Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times

Advertisements

since you cant tell tone from writing you dont know it i am or not. But when you ask a question and make it a thread, and people answer it it would be better if you were more humble and accept that others are hurt by your assumptions that Southerners bash but somehow Northerners are just misunderstood. that is offensive, and if i were yelling maybe you could step back and see how you didnt really listen to others tell you that the bashing goes both ways.

a more respectful answer might have been, I didnt really think of it that way, what were you alls experience dealing with yankees and did they bash the south? so you would hear our points of view and we could hear yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:05 PM

206 posts, read 439,859 times
Maybe it's just me, but I have been to a lot of places in this country and it's only the South I get bashed. I can walk into any inner city and do fine, but when I open my mouth down South and the Northern accent comes out, I am treated like I have the plague. Sad, but true.

I think I got my answers, so carry on.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I have been to a lot of places in this country and it's only the South I get bashed. I can walk into any inner city and do fine, but when I open my mouth down South and the Northern accent comes out, I am treated like I have the plague. Sad, but true.

I think I got my answers, so carry on.
And when some of us open our mouths in the North, we get treated like we are less intelligent, less cultured, less literate, etc. It goes both ways, peacechild.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And when some of us open our mouths in the North, we get treated like we are less intelligent, less cultured, less literate, etc. It goes both ways, peacechild.
Exactly. Why would you be treated like an outsider in the North, peacechild? You're from there.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think I understand now. It's kind of funny that in Europe all American's are considered Yankees.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Exactly. Why would you be treated like an outsider in the North, peacechild? You're from there.
I'm talking about California, Florida, etc...

Old 06-26-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I think I understand now. It's kind of funny that in Europe all American's are considered Yankees.
no only in England

Old 06-26-2009, 03:26 PM

i dont hate yankees , in fact i married one after being married to a girl from SC. I hate the arrogance of the Yankees who think they know it all and that their poop doesnt stink.

i am not ashamed of being southern and i make no apologies for it. I dont care if we are considered backwoods, small town, conservative or narrowminded. i know that i have travelled all over the world, can speak several languages, have lived in big cities, suburban communities and small towns, know high culture and folk art, was homeschooled, a missionary kid in central america bush and yet made it to one of the top 5 schools in the nation and I did it as a southerner. i can listen to opera and go frog giggin, love to mud in my truck and hunt hogs but also i have travelled to China and adopted a chinese daughter.

and I am not the only southern to have done so, heck i am just average so think of the really great folks out there and what they are doing.from the great actors, to the great musicians, artists, dancers, writers, architects, great universities and great presidents.

no, i dont want yankees to be ashamed of their homeland i want them to respect mine and I will respect there. but if they come with that garbage about southerners and our culture and way of life ,i im happy to oblige with a bash or a boot up the bottom way

Old 06-26-2009, 03:32 PM

I never doubted that people in the South could be intelligent or worldly. I have always thought the opposite. I just wondered why Northerners were treated the way they are. That's all.

Like I said before, I had the same thing happen to me in Tennessee. When I questioned it as to why; I was told it was because I was from the North. I said because I am from the North, you've got to be kidding me? They were not.

I suppose we all experience things differently in life.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I don't hear of any bashing of Southerners, but then again I don't look at other city posts. Have a friend in Tennessee that hears the same thing about Northerners. She said it may have something to do with not trusting them.

Have not seen any bumper stickers that cut down the people in South, but have seen many in AR.

Happiness is a Northbound Yankee

I don't care how they do it in the North.

I thought maybe it was just small town mentality versus a Northern or Southern thing. They do have hicks in the North too. It's not a Southern thing only.

Just curious as to why some people think that way.

seems like you are not very observent, if you read what the bumperstickers say you would understand the hostility. why would someone make a bumper sticker that says--I dont care how they do it in the North? just think about it. it comes from an arrogant behavioral pattern of yankees going back to the carpet bagger days of thinking that what they do in the north is somehow better than what we do in the south. I love when a yankee tries to preach to southerners about racism and rednecks and equality. go to any rural place in the north and its no better than our rural poor hollers in the south, and no worse either. Vermont had more dirt roads than any other state in the Union, and not one big city. they eat woodchucks and put cardboard on their house for siding. but thats just one thing, go to southside of chicago or detroit or philly and you would think you are in Beirut lebanon or some 3rd world city, the difference would be the 3rd world would be getting up and finding a way to make a living and not waiting for a hand out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas