,670,118 times
It's Dry

Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlMominAR View Post
Hi - we are moving to Jonesboro this summer due to a family necessity, and I expect to stay about a year. I'm really getting scared because my daughter and I are big city artsy types, and after Googling all kinds of keywords, Jonesboro pops up with NOTHING. Not even a liquor store. LOL I'm talking about natural/organic foods, "The Secret" type of mentality, hippie artists, outsider gallerys, etc. And it's even a "college town!"

Am I wrong to think there is NOTHING in Jonesboro but conservative Christians and old people who are heavily into the AMA type of medical fields?! Please inform me otherwise, if I'm wrong.

you are probably pretty much right on, I don't know people are all old, but yes, it is more conservative than some places and no, you are not going to find hippies or organic foods as you are thinking, but you will find Farmers Markets in the area as well as a clean life style for your daughter. yes, the area is dry like some other parts of AR. To some this isn't all that bad, to those of us who enjoy liquid containing a little more than sugar and tea there are areas that do sell the stuff.

You will be there for a year, my advise, (not that you asked for it) listen to some of what others say, learn to adjust to your new enviorment and make the best of it. YOu have 2 choices, you can pout and make both yourself and daughter miserable or you can find the wonders of country living, a slow life style and really good people. It isn't forever and you might be surprised. As long as you don't try and push your life style down the throats of others you will survive.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,238 times
Thanks, all. Very good words to consider.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:38 PM

157 posts, read 517,867 times
Jonesboro is among the worst places for hippy culture. Which is funny, because the four people I know from Jonesboro are all liberal (much like myself). One is heavily involved with the Green Party in Arkansas and NORML (organization for marijuana law reform), as in president of his chapter at his University. The others have fled the state...

So, all I'm saying is that there MUST be your types in Jonesboro, you'll just have to search them out...Also, I'd say an Arkansas hippy is different from a cosmopolitan hippy, although you'll be united in philosophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas