Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 05:18 PM

157 posts, read 854,366 times

Advertisements

check out the "Golden Apple Awards" for the best school districts.

#1 has been Valley View , which is a part of Jonesboro (very nice town)
#2 is Searcy (where I live) nice schools too, but a small town (has Harding College, but town is about 20,000 and not much to do here, actually)
#3 is anywhere in NW arkansas , which is growing.. .Rogers, Fayetteville, etc

you DON'T want the delta part of Arkansas (south and east) and you certainly don't want Little Rock... all of the schools above are public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,930 times
Thumbs up Big move to the rock

As of right now i live in Temple,a small town in Texas.I was born in little rock and raised on the northside of town.{18th in Pike area}Little Rock is a nice place to live,although it is a big city.Little Rock still has that down south country vibe. I love it

But asfar as surban area, here a list:North Little Rock Area:Camp Robinson
Levy
Sharewood
Jacksonville
Maumelle.
HOPE YOU FIND WHAT YOUR LOOKIN FOR.
Welcome to Little Rock

Old 06-03-2007, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 40,235 times
I was raised in Bryant, Arkansas since I was 7 years old. Awesome family area to raise your kids and it is right outside Little Rock. If I ever have the opportunity to move back "home" that is where I would go. Good luck on your search!

Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 AM

50 posts, read 317,485 times
Though I don't live there now I'm a native of Arkansas. I can't imagine living in the Little Rock area. Ft. Smith is a little better than LR in my opinion but I would go further north of there and seriously check out NW Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers/Springdale/Bentonville). There is tremendous growth--lots of it generated by Walmart, which headquarters in Bentonville, and lots of it generated by a beautiful area which was mostly undiscovered up until just a few years ago-- the U of A is in Fayetteville so there is plenty of cultural and other stuff to do there. Eureka Springs has been mentioned--I lived there for 17 years. Great town but it's more than 25 minutes from the city (about 50 minutes) and not much work outside of the seasonal tourism. Still, knowing what I know, I would choose Eureka. If you could make Eureka work it's truly a magical place (or was). Check out www.lovelycitizen.com, a local paper. Very touristy but great art town and truly unique beautiful setting. It depends on what you consider essential but Berryville has a little more shopping for essentials and it's only 12 miles from Eureka. Just curious, why Little Rock? NW Arkansas has a totally different feel from central and southern Arkansas. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucep View Post
Though I don't live there now I'm a native of Arkansas. I can't imagine living in the Little Rock area. Ft. Smith is a little better than LR in my opinion but I would go further north of there and seriously check out NW Arkansas (Fayetteville/Rogers/Springdale/Bentonville). There is tremendous growth--lots of it generated by Walmart, which headquarters in Bentonville, and lots of it generated by a beautiful area which was mostly undiscovered up until just a few years ago-- the U of A is in Fayetteville so there is plenty of cultural and other stuff to do there. Eureka Springs has been mentioned--I lived there for 17 years. Great town but it's more than 25 minutes from the city (about 50 minutes) and not much work outside of the seasonal tourism. Still, knowing what I know, I would choose Eureka. If you could make Eureka work it's truly a magical place (or was). Check out The Lovely County Citizen of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, a local paper. Very touristy but great art town and truly unique beautiful setting. It depends on what you consider essential but Berryville has a little more shopping for essentials and it's only 12 miles from Eureka. Just curious, why Little Rock? NW Arkansas has a totally different feel from central and southern Arkansas. Good luck.
Plus Plus living near the universtiy you will have a good football team to route for: well, you would have last year.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,996 times
Hello I live in a town called VanBuren it's about 25 minutes from Fort Smith and about 2 1/2 hours away from Little Rock. The school systems here are great we have very high test scores. I moved here from Delaware about 6 years ago. So, I too know of the crime problems that are going on back home. No, you don't need to put your son in private school because people here are very friendly and welcome people from the east coast. I have two children ages 6 and 7 years old.The school systems here in VanBuren are great and drug free. Yes, I too have heard about the Meth problems in Little Rock. My husband and I have gone there to their UAMS hospital several times. Little Rock in my opinion is very crowded and a emergency room shouldn't need to have a metal detector at the door entrance but, in there case I guess it's needed. Several years ago when we first moved here, from Delaware we moved to Fort Smith the Crystal Meth problem was really alarming. But, now since they have cracked down and busted all or most of the meth lab's and stop allowing people to buy so many over the counter ingredients you use to make the meth with. And they keep track of the people's name who buy's the products. We love the town we live in it's a suburban town with lot's of things to do for older and younger people. In Fort Smith which is about 20 minutes away there are 5 Roller Skating rinks,2 Skateboard parks,4 or more parks,Go-Cart park,Mini put put, 4 Movie Theater's,2 Hospitals,2 Malls, 3 WalMart Super Center's, alot of schools, a dirt race track 10 minutes away, Strait Drag for racing, Airport,several private schools and many much more. There are alot of things to do here and it's not expensive like it is back home on the east coast. The few things that we miss and don't have here are: the beach & ocean, Philly Cheese steaks,Scrapple,and Wawa. Well, if there are any other questions you have you can email me. I hope you find this helpful because I know what it's like being a "Yanky" liveing in a Southern State.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Plus Plus living near the universtiy you will have a good football team to route for: well, you would have last year.
I think they will be better next year, not to mention the basketball team this year: what a surprise!!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodmomma81 View Post
Philly Cheese steaks

????

I've been to a few places in my area that serve Philly Cheese Steaks.

We even got a greek/armenian place a while back that serves gyros.

Gettin' kinda *metropolitan* in the sticks!

Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 PM

just noticed something, here we are, all giving our opinions of where to live and this thread is almost 2 years old.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just noticed something, here we are, all giving our opinions of where to live and this thread is almost 2 years old.
Stranger things have happened, Nita.

There was a thread a little while back from a guy that was buying...20 acres....or something that was similarly aged, and when activity started on it again, he popped back up.

When the thead revives, I try to look at the date, but sometime am too quick on the keybord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas