Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsandreins View Post
We are not 70 and not quite 50.
Then you've got a lifetime left of soaking that up.

The most important thing is that you make an effort to at least partially assimilate. That should not be difficult for anyone coming from Texas, because at least you won't complain about the accents 'round here.

If you have a neighbor like the poster that felt they were going to change the whole of Mountain Home, I feel for ya. That can be the kiss of death, and make ones existance difficult at best. Every "retirement area" has some of those, and believe me when I say, "Old times here are not forgotten". The transition of an area into a yankee paradise just ain't gonna happen.

I will tell you that neighbors are gold. Get to know them. If you've got neighbors that are locals, start counting your blessings, because it'll take forever. They'll help you, give you tips, and you'll find that behind the accents and the calender with the days crossed off until the next deer season is an asset that money can't buy.

Mountain Home has a lot more restaurants than people think, and now that we are on the verge of tourist season, they are going to boom. The town makes it's living off of retirees and tourists, and we get to reap that infrastructure.

BTW, I don't live in Mountain Home, but I'm there frequently.

A little bit of paved road and street lights goes a long way with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 26,509 times
Default Mh teen

Okay so I'm 17. I just moved away from Mountain Home. Here's what people our age do around there: movie theaters, the bowling alley by Walmart (no one goes to the old one anymore), the lake. The local hangouts: Walmart parking lot... the new Walmart is where you find rednecks. The old shut down Walmart and Harps parking lot is where you find partiers. YES WE SERIOUSLY CONGREGATE IN PARKING LOTS LOL Go to those places to make friends around your age. If you're into partying... make some friends... there's always some parties and illegal stuff going on... no matter how much the police say it's a quite good little town.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:11 PM

12 posts, read 35,885 times
RogMar,

I like some of your thoughts. We came here to retire in a smaller more down to earth place. We have neighbors that are both locals and transplants of 20 yrs. We like our privacy yet still get together with our friends for some good laughs. It is a different way of life here but to us being in the mountains of a smaller town is more like home. My husband grew up in the Pa. mountains before he went into the military where he just retired after 25 yrs of service. I grew up camping in the mountains of Pa. That is too far north to go back to. Every small country town is going to have it's pros and cons - ups and downs. There is no perfect place to live. Life is what we make of it and make good with what is has to offer. I am a yankee but I do not want the yankee ways here. I would rather have the "old times" because that is what seems to be more true. I think there are a lot of people who forget about that and somewhat lose their way. To take a step back might give you a better step forward.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appsandreins View Post
RogMar,

I like some of your thoughts. We came here to retire in a smaller more down to earth place. We have neighbors that are both locals and transplants of 20 yrs. We like our privacy yet still get together with our friends for some good laughs. It is a different way of life here but to us being in the mountains of a smaller town is more like home. My husband grew up in the Pa. mountains before he went into the military where he just retired after 25 yrs of service. I grew up camping in the mountains of Pa. That is too far north to go back to. Every small country town is going to have it's pros and cons - ups and downs. There is no perfect place to live. Life is what we make of it and make good with what is has to offer. I am a yankee but I do not want the yankee ways here. I would rather have the "old times" because that is what seems to be more true. I think there are a lot of people who forget about that and somewhat lose their way. To take a step back might give you a better step forward.
Good attitude.

As I have said before, there is an Arkansas here for everyone.

If one wants an urban lifestyle with city water/sewer an unthought of necessity, the ability to stand at your fence and talk with the neighbors, and the pleasure of traffic all night long, one's plate is full.

However, on the other hand, if you want to live near the tree line, just occasionally hear your neighbor's chainsaw, and know that although the nearest folks are *way* down the road, but just a phone call away, you have endless choices also.

I always get a kick out of going to some of the local restaurants near retirement enclaves, and listening to people complain about the locals, accents, and the mass slaughtering of Bambi.

I suppose the same people are outraged when they find they can't buy a loaf of bread at the hardware store, or get gas for their car at McDonald's.

I suggest they move to an area like Fayetteville or Little Rock, where they can get on line and sing the blues about the "Three whole months I lived among the hillbillies".

Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Good attitude.

As I have said before, there is an Arkansas here for everyone.

<partially deleted by redbird to save space>

I suggest they move to an area like Fayetteville or Little Rock, where they can get on line and sing the blues about the "Three whole months I lived among the hillbillies".
Good post, RogMar. We have the same thing in Oklahoma. We are either crime ridden, meth capital, horrible drivers, or toofless rednecks from rural or small towns.

I see the same posts every day, a variation of IS OKLAHOMA RIGHT FOR US? What is Oklahoma like?

Because honestly, it DOES vary by where you live in our state, and how would we know what is right for you and your family.

Can we just set up a sign and send some of the transplants questions to you guys? I mean, really, we could share some stories by the back fence!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Good attitude.

However, on the other hand, if you want to live near the tree line, just occasionally hear your neighbor's chainsaw, and know that although the nearest folks are *way* down the road, but just a phone call away, you have endless choices also.
I like this part of your post. We have run chainsaws in the back 5 since we have moved here stacking wook for next winter. Our neighbors are far enough away where it would take a phone call. We've had neighbors at fences before but like this way a lot better. The people talking about the slaughter of bambi don't realize that deer meat is a staple in peoples food here. Some don't have the luxury of just running to the grocery store to buy a bunch of meat. We hunt but we are meat hunters and only take what we need. Deer meat was a staple for my husbands family when they were kids. I like a variety and choices in a town and not just have what a town has to offer. I still have yet to go to the town square when they have the little market. When we passed through here last June I thought it was pretty cool. I think people from the bigger cities can learn a thing or two from a small town. If two groups of people, (country boys/girls and city slickers) were to get lost in the woods or forced to rely on mother nature for survival who do you think would come out on top. I think one day if the economy continues to go downhill more and more people will be slaying more bambi's and growing their own food. We all have to survuve somehow.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Good post, RogMar. We have the same thing in Oklahoma. We are either crime ridden, meth capital, horrible drivers, or toofless rednecks from rural or small towns.

I see the same posts every day, a variation of IS OKLAHOMA RIGHT FOR US? What is Oklahoma like?

Because honestly, it DOES vary by where you live in our state, and how would we know what is right for you and your family.

Can we just set up a sign and send some of the transplants questions to you guys? I mean, really, we could share some stories by the back fence!
I believe there is a town that is right for everyone, it just all depends of the kind of life style they want. We personally like the trees and mountains, the openness and water. We did do research before we moved here. The low taxes was one thing that made up our mind. It is one of the lowest we have seen for the kind of area we like.

When we get together with friends there is a lot of story telling going on. It's a fun night when we ride the 4 wheelers over there, sitting around a fire pit having a few and laughing for a while. There is always something to do here and we don't have to drive a distance to do it. Live is good.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Whoa, hoss.

I was just thinking about starting a rumor that there's a huge Neiman Marcus opening over by you and watching the mass migration westward.

"Stay home, Ma. Keep the windows shut. There's hordes of minivans headin' for I-44".

Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,942 times
I have lived here 11 yrs., still havent found anything interesting or fun to do. The only place for shopping is walmart, unless you go thrifting or garage sales (snore). Unless you are retired, this isnt the greatest place to live. Jobs are scarce. Your best bet is to find a church and network there. The "bars" are more like sad impressions of honky tonk dives. I have been all over the country,and this place is depressingly boring. If I were you,I would get out of town as much as possible!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:50 AM

127 posts, read 216,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecrash View Post
I have lived here 11 yrs., still havent found anything interesting or fun to do. The only place for shopping is walmart, unless you go thrifting or garage sales (snore). Unless you are retired, this isnt the greatest place to live. Jobs are scarce. Your best bet is to find a church and network there. The "bars" are more like sad impressions of honky tonk dives. I have been all over the country,and this place is depressingly boring. If I were you,I would get out of town as much as possible!
Just to be fair, this is NOT me under a different name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas