Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
I know the place pretty well. If I don't know I might be able to find out.
Do you what hospital(s) there were in Fort Smith in 1924? I hit a wall trying to get my mom's birth certificate because I don't know her parents names or even for sure what her birth name was. She was born in Fort Smith in 1924 but always said she was adopted and we have no idea if the maiden name she gave on our birth certificates was her adopted name or her birth name, don't know who her adoptive or birth parents were. Also don't know if it was a legal adoption or just relatives who "adopted" her. She was born in Fort Smith and grew up in St. Paul. No one seems to know anything about her. I've often wished there was some way to see what babies were born in Fort Smith on the day she was born (might have been so small a place that she was the only one born that day). For all I know she could have been born at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Do you what hospital(s) there were in Fort Smith in 1924? I hit a wall trying to get my mom's birth certificate because I don't know her parents names or even for sure what her birth name was. She was born in Fort Smith in 1924 but always said she was adopted and we have no idea if the maiden name she gave on our birth certificates was her adopted name or her birth name, don't know who her adoptive or birth parents were. Also don't know if it was a legal adoption or just relatives who "adopted" her. She was born in Fort Smith and grew up in St. Paul. No one seems to know anything about her. I've often wished there was some way to see what babies were born in Fort Smith on the day she was born (might have been so small a place that she was the only one born that day). For all I know she could have been born at home.
Unless she was born in an unwed mothers home which were more common in those days she probably was born at home. Have you tried writing to the State in Little Rock, giving the name you knew her by and see what happens? Other than that you might have serious problems tracting down her true name etc. Most likely, if the adoption was legal all files were sealed and the only thing you will be able to get, if that would be the adoption information.

Good luck, I can't help you on the hospital part.

Nita

Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 27,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

The only hospitals I've ever known in Ft Smith are:

Sparks (became AR's first hospital in 1887 according to their website)

St Edward Mercy Medical Center (1905)

Old 06-18-2009, 08:43 PM

10 posts, read 27,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Here are valid questions and I'm not being facetious.

- is the A&W still up or did they tear it down?
- World Burger/Whatta Burger, same question?
- Did the Sonic Drive In get "domesticated" like it did out west where it's green with dudes on skates?
- Has Fort Smith advanced economically? The last time I was there which was over a decade ago, they'd just heard of PlayStation 1 where I was busy playing PlayStation 2.
- Do kids actually play in the streets now or is it still sterile?

(I left Ft Smith about 11 years ago, but I lived in the area from '69 to '98)

-I remember A&W from years and years ago, but I don't remember exactly where it was. If they have one now, they've gotten it in the past 10 years and it's probably one of those combo places

-I also don't ever remember Ft Smith having a Whattaburger (unless it was before my time). When I was growing up, the closest Whattaburger I knew of was in Russellville. There were 2 World Burgers. One was on Towson Ave, the other on Hwy 271 (across from the old Dairy Queen that later became Bob & Ellie's, and is now something else).

-Can't answer the question about Sonic.

- Also can't answer about Ft Smith economically.

-We played outside and in the streets when I was a kid. (70's and early 80's). Late 80's was spent cruising Grand Ave. lol
I don't know any kids that play outside much if at all anymore.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:11 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
No. Thanks for asking though.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Here are valid questions and I'm not being facetious.

- is the A&W still up or did they tear it down?
- World Burger/Whatta Burger, same question?
- Did the Sonic Drive In get "domesticated" like it did out west where it's green with dudes on skates?
- Has Fort Smith advanced economically? The last time I was there which was over a decade ago, they'd just heard of PlayStation 1 where I was busy playing PlayStation 2.
- Do kids actually play in the streets now or is it still sterile?
I have lived in Fort Smith almost all my life. I lived in North Texas for a while when I was in the Air Force and, although I was happy to get away at the time, I couldn't get back fast enough.

There is no A&W in Fort Smith. The closest one is on I-40 in Oklahoma, maybe Sallisaw? It is a combo with a Long John Silvers.

There is no Whatta Burger in Fort Smith. There is one in Russellveille, but it isn't the same as the national chain (I don't think).

Never been to a Sonic out West, but they look like the Sonic stores in the commercials.

Fort Smith will never advance as long as it is controlled by old money interests.

Why would kids play in the streets if they have nice yards to play in? I don't understand the appeal of dodging kids in the street.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM

86 posts, read 255,277 times
Fort Smith: Information from Answers.com

according to this link in Ft.Smith in the 1920s there were only 28,900 people in Ft.Smith. A bit of a boom at that time due to Fort Chafee being built. I am sure it would not be too hard to find out what babies were born in that year.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Huckabee Nature Center
---------
went to this yesterday with 2 children. It was nice. Hot of course but nice. Air inside where alot of hand on for children. Free fishing for children under 16 and free kayaking. A great park and lake so bring your picnic lunch. Lots of shade trees.

fortsmithmoms.com

Great website for bored kids and moms.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I met several who had never used a computer.
I have met people in Houston with population of 2 million who have never touched a computer and refuse to ever. Not a great assessment of the people.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,751 times
Talking Retiring

I am planning on retirement in a few years. While things can change, anyone out their who can convinice me that their town is the best? Don't want snow (presently in Chicago). I'll spend most summers in Chicago or Michigan. Want to be around friendly people, nice neighborhoods, not too expensive housing, good cost of living. Would appreciate your input.
hagis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas