Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 AM

151 posts, read 713,745 times

Advertisements

I am do it yourself guy and would like to know which counties in north west Arkansas where I can go it completely alone without the hassle of dealing with government for new construction, repairs and additions. (i.e building permits and inspections).

I was particularly looking at land in Boone county to build on but would be good to know about surrounding counties also. I am trying to figure how much if not all I can do myself without requiring building permits, inspections or expensive licensed contractors. For electrical I have the NEC and the IRC code books and plan on building to code. But wonder if I will still need a permit for electrical and have it inspected or whether DIY is even allowed.

For example typically I have found areas in other states where work is only allowed by expensive licensed contractors. Where if you installed it yourself even it it was to code the inspector would require it to be yanked out only to be reinstalled back the same way by a licensed contractor. Obviously something I want to avoid.

So I prefer an area where I do not have to deal with government and the shenanigans that go along with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I poked around Boone County, Harrison is the County seat. The most I can find is a reference to something called A-R code. It was mentioned in a discussion of a new veterinary clinic. What it is or how restrictive it is, I do not know. You probably should call the county and ask what the building codes are. I am quite sure most electricians use national code.

What little I know about code applies in most counties I lived in: You need a perk test to determine where you install a septic. Electric, gas and telephone iines can lay next to the septic. Water must be (every county is different) 50-100 feet awau from the septic. County surveyor maps should tell you approximately how many feet you are above water, and what the ground is made up of, but the maps can't tell you wether or not the water is sweet. You pray you get lucky on the first drill.

I did this about 10 years ago. When it was finished It cost about 8-9K to set the septic and utility lines; bury it plus set a light pole, wire everything to the pole, and another $2500 to connect to the city water main. The water is a long story. I lived in the county in a very small subdivision. One of the owners paid an enormous sum of money to get the city to run a water line up one side of the sub. They we paid the city to trench, lay the line and connect us. It was not a cheap project but we got what we paid for. I have my own well and pump now. The water pressure is much better.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,300 times
my under standing is in boone county certain areas do not require any permits /mostly in city they are required / where i live no permits are necessary.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:59 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,327,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nya19555 View Post
my under standing is in boone county certain areas do not require any permits /mostly in city they are required / where i live no permits are necessary.
You do realize that you just responded to a thread over 9 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas