Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 24,830 times

Advertisements

I actually still can't believe this happened to us. As some know we are having to stay near Little Rock this summer so my husband can get daily treatment after his stem cell transplant for AML so we are staying with my brother in a tiny apartment with our 4 kids in Beton (funds have run out at this point, no pay check since the 2nd week of Feb so this was the most affordable plan for our family).

Anyway we crossed the bridge not far from where we are staying to go to Target to look for some little cheap craft projects for the kids to do (farm kids now in city in an apartment) and while we were there someone busted out our driver's side window stole my 4 yr old son's dvd player (not that it was that great but sometimes it did work lol) and our gps (which is I had just updated a month ago for a lifetime for $120, yeah couldn't afford to but was tired of getting lost because gps was 3 yrs out of date lol). I honestly couldnt believe it was in broad day light. Thankfully one target employee got the tag number and of course he got in trouble for running out there and getting involved anyway he was the only nice one there management assumed it was someone I knew that didn't like me (I dont know one person in Bryant) and weren't concerned about what the kids and I were going through at that moment but thats a whole other story lol

I am just wondering how common is crime here in the Benton and Bryant areas. I actually had trouble sleeping last night thinking my gps is stored with addresses (including this one and my home) that I have been to and what if they come back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessarky View Post
I actually still can't believe this happened to us. As some know we are having to stay near Little Rock this summer so my husband can get daily treatment after his stem cell transplant for AML so we are staying with my brother in a tiny apartment with our 4 kids in Beton (funds have run out at this point, no pay check since the 2nd week of Feb so this was the most affordable plan for our family).

Anyway we crossed the bridge not far from where we are staying to go to Target to look for some little cheap craft projects for the kids to do (farm kids now in city in an apartment) and while we were there someone busted out our driver's side window stole my 4 yr old son's dvd player (not that it was that great but sometimes it did work lol) and our gps (which is I had just updated a month ago for a lifetime for $120, yeah couldn't afford to but was tired of getting lost because gps was 3 yrs out of date lol). I honestly couldnt believe it was in broad day light. Thankfully one target employee got the tag number and of course he got in trouble for running out there and getting involved anyway he was the only nice one there management assumed it was someone I knew that didn't like me (I dont know one person in Bryant) and weren't concerned about what the kids and I were going through at that moment but thats a whole other story lol

I am just wondering how common is crime here in the Benton and Bryant areas. I actually had trouble sleeping last night thinking my gps is stored with addresses (including this one and my home) that I have been to and what if they come back
This can happen anywhere, yes, even in AR. Our daughter got her cell phone stolen from her by someone breaking a window in her truck. This was in a very upscale section of Orlando. At first she couldn't even understand what could have been in her car that anyone would have wanted. The police told her, they love to grab anything that is electronic. We all know a cell phone is worth almost nothing. The police did tell her, do not leave ANYTHING of any value in your car unless you lock it up in the trunk..Then there is me, who leaves my purse all the time. I do cover it, but I still leave it in the car, stupid I know, I guess I just trust too many people.

I am sorry you had to experience this, you have had enough in your life lately.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM

163 posts, read 616,784 times
Sorry to hear about your troubles Princessarky.
No, crime is not prevalent in Benton or Byrant.

More than likely, the scum who did this were just opportunistic and probably were not from the area. Criminals from Little Rock are known to drive to 'safer' communities to carry out their deeds.

Irrespective of the area where you live or shop, never (EVER) leave valuables in plain site in your vehicle. Especially GPS systems. The GPS holder or wires should not be visible either. I know it's a pain but it just takes seconds to put them out of sight.

I am very disappointed to hear the way Target management conducted themselves after the incident and may skip shopping there in the future. What kind of signal does it send out to humanity when an employee gets in trouble for doing the 'right' thing? I would contact the media about Target's response. At least the police have the tags, so the culprits will most probably get caught (and if not Karma will eventually catch up to them).

Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,354 times
Quote:
the scum who did this were just opportunistic and probably were not from the area. Criminals from Little Rock are known to drive to 'safer' communities to carry out their deeds.
oh PLEASE.

(I'm sorry that happened to you, though, Princessarky.)

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
oh PLEASE.

(I'm sorry that happened to you, though, Princessarky.)
oh PLEASE what? Are you saying that it does not happen? Have you something to add other than your afterthought in parenthesis. Don't understand your cryptic response.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm saying there are plenty of homegrown criminals in Saline County. For you to say that any crime that happens there is committed by people from Little Rock is naive and ridiculous.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I'm saying there are plenty of homegrown criminals in Saline County. For you to say that any crime that happens there is committed by people from Little Rock is naive and ridiculous.
Good Grief, where did I say that? Please point out where I said that any crime that happens 'there' is committed by people from Little Rock. Nobody in their right mind would allude to such a thing.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
More than likely, the scum who did this were just opportunistic and probably were not from the area.
"more than likely". STILL ridiculous.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 AM

11 posts, read 24,830 times
Last I heard from the detective (which was more than a week ago and probably will never hear from them again) was they thought it was those 2 guys that escaped from prison. They were going to look at the tapes from target cameras, I do know that the tag number went back to an abandoned house in Little Rock. I hate that I upset anyone here by posting. I am sure that there are some nice people all around this part of Arkansas but so far my experiences haven't been that great (just a lot of bad luck I guess). It is beautiful here and lots of things to check out

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessarky View Post
Last I heard from the detective (which was more than a week ago and probably will never hear from them again) was they thought it was those 2 guys that escaped from prison. They were going to look at the tapes from target cameras, I do know that the tag number went back to an abandoned house in Little Rock. I hate that I upset anyone here by posting. I am sure that there are some nice people all around this part of Arkansas but so far my experiences haven't been that great (just a lot of bad luck I guess). It is beautiful here and lots of things to check out
You certainly have reason to be upset but yes, there are many nice and honest people throughout Arkansas. I think the pressure you are living under, both with your husbands condition and the crowded living arrangement add to your frustration...

As for hearing from the police, you are right, probably you will not hear anymore. When we moved from Dallas to NM our entire moving van was stolen. The driver had left it while he went to get a satellite dish hooked up to his cab. The next day the van was gone. Long story, short, by the time they found it all our belonging were gone. Not more than a few weeks later, we, by accident track down someone who was probably involved in the theft, reported it to the Dallas police and nothing was done. It appears, if they don't catch the thiefs in the first few days they really could care less and in your case, If indeed it was the two guys, the cops are much more anxious to get them on more serious charges.

To most of the theft of our belongings is number one, the the police, they see thing every day, it means little. Well, they don't see entire belongings of a 43 year marriage stolen, they admit, this happens only once in every 10 or more years, if that often. They still didn't decide to persue it.

Good luck to you,

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas