Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,823 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I've heard of scams and this appears to be one. What do you think? It has all of the characteristics of a scam...especially the "too good to be true". I Googled the address, and the house (in the pictures posted with the ad) looks like the same house in the address street view on Google. I'm waiting to hear back from John Durrett, who claims to be the owner. I feel like I already know the answer, but thanks for any advise.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Here's his reply to me when I original inquired about the house for rent:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Thanks for your email and interest in renting my house..I am the owner of the house you are making inquiry of...Actually I resided in the house with my family before and presently we have moved out due to my transfer from my work now in Warsaw,Poland. Presently my house is still available for rent for $600 USD (rent already includes utilities).More so Now, i am currently in Lagos,Nigeria for an international Christian follower's crusade.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Please i want you to note that i spent a lot on my property that i want to give to you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own, It is not the money that is the main problem but i want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i come for a check up.. I will like to let you know that i initially wanted to sell the house but my wife advised i rent it out to responsible people who could take very good care of it. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word.This is the address of the house ( 11 Barbara Drive Little Rock, AR 72204 )[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]It has a dramatic entry foyer with ceramic floor. Extremely spacious rooms throughout with lots of big windows...nice and light! New neutral paint and some newer carpet..Very quiet, low traffic area. Appliances included are washer, dryer, oven,dishwasher, new fridge (7/07)...I believe its absolutely a perfect home for you and your family.Utilities include Water,Trash,Sewer,Gas[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]RENT APPLICATION FORM.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]FIRST NAME:__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]MIDDLE NAME:__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]LAST NAME:__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]DATE OF BIRTH:_________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]PROFESSION:__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]PHONE:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana](CELL)PHONE__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana](WORK)PHONE__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana](HOME)PHONE__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]MARITAL STATUS:__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]KIDS _____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY ________[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]CITY: _______________[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]STATE:______________[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]ZIP CODE: ____________[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]HOW LONG? ___________IF RENTING[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]WHY ARE YOU LEAVING__________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING? ____________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN? ______________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]IF YOU HAVE A PET,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]KIND OF PETS: _____________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]HABITS[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]DO YOU SMOKE ______________ ?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]DO YOU DRINK ______________?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT? ____?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Looking forward to hearing from you with all this details so that i can have it in my file incase of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you...Await your urgent reply so that we can discuss on how to get the document and the keys to you,please we are giving you all this based on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words,you know that we have not seen yet and only putting everything into Gods hands,so please do not let us down in this our property and God bless you more as you do this...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]The house is available for rent at the moment so you are free to move in as soon as you wish to...A Deposit of $700 (which happens to be the security deposit) is required before moving in...Feel free to call me for more information and arrangements on how to get the keys and other necessary documents delivered to you...my number is (011-234-802-569-4166 or +234-802-569-4166).The house will be available for rent for a period of 4 years so you have a choice of deciding how long you intend staying there...[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Regards and Remain Blessed[/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
scam much?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I am surprised it doesn't ask you your blood type and eye color.

My favorite question: "Do you work late at night?"

Old 10-06-2009, 04:55 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
of course its a scam. im living in nigeria, thats always a good clue.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:16 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I hear Warsaw, Poland is lovely this time of year.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
#19 Barbara Drive is owned by the Calvary Christian Fellowship:
CALVARY CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP - LITTLE ROCK, AR 72204 - 19 BARBARA DR - NonProfit/Tax Exempt Organization

The guy could be telling the truth about going to "Nigeria for an international Christian follower's crusade."
(He's at #11 Barbara Dr.)

I still vote SCAM or recruiting ploy. LOL

Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I spent a year in W. Africa, specifically Nigeria, to the rest of africa and europe, Nigeria is known as "The Land of Thieves" , unless you are receiving an e-mail from someone you know personally and have talked to face to face, consider it a scam.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:50 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,993,268 times
Oh god I love this stuff.

google for "419 eater" and be amazed, but be warned it may have strong language and pictures.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 PM

455 posts, read 979,036 times
Great site J Arp! Wish I had the time to engage in some of those "plots". I read the entire one enticing the scammer to get a tattoo...PRICELESS!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 AM

245 posts, read 545,381 times
Yes it is a scam or a virus.. Sorry but if your in the U.K, Nigeria, and the Philippines why in the hell would you be so eager to send some random American some money or some sort of great deal, yes run!!! I just mess with them and let them think Im psychotic or something like telling them I will give them my info only and only if they allow me to date a member of their family.. Yes sad, but Im sure they must be like what is wrong with this guy, lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
View detailed profiles of: