Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wish the OP would come back and let us know how things are going. She did at first. Sometimes given a few months things start looking better.

Nita
She kinda did in #19.

Sorta.

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...as-help-2.html

That was her last post.

Maybe she's having so much fun that she gave up hanging out on the web.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
She kinda did in #19.

Sorta.

//www.city-data.com/forum/arkan...as-help-2.html

That was her last post.

Maybe she's having so much fun that she gave up hanging out on the web.
ya, she sorta did, but that was the end.

Nita

Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM

144 posts, read 552,350 times
Well I typed out a whole big update and when I went to submit, it got "lost". Anyway, we are still here. I started working about a week and a half ago and that has helped keep me busy. Hoping to meet some great people through my new job. We are adjusting. Found a few good restaurants and activities to enjoy. Curious about fall/winter. Obviously our canoeing/swimming isn't a good fall/winter activity. What's there to do? Fall festivals? Something besides hs football. Not being rude, but growing up in a small town, we just already know that Friday nights are football nights in small towns. We know hunting is big. What else?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM

thanks for getting back and catching us up on your life. I am glad you found a job, it should help you stay a little busy. As for this fall and winter, I guess I am showing my age, I don't know why people think they have to be entertained all the time. Yes, football is big in small towns, for some of us, football is big period. My husband, our family and I can't wait for it to start but not everyone shares our enthusiasm. The fall is a great time to take walks, start planning for the holidays, or read a good book or take an art class. Hopefully you will make some friends, if not super ones, at least someone you can spend a little time with. One little piece of advise, if you want to meet new people and adjust to your life try not to gripe about not liking where you live. People don't like to hear the negatives about their town.

Nita

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 AM

64 posts, read 148,996 times
There is "Friday on the Square" this evening in Harrison. It's monthly during the summer and I haven't been to it yet, but here are more details:

Harrison Daily Times - Harrison, Arkansas - Neighbor Newspapers > Archives > News > Friday on the Square rocks tomorrow night

Old 09-07-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,834 times
I am kinda in the same shoes. We are a young family in our 20's are relocating to MH next month. We've never lived in a small town myself. It feels good to see some positive posts on this site. I am a liberal myself and so it'll be interesting. I have heard a lot of good things about being in MH but have never experienced living in a small town. Hoping to make some friends...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbatra View Post
I am kinda in the same shoes. We are a young family in our 20's are relocating to MH next month. We've never lived in a small town myself. It feels good to see some positive posts on this site. I am a liberal myself and so it'll be interesting. I have heard a lot of good things about being in MH but have never experienced living in a small town. Hoping to make some friends...
If "MH" is Mountain Home. you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance.

There's a lot of tourist trade there, and a *lot* of people from other states, so the supporting busineses, restaurants, and recreation is plentiful.

It has some beautiful areas, plenty of lake access. I'm not sure I'd summarize it as a small town, as I tend to think of towns around me with a population of 125 as small.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbatra View Post
As RogMar said, give it a chance and you will enjoy living there. The one thing you may have a little trouble with is the liberalism part, overall it is small town and probably not a liberal as you may want. As long as you don't make an issue of this, no one else will.

Now, look for the beauty in the area (there is plenty of it) join a class,visit the sights, get involved in your kids school activities (I am assuming if you are a family you do have kids) and relish living in a small town which is how our country was formed. Yes, you will miss certain aspects of the BIG CITY, but may find small town living can be for you.

Nita

Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,073 times
Red, White and Blue Festival on the campus at ASUMH. Best fireworks show I've ever seen, even in the Minneapolis are where we came from. Enjoy the lakes. If you like fishing that's great, but stores, restaurants, that is an empty spot in Mountain Home. We bought 20 acres in Jordan, an unincorporated area about 20 miles south of Mountain Home. I hate snow and I love summers.... Great place for pets and we have little neighbor contact. Guess I am somewhat a hermit. I like being by myself and having neighbors that know every time I turn on a light, is a pain. For a while down here, there was a chasm between the locals and the transplants. But now we are beginning to outnumber them and it has gotten better. We got involved in the local fire department and I got a full time job in MH in health care (about the only place you can get a job). I still have a problem with the Baptist/Christian thing here. We live in a wet county but the fundamentals try to put up a battle to stop liquor sales. Not that we are big drinkers, but who are the Baptists to tell this old Episcopalian that I can't buy some wine or beer. I'm a liberal and there are way too many right-wingers here, but I think it'll change as more of us from the North move here. It's a shame that the northern states are driving their retirees out of their state with high property taxes and unfair income taxes. Arkansas openly encourages retirees. Retirement income and no kids to school.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzypat View Post
but I think it'll change as more of us from the North move here.
Heh....

Never fails.

"Let's make it just like the place we fled from, Madge!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas