Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times

Advertisements

Before coming to Arkansas, I had never seen a mall without a Macy's, but I had always lived in bigger cities. They have Dillards in a lot of the smaller cities or something like a paresians as an anchor store. They advertise for Macy's in Fort Smith because so many people in Fort Smith go somewhere else to shop. My relatives go to Tulsa, Fayetteville, and Dallas to go shopping. It sucks that you have to drive so far to shop.

Did you also notice that there are no sidewalks or street lights in neighborhoods. I have never understood why this is the case...maybe someone can explain it to me.

As for squirrels, now that I think about it, I don't see many squirrels. I live out on the farm and I don't see many here. Come to think about it, I don't see many birds either. That really is strange. You know people here shoot just about anything, maybe the squirrels and the birds have talked and decided to go somewhere else more safe.

There is a nice library here...for the size of the city. They take the fines so seriously because they need the fine money to pay to keep it going. They have a very nice city pool, although they do not have enough parks.

I am surprised that you did not mention the limited amount of places to eat. That is a problem.

I think it is smart not to name the daycare without supervision. We love our daycare. There are two place that I believe have good daycare. The Methodist Church in Fort Smith and 1st Presbytyrian. I believe both have a 1 to 4 ratio. You don't have to go to either church to take advantage of the daycare and it is fairly afforadable. There is however a long waiting list to get into either one of those places. It has been my experience that if a daycare does not have a waiting list, you may want to look somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
They advertise Macy's here because we share television stations with NWA.

There are fewer sidewalks because people drive everywhere in this region; we just don't use our legs as a form of transportation very often. Things are too spread out for that. And there is no use for stoplights in the neighborhoods because the traffic is not bad enough to need them.

Fort Smith is considered a "bird sanctuary" so I am sure there are birds.

Go walk around at UAFS and you will see a ton of squirrels; as a matter of fact, you will have to walk around them because they aren't afraid of people and they think they own the sidewalk (yup, they have sidewalks).

Old 10-04-2009, 11:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Before coming to Arkansas, I had never seen a mall without a Macy's, but I had always lived in bigger cities. They have Dillards in a lot of the smaller cities or something like a paresians as an anchor store. They advertise for Macy's in Fort Smith because so many people in Fort Smith go somewhere else to shop. My relatives go to Tulsa, Fayetteville, and Dallas to go shopping. It sucks that you have to drive so far to shop.

Did you also notice that there are no sidewalks or street lights in neighborhoods. I have never understood why this is the case...maybe someone can explain it to me.

As for squirrels, now that I think about it, I don't see many squirrels. I live out on the farm and I don't see many here. Come to think about it, I don't see many birds either. That really is strange. You know people here shoot just about anything, maybe the squirrels and the birds have talked and decided to go somewhere else more safe.

There is a nice library here...for the size of the city. They take the fines so seriously because they need the fine money to pay to keep it going. They have a very nice city pool, although they do not have enough parks.

I am surprised that you did not mention the limited amount of places to eat. That is a problem.

I think it is smart not to name the daycare without supervision. We love our daycare. There are two place that I believe have good daycare. The Methodist Church in Fort Smith and 1st Presbytyrian. I believe both have a 1 to 4 ratio. You don't have to go to either church to take advantage of the daycare and it is fairly afforadable. There is however a long waiting list to get into either one of those places. It has been my experience that if a daycare does not have a waiting list, you may want to look somewhere else.
The first Macy's I ever say was in D..C. we had none in So California and we certainly had our share of Malls. I think since combining with a few other dept store chains, they may have some now. We had a few in NO VA, but cetainly not all malls and we had only 1 in NM. I don't remember any in our 2 big malls in NW Dallas. We did have a couple in the bay area. It really depends where in the country you live. Like Dillards, they are more right here, Texas, NM and the general mid part of the country.

As for sidewalks, again we have had them in many places but we did not in NM and both our daughter live in very upscale neighbornoods, one in Texas and one in the outskirts of Orlando have no sidewalks.

4 to 1 ratio for childcare in outstanding. I can see why you are happy with your childcare center.

Nita

Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
Actually I checked Macy's website and they have quite a few stores all over the country. My boyfriend use to work for Macy's.
The only states that doesn't have Macy's are:

AR, AK, IA, MS, and NE.

There's even a Macy's in Guam and Puerto Rico.

I've seen birds but I haven't seen pigeons.

I think squirrels are all the same on college campuses. They expect people to feed them and if you don't they'll just take it from you.

I've noticed that about sidewalks too. There are some in certain parts of town though. I don't expect them everywhere but at least around neighborhoods because people walk their dogs. It's cumbersome to jog around a neighborhood without sidewalks.
I think there should be some streetlights around neighborhoods just because I've noticed people walking around at night, some with their pets and some just out for a stroll, it would be safer that way.

I think I'd rather fly to Houston to go shopping. Dallas is my least favorite Texas city.
It's not that bad. Not having much shopping choices will cut down my spending. Maybe I'll even save up enough money while I'm here to take a trip to Scotland next year.

ETA: The libraries have some interesting stuff going on. There's going to be a free short story writing class offered at the Miller location taught by the Miller branch manager. I don't know what sort of writing credentials she has but it doesn't hurt to check out.

Last edited by LibertysFate; 10-04-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
Actually I checked Macy's website and they have quite a few stores all over the country. My boyfriend use to work for Macy's.
The only states that doesn't have Macy's are:

AR, AK, IA, MS, and NE.

There's even a Macy's in Guam and Puerto Rico.

I've seen birds but I haven't seen pigeons.

I think squirrels are all the same on college campuses. They expect people to feed them and if you don't they'll just take it from you.

I've noticed that about sidewalks too. There are some in certain parts of town though. I don't expect them everywhere but at least around neighborhoods because people walk their dogs. It's cumbersome to jog around a neighborhood without sidewalks.
I think there should be some streetlights around neighborhoods just because I've noticed people walking around at night, some with their pets and some just out for a stroll, it would be safer that way.

I think I'd rather fly to Houston to go shopping. Dallas is my least favorite Texas city.
It's not that bad. Not having much shopping choices will cut down my spending. Maybe I'll even save up enough money while I'm here to take a trip to Scotland next year.

ETA: The libraries have some interesting stuff going on. There's going to be a free short story writing class offered at the Miller location taught by the Miller branch manager. I don't know what sort of writing credentials she has but it doesn't hurt to check out.
I think you missed my points, one: I did say, so many large chains have merged that many have become part of Macys or Macys part of them, but until a few years ago they were not everywhere and second, they may be in most states but those states may not have them everywhere. Hotair mentioned he has never seen a mall without a Macy's. My point, this may be his experience but there are many malls without Macy's.
All the Macy's in Los Angeles area used to be part of the May Company chain for instance. Most in No Va the same.

Nita

Old 10-04-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think you missed my points, one: I did say, so many large chains have merged that many have become part of Macys or Macys part of them, but until a few years ago they were not everywhere and second, they may be in most states but those states may not have them everywhere. Hotair mentioned he has never seen a mall without a Macy's. My point, this may be his experience but there are many malls without Macy's.
All the Macy's in Los Angeles area used to be part of the May Company chain for instance. Most in No Va the same.

Nita
I have lived in Atlanta, Denver...both had Macy's and Rich's before they merged. For the record, Dillard's stinks. Fortunately, I do as little shopping as possible because I hate to shop. I go shopping about twice a year for clothes in Dallas. Unfortunately for me and my bank account, My wife likes to shop. She goes to Tulsa for shopping.

As for sidewalks, I was talking about sidewalks in neighborhoods. Apparently, people are content with walking in the streets or getting in their car and driving two blocks. Who knows.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have lived in Atlanta, Denver...both had Macy's and Rich's before they merged. For the record, Dillard's stinks. Fortunately, I do as little shopping as possible because I hate to shop. I go shopping about twice a year for clothes in Dallas. Unfortunately for me and my bank account, My wife likes to shop. She goes to Tulsa for shopping.

As for sidewalks, I was talking about sidewalks in neighborhoods. Apparently, people are content with walking in the streets or getting in their car and driving two blocks. Who knows.
Yep, D.C. had Macy's before the merged as well, but not So. Ca. San Francisco had a couple of them. I think there may have been a couple in Dallas but am not sure. There certainly were not nearly as many as now. Our 2 largest malls in Dallas still do not have Macy's.

As for shopping, I haven't really been to a mall in maybe 5 or more years. I used to go to one in ABQ but now I use the specialty shops and the net, which I do think will become the way in the future. I think it has already. Both Macy's and Dillards, the only2 large chains left are in big trouble. As I have mentioned before my daughters and granddaughter hardly ever shop at the old enclosed malls.

Nita

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,791 times
I have had such a good laugh reading through this thread!

It always amazes me how much things can be taken for granted. People who live in huge cities move to a place like Fort Smith and immediately start pointing out everything it doesn't have compared to where they have been before. Don't get me wrong, I would most likely do the same thing on some level. I was just reading though thinking about how I LOVE when I get the chance to go to Fort Smith to shop!

To me, Fort Smith is a large town that actually has a mall... I live in a town with a population under 2000. Not even a Wal-Mart here! So making a trip to Fort Smith for some shopping is a treat for me. I actually could go to Little Rock because it is about the same distance as Fort Smith for me, but I prefer Fort Smith.

The thing I most like about Fort Smith is that it feels small, yet it still has so much to offer the general public. No, it may not be a famous metropolitan area, but isn't that exactly what draws many of us to the area in the first place?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post

It always amazes me how much things can be taken for granted. People who live in huge cities move to a place like Fort Smith and immediately start pointing out everything it doesn't have compared to where they have been before. Don't get me wrong, I would most likely do the same thing on some level. I was just reading though thinking about how I LOVE when I get the chance to go to Fort Smith to shop!

To me, Fort Smith is a large town that actually has a mall... I live in a town with a population under 2000. Not even a Wal-Mart here! So making a trip to Fort Smith for some shopping is a treat for me. I actually could go to Little Rock because it is about the same distance as Fort Smith for me, but I prefer Fort Smith.

The thing I most like about Fort Smith is that it feels small, yet it still has so much to offer the general public. No, it may not be a famous metropolitan area, but isn't that exactly what draws many of us to the area in the first place?
I guess having a lot to offer is relative to what you are used to. I don't think I could live in a town that small, but that is why I never moved there. Some people prefer it. To each his own.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post

Though I may not want to live in a town of 2000 (my granddaughter does and is fine with it) your point should be well taken. It amazes me that anyone would even mention not having one particular store. If they lived in a town of 50,000 and had no dept stores or no grocery stores, whatever I could understand, but as many places as I have lived I have never compared two places based on one store.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas