U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 04:28 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,669,253 times

Advertisements

The Arkansas Policy Foundation has graded all Arkansas schools using the ninth grade SAT scores for school year 2007-2008, and giving grades "A" through "F". Since it is not feasible to post all 70+ grades here, if you are interested in a specific school or schools, reply here and I will respond.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:01 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,975,548 times
Alma
Greenwood
Van Buren
Cedarville
Ramsey (Fort Smith)
Chaffin (Fort Smith)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Alma
Greenwood
Van Buren
Cedarville
Ramsey (Fort Smith)
Chaffin (Fort Smith)
Well Doc, and anyone else reading this thread, late last night I realized I should have posted how to access that info instead of leaving it dangling like I did. And to add to the problem, I cannot find that list in this bottomless pit I call a desk. Anyway, download Arkansas Policy Foundation and it will give links to that, and more. In fact, it is a very interesting and informative site. 'sor 'bout dat!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM

I couldn't find the whole list, but I did find the article referring to it. Here is an excerpt (with citation).

Arkansas Policy Foundation

Quote:
Top Districts (A Grade)

Districts receiving top grades (A or A-minus) in the study are Lake Hamilton, Bentonville, Pottsville, Fayetteville, Conway, Lakeside (Garland County), Mena, Bryant, Searcy, Scranton, Valley View, Salem, Greenwood, Mountainburg, Dardanelle, Bismarck, and Parkers Chapel.

Failing Districts (F Grade)

Districts receiving failing (F) grades are Forrest City, Dermott, Augusta, Helena-West Helena, Turrell, Earle, Hughes, Dollarway, and Hermitage.
I haven't heard of most of the failing districts, so I am assuming they are in either Eastern or Southern Arkansas. Not too surprising.

I would like to see the correlation of the teachers' salary schedule compared to the success rate of these schools. I know G-wood, Bentonville, & Fayetteville pay decent, but I don't know about the failing schools (Mountainburg pays almost state minimum and made an A).

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I couldn't find the whole list, but I did find the article referring to it. Here is an excerpt (with citation).

Arkansas Policy Foundation

I haven't heard of most of the failing districts, so I am assuming they are in either Eastern or Southern Arkansas. Not too surprising.

I would like to see the correlation of the teachers' salary schedule compared to the success rate of these schools. I know G-wood, Bentonville, & Fayetteville pay decent, but I don't know about the failing schools (Mountainburg pays almost state minimum and made an A).
Yes, that correlation would be interesting to know. I know the Little Rock School District pays very good, but none of their schools made the A/A- cut. Some I know about (except salaries) are; Lakeside is a fairly large school in the country outside Hot Springs, Pottsville is a wide place in the road, Mena is a small (5,000 pop) country community, and Bismarck is a country crossroads. So, one may assume, quality/dedication of teaching staff is the key.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM

837 posts, read 2,061,851 times
here's the list:

http://www.arkansaspolicyfoundation....nkings0708.pdf

Old 08-25-2009, 12:04 PM

42,532 posts, read 26,618,680 times
After looking over the link, it doesn't seem that school performance is tied so much to teacher salaries/pupil expenditures as much as it is tied to things like geographic density, and the education level of parents.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:47 PM

278 posts, read 933,822 times
This is some good info. Thanks for sharing. I am a parent thinking of moving to NW Ar within the next yr so this info is important to know.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 PM

77,813 posts, read 91,855,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
After looking over the link, it doesn't seem that school performance is tied so much to teacher salaries/pupil expenditures as much as it is tied to things like geographic density, and the education level of parents.
I agree, the attitude and education of the parents will determine a lot more than the pay of the teachers or the cost per child.

Nita

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 PM

Alma C
Greenwood A
Van Buren B
Fort Smith B

So, it looks like Alma scored the worst among the non-speed trap cities in the River Valley. That was a shock for me as many people say they have a great district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas