Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,588 times

Advertisements

Is there any place in Arkansas that rents sailboats?

I know marinas in general, especially in Arkansas, might not feel the need for a website which makes searching for this kind of thing hard. I found one place that apparently used to rent sailboats but stopped recently. Their website still claims to do sailboat rentals however.

Anyone know? Or am I forced to go out of state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
I don't know if they were rentals, but I can remember seeing sailboats at Lake Ouachita when I was a kid (it was about 20 years ago). You might want to call around down there.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

99 posts, read 350,337 times
There was at least one sailboat out on Lake Ouachita a few weeks ago when we were there. But again, it may have been privately owned and not a rental. I am not aware of such rentals around here.

Hope you find one.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM

41 posts, read 153,703 times
Default Sailboat Rental

The private marina, Iron Mountain Lodge & Marina rents a lot of boats but not any sailboats unless it is a very recent addition. The Degray State Park on Degray probably rents hobie cats or something like that but real sailboats. Their web sites should indicate.
www.degray.com or www.iron-mountain.com

www.tripennantresorts.com should tell you if there are sailboat rentals on lake Ouachita.

You probably would not want to rent on the lakes at Hot Springs even if you could.

Iron Mountain Lodge & Marina has the best sailboat docks and perhaps the best sailing experience/community around AND several boats for sale. Check out www.ironmountainyachtclub.org. for more info.
I have been hanging out there for 25 years.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:44 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Is there any place in Arkansas that rents sailboats?

I know marinas in general, especially in Arkansas, might not feel the need for a website which makes searching for this kind of thing hard. I found one place that apparently used to rent sailboats but stopped recently. Their website still claims to do sailboat rentals however.

Anyone know? Or am I forced to go out of state?
There are no sail boat rental places in Arkansas. A few minutes ago I called a business on Lake Maumelle who did at one time and he said they were the last ones to go out of the rental business. Sorry

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
There are no sail boat rental places in Arkansas. A few minutes ago I called a business on Lake Maumelle who did at one time and he said they were the last ones to go out of the rental business. Sorry
Yep that is the one I found as well. It is pretty unfortunate. Too many people going out and tearing them up.

Well I guess the question now is whether or not I want to run out and buy one without any sailing experience.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yep that is the one I found as well. It is pretty unfortunate. Too many people going out and tearing them up.

Well I guess the question now is whether or not I want to run out and buy one without any sailing experience.
-
And yeah I realize my statement is a bit hypocritical, but I've been reading everything I can about sailing for the past month. I figure a 10 minute crash course on shore to reinforce what I've read and then I could coast on out to a wide open area to get a feel for the boat. I just really want to sail.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 AM

41 posts, read 153,703 times
Default Learning to sail

Coasting in a sailboat is pretty tricky! .
I recommend you spend spend a Saturday morning walking the docks at Iron Mountain Marina. There will be lots of friendly folks willing to talk about sailing. Just mention that you are considering buying a boat and they will be even more friendly.
There are several boat for sale including a Catlina 22, which is a great boat for learning to sail. I do not own it now but this particular one is the same boat I learned to sail on. It is a fixer-upper but I think is is still solid and is priced right. You will enjoy learning on a boat you do not have a lot of money tied up in. Our sail boat docks are the nicest and probably the newest in the state.
Sailing is more of a challenge than some may think but it is not exactly rocket science unless you make it that way.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:09 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:

That's what the man told me. It was more trouble to maintain the boats than it was worth, so they went out of the rental business.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,760 times
If you are starting out I would start with something smaller than a 22. Something smaller is easier to manage if you mess up. Especially if you drift into land. I'd suggest a sun fish or 10-14ft boat. Especially for lake sailing because you can take them anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas