Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Arkansas have great potential to produce solar energy?
Yes 6 85.71%
No 1 14.29%
Maybe 0 0%
Who cares? I like my energy coming from coal 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times

Advertisements

On my way to a meeting for work, I was listening to KUAR (NPR) like I normally do and Blanche Lincoln was on saying that she wanted Arkansas to have a bigger share of the Clean Energy bill that is expected to come up in Congress soon.
She said she felt Arkansas does not have enough potential for wind or solar energy. I'll give her that we don't have enough potential for wind but I was shocked that she said solar energy would not work in this state.

Where I live, there is plenty of sunshine and my neighbors and I would do well to put solar panels on our home.
There is even a subdivision in central AR somewhere that all the homes have solar power and the homes get 50-60% of their energy from the solar panels.

Do you feel Arkansas has great potential to produce solar energy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 AM

157 posts, read 517,737 times
It's not really a votable proposition.

It's dependent on average amount of sun exposure, directness of sun (i.e. latitude), etc

State Energy Alternatives: Alternative Energy Resources in Arkansas (http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/states/alternatives/resources_ar.cfm - broken link)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM

106 posts, read 470,766 times
The issue breaks down into camps. First is available alternate energy for Commercial means verses Home.

If you look at Commercial, both Wind and Solar are not as efficient in Arkansas as in other states. But for your home, well unless you are going to purchase a house designed for alternate energy production, you adapt to what you have already.

So it is not going to hurt you do to home use of Solar or Wind type energy applications. But you will not get as good of production as other home owners in regions.

Considering the cost of investment, production, and support for energy plants, I can see why Arkansas is not considered a good investment location for large scale Solar or Wind.

Now, Geothermal Development in Arkansas, has already been started .. namely Hot Springs, AR. Check out this link, where
Quote:
Also in 1807, settlers founded the city of Hot Springs, Arkansas, where, in 1830, Asa Thompson charged one dollar each for the use of three spring-fed baths in a wooden tub, and the first known commercial use of geothermal energy occurred.
Geothermal Technologies Program: A History of Geothermal Energy in the United States

Old 05-24-2009, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,442 times
The stimulus package contains a lot of money for local government investment in alternative energy technologies. I hope Arkansas is developing programs and applying for some of this money. You can view the grants at [url=http://www.grants.gov]Grants.gov[/url].

Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
I'm not sure, but I personally love the idea of getting my electricity from the sun and not being dependent on the electric company. I hope that someday soon the technology will improve to the point that it will become commonplace.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I'm not sure, but I personally love the idea of getting my electricity from the sun and not being dependent on the electric company. I hope that someday soon the technology will improve to the point that it will become commonplace.
There was an article about a year ago, Luv, that outlined how this boy genius developed a super-productive solar panel with ultra density for a High school project. Very small, dense, cheap panels that would make it possible for anyone to utilize them.

No word for a while, then I saw where M.I.T. applied for a patent for them.

Never underestimate big business.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
There was an article about a year ago, Luv, that outlined how this boy genius developed a super-productive solar panel with ultra density for a High school project. Very small, dense, cheap panels that would make it possible for anyone to utilize them.

No word for a while, then I saw where M.I.T. applied for a patent for them.

Never underestimate big business.

So you're suggesting that MIT applied for a patent for the high school student's design, because, though he was genius enough to apparently develop this technology, he wasn't genius enough to apply for a patent?

P.S. I indirectly know a brilliant Arkansan working in the solar industry. He set records while he lived here.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
So you're suggesting that MIT applied for a patent for the high school student's design, because, though he was genius enough to apparently develop this technology, he wasn't genius enough to apply for a patent?

P.S. I indirectly know a brilliant Arkansan working in the solar industry. He set records while he lived here.
No, I'm not suggesting it, I'm simply puking the contents of the article.

He set records in AR? That's not hard to do since we all have 3rd grade educations, is it?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM

So I'm searching for the article, I found this (MIT opens new 'window' on solar energy - MIT News Office), but no mention of a high schooler. Obviously that's MIT's site, so they probably wouldn't mention it. But I can't find it elsewhere.

Care to direct me to the relevant link?

He was the son of a UA professor. Obviously, the physics records will be lower in AR than in CA, but it's still a huge feat.

Now, who ever said that Arkansans have only 3rd grade educations? It's at least 6th grade.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:54 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
I think NWA would be a better candidate for wind energy over solar. It stays fairly windy here most of time. Especially Benton county where most of the county sits on a plateau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: