Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:07 PM

86 posts, read 93,619 times

Advertisements

As far as loving it or leaving it,
This is nothing but a rhetorical statement that does not mean anything. Love it or leave it? It is the right of anyone as long as it is legal to do as they wish. If someone wants to make a change in their community they have as much right to do without consulting you as you do and not consulting me. It is your attitude that is not acceptable. From what I see the good old boys throw more trash out on their "beautiful state" as any I have ever been in. If they love it so much why do I see AR lisc. plates on beat up old trucks throwing out bags of Mickey Ds and beer bottles? It is not the older retired people from up north that is doing that. I will fight against the racist backward attitudes here just as in any state. So if I see some good old boys burning a cross or lynching someone it is just the good old boys playing right?

Old 10-05-2009, 05:52 PM

529 posts, read 1,651,360 times
You are taking what was said in another thread about the good ol boy system in the completely wrong context. The good ol boy system was referred to as a business practice that seems to exist in Little Rock and other parts of the state. It has nothing to do with rednecks littering.

We might as well just close this thread now before someone gets there feelings hurt again. Apparently some people on this forum lack a backbone.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
-----good old boy network --

We used to have that in Minnesota schools about 25 years ago.

" Career" school board members only needing enough support to keep getting elected and if you objected to the way a school was being run( as a parent) it was too bad for you.

Then in the 1980's a wonderfull thing happened------open enrollment.

You could/can enroll your kid in any school district and the state funding follows the student.

Amazing how school boards started listening to parents concerns cuz although winning the election guaranteed them their positions, if 20% of the students left,their school would soon go broke.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
-----good old boy network --

We used to have that in Minnesota schools about 25 years ago.

" Career" school board members only needing enough support to keep getting elected and if you objected to the way a school was being run( as a parent) it was too bad for you.

Then in the 1980's a wonderfull thing happened------open enrollment.

You could/can enroll your kid in any school district and the state funding follows the student.

Amazing how school boards started listening to parents concerns cuz although winning the election guaranteed them their positions, if 20% of the students left,their school would soon go broke.
We have open enrollment in Arkansas now too. It is a wonderful thing. A little competition is good for everyone (other than the crappy schools, of course)

Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM

69 posts, read 136,833 times
Does the bickering/complaining ever stop on the Arkansas board? Seriously, I've seen more whining than ever on here.

This state will never be paradise, but no place is. It could be much, much worse. Even in the most serene of locations, I'm sure there's some shady character throwing a beer bottle on the natural landscape. If it bothers you that much, go get a bag and some gloves and pick it up. Don't like racist attitudes? Tell someone what you think if you hear derogatory comments. If you come out with all your limbs in tact, that is. As for good ole boys, they're everywhere. If you think some employers in northern states don't hire because of who they knew or grew up with, I've got some beachfront property in Russia I want to sell you.

If you want to make a change, go out and make it. Creating message board threads isn't going to do anything but make you look silly and whiny.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmississippi23 View Post
Does the bickering/complaining ever stop on the Arkansas board? Seriously, I've seen more whining than ever on here.

This state will never be paradise, but no place is. It could be much, much worse. Even in the most serene of locations, I'm sure there's some shady character throwing a beer bottle on the natural landscape. If it bothers you that much, go get a bag and some gloves and pick it up. Don't like racist attitudes? Tell someone what you think if you hear derogatory comments. If you come out with all your limbs in tact, that is. As for good ole boys, they're everywhere. If you think some employers in northern states don't hire because of who they knew or grew up with, I've got some beachfront property in Russia I want to sell you.

If you want to make a change, go out and make it. Creating message board threads isn't going to do anything but make you look silly and whiny.
He makes a good point. It could be worse...we could live in Mississippi. If there is anything that makes me feel good about living in Arkansas, it is the fact that I don't live in Mississippi or Oklahoma. Thanks neighbors.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
As we always say, "Thank God for Mississippi." If it weren't for Mississippi, Arkansas would be last in every category and may still be stuck with the Nutt brothers.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,210,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmississippi23 View Post

You make an excellent point.

As a matter of fact, outstanding.

We will always have the people that when someone talks about how they like Eureka Springs, they are ready to pounce, quickly correcting your skewed ciew by jarring your dreamscape that Eureka Springs has no high-speed rail system delivering them to the doorstep of Memphis, Dallas, or any other *real* city...they have no Neiman-Marcus, Macy's, Sachs, or any other *real* stores...no Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or any other place where one can obtain the organic foods for their vegan diets.....etc.

In other words, why would *anybody* in their right mind go there?

As someome else that posts around here says, "If you don't agree with my viewpoints, I don't think you're a very nice person".

It reminds me of the "I wanted to" group that I've met through the years that always have an excuse.

At times, conversation would turn, or I would be asked, about taking part in that devil spawn known as "Viet Nam". I would concur that, yes, I enlisted...and yes, I went willingly.

This admission would render a reply of, "Ya know, I really wanted to go too, but I was married, was in school, had kids, two dogs, I had to tune my car up, and wash my hair that night".

To which I reply, ¡qué casualidad!....me too!

Tell me ya just decided to not go, tell me that Eureka Springs just ain't your cup of tea, tell me that there's absolutely nothing you like about Arkansas and it makes you feel better to crow about that on an Arkansas relocation forum.

Just don't p*** down my back and tell me it's raining.

I suspecting that a lot of the Arkansas hate mail has underlying dissatisfaction, and it ain't from Arkansas.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 AM

837 posts, read 2,249,584 times
Now, y'all. Mississippi and Oklahoma are fine states with their own unique features to offer. What is the point of insulting other people's homes?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times
Good old boy networks are present in nearly every state and municipality. They can be found in public corporations, private companies, universities and social organizations too. It’s how things get done. And it sucks if you are on the outside looking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas