Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
I tend to believe that the south is more conducive to that philosophy than the north.
Then get ready for a shock, my friend, 'cause there are a lot of folks down south who'll take you to task if your social beliefs don't square with their chosen religious beliefs. And as there's a lot of poverty in Arkansas, you'll surely be subsidizing them with your tax dollars.

But, hey, don't let me sway you. I'm just warning you that the grass isn't necessarily greener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Then get ready for a shock, my friend, 'cause there are a lot of folks down south who'll take you to task if your social beliefs don't square with their chosen religious beliefs. And as there's a lot of poverty in Arkansas, you'll surely be subsidizing them with your tax dollars.

But, hey, don't let me sway you. I'm just warning you that the grass isn't necessarily greener.
Arkansas receives more in federal money than the federal government receives from Arkansas. New York is just the opposite...so, you are already paying for Arkansas.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:47 PM

64 posts, read 148,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat View Post
Firstly, I am unfamiliar with the state other than driving through it a couple of times, so I asked for advise.

If you (and others) are concerned with my political views as they relate to Arkansas and would like to pigeon hole me, my philosophy fits well with libertarians. I don't care what one does as long as they don't infringe on the rights of other when doing it nor ask someone else to pay for it. Pretty much sums me up other than the fact that I am a Constitutionalist hold many of the "old fashioned values" dear.

I tend to believe that the south is more conducive to that philosophy than the north.
Hi Bayrat, I've been living in Harrison, AR for several months, transplanted from California. I think you'll like it here, notwithstanding the drawbacks pointed out by other posters (which are also accurate).

I missed the "political" commentary because it was deleted. But if you are socially liberal, you will probably like Eureka Springs or Fayetteville. If you are not personally "socially liberal" but more of a "live and let live" type, you'd probably feel fine all sorts of places in NWA or NCA. Unless you are affronted by Christianity, in which case you might best avoid this whole part of the country.

If you take a trip to investigate AR, be sure to drive through Harrison and/or Mountain Home. Harrison is less than an hour from Branson, which has what might be considered "good shopping," and only a bit further to Springfield, MO, which is a bit too much of a big town for my preference.

My family drove through the area, looking for a place to relocate in this general part of the country (we were thinking OK, AR, MO, or TN), and Harrison struck our fancy. (Mostly mine.) So here we are.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 PM

99 posts, read 288,542 times
Thank you all for the private messages, postings and honest insight into the state's culture. I will review the links at my leisure (which is not readily at hand) and carry on with my search. I find most of you folks they type I would like to live next door to. God bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas