Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:48 PM

490 posts, read 1,265,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice420 View Post
We own properties in several other communities across the country and have never seen the type of issues, upset and outrage we experienced coming from the owners vs the POA in HSV so I would not say the issues in HSV are remotely comparable with other communities.

It depends on which side of the village you're on, I have Sprint and my husband has AT&T. On the East Side we had decent reception, DeSoto Court and the West Gate however, zip, zero, zilch.

At least lighting the parking lot so that they are not dangerous would be nice, the street lamps in DeSoto Court rarely worked and when they did they were so dim as to be useless. As someone that walks with a cane, this posed a direct threat to my personal safety, which is why I mention it in my review. The lack of lighting out there goes to the extreme of posing a safety hazard, that is not ok and will eventually lead to someone being injured and suing HSV.

Gas prices in & immediately outside HSV are $0.10 - $0.15/gal higher than they are 15-20 minutes further toward Hot Springs. We live in Lake Hamilton at this point, I know for a fact gas prices there are even at this point significantly higher than even Mt. Ida which is a much smaller and far more remote town than HSV so yes, you are being gouged.

You can get that in many places throughout this and other states without dealing with the complete isolation HSV offers. Calling it a "paradise", we'll have to agree to disagree there. Comparing HSV to any of the other communities we own properties in across this country, to say it falls short of being a "paradise" would be a massive understatement.
OK we get it, you don't like it here. Fine, you are gone. Enjoy Lake Hamilton, we will enjoy our lives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 11,118 times
BTOverdrive, we finally made it to HSV and we did indeed end up on the East Side, so that makes us neighbors! We love the place we found and we're unpacking as I type this.

We are so pleased with our choice to retire here. Everyone has different ideas about what their personal haven looks like, but this fits our concept quite nicely. The fact that it's dark and you can see the stars, it feels private and isolated if you choose the right lot, we're surrounded by trees and wildlife, good services and great food are all around us - some within a five minute drive and some within a 30 minute drive - we don't consider that an inconvenience at all, especially with such beautiful drives! As long as I can get any sort of decent internet connection, I'm good - I do most of my shopping online and have done so for years, so Amazon at 1 a.m. in my jammies is ideal at any speed.

The people we've met in our brief time here have been extraordinarily friendly and helpful. If someone is used to the walkability of city life, having a universe of diverse shopping and dining options within a few blocks of their home and the conveniences of public transit and 24/7 services, you should not consider moving to Hot Springs Village or any similar community. If those attributes have little value for you and you're looking for a slower, lovely and natural environment and want to experience a somewhat more graceful, laid back way of life, there's much to love about Hot Springs Village.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,400,038 times
I am guessing here, but on the east side, you are probably as close to Benton vs hot springs. That being the case, that doubles the dining and shopping!

Enjoy your retirement!

Old 04-16-2019, 10:57 PM

340 posts, read 515,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adanish View Post
BTOverdrive, we finally made it to HSV and we did indeed end up on the East Side, so that makes us neighbors! We love the place we found and we're unpacking as I type this.

We are so pleased with our choice to retire here. Everyone has different ideas about what their personal haven looks like, but this fits our concept quite nicely. The fact that it's dark and you can see the stars, it feels private and isolated if you choose the right lot, we're surrounded by trees and wildlife, good services and great food are all around us - some within a five minute drive and some within a 30 minute drive - we don't consider that an inconvenience at all, especially with such beautiful drives! As long as I can get any sort of decent internet connection, I'm good - I do most of my shopping online and have done so for years, so Amazon at 1 a.m. in my jammies is ideal at any speed.

The people we've met in our brief time here have been extraordinarily friendly and helpful. If someone is used to the walkability of city life, having a universe of diverse shopping and dining options within a few blocks of their home and the conveniences of public transit and 24/7 services, you should not consider moving to Hot Springs Village or any similar community. If those attributes have little value for you and you're looking for a slower, lovely and natural environment and want to experience a somewhat more graceful, laid back way of life, there's much to love about Hot Springs Village.
Some things you’ll need to know.

Gulpha Gorge ... this short road let’s you bypass the Hot Springs downtown area.

Home Plate, Blue Springs Grill, Charlie’s Pizza, and Tanners. The best restaurants outside the village

Card gates ... besides the manned west and east gates, there are 3 card gates where you use your HSV member ID to open the gates. Balboa gate, Glazypeau gate, and Danville gate but the Danville gate is closed while they rebuild a bridge.

My favorite places to eat in Hot Springs

Steinhaus Keller ... authentic German food, along with German beer and wine

Back Porch Grill ... best steaks in town

Phil’s Southern Cafe ... right across from the racetrack, home cookin and lots of it.

Stubby’s BBQ on Central

Mueller’s Bakery and Cafe

Mr Whiskers catfish and seafood

Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 AM

383 posts, read 399,783 times
Quote:
The people we've met in our brief time here have been extraordinarily friendly and helpful.
This is much the same experience we have had on our visits to AR. We tend to prefer north central area. The attitudes of the people we meet are as you describe.

Congratulations on the move. Y'all are home now.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 AM

490 posts, read 1,265,920 times
Quote:

Welcome to the village, it sounds you came for the same reasons we did, plus the golf of course. We have been here eight years and love it more now than when we moved. We are within a couple of miles from several restaurants, Mulligans, Isabella, Granada, Last Chance (when it reopens), Tanners, Mollies out the Balboa gate and almost across Maderas from Diamante (we are clubhouse members for the dining only), we joined when the owners of Tanners had to move from Granada to their current location outside the east gate. The Granada restaurant was closed for quite a while so that is why we joined and liked it so much we remained members.

Jim mentioned some restaurants in Hot Springs, some of my favorites are Luna Bella and JS Italian Villa for italian food and my favorite BBQ is McClards, been eating there since I was a kid when we could come visit my uncle on Lake Hamilton many years ago. We have a very good italian restaurant in the village now called Dolcha Vita, it is off Balearic road behing the Catholic church, we go there a lot on saturdays after the 5pm mass.

Also as latunafish mentioned it is as close going to Benton from the east side as lower Hot Springs for shopping and dining. Now that hwy 5 has been widened we find ourselves going to Benton more and more. I have not been into Hot Springs for probably over a month now.

And by-the-way, we are getting a market on the east side, I know the people putting it in and it's under construction as we speak, hoping for a late may or june opening. It will be called JT's Neighborhood Market and it will be at the corner of Ponce and Desoto in a small strip center where the dentist office used to be across Desoto from the big Remax building.

I'm sorry I am rambling but I cannot say enough good about the village. You will figure out what you like and don't like and I hope you will be as happy here as we are. If you need some names for landscaping, mowing, handyman, etc, PM me and I will be happy to provide you with some names I have used and are very satisfied with.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I am so glad that my parents got to live there before they both got too sick to live independently and so far away. They really enjoyed their time in HSV and I think they would have stayed there indefinitely if they hadn't needed a bit more support and help and more specialized medical services.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:10 PM

BTO ... That's great news about the east side Grocery store. Is this the one in the Estes Center, or outside in the old Cranfords building?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,400,038 times
A little off topic, but not completely, several of my hot springs area friends have been frequenting a restaurant/cafe out in the village area. I can’t remember the name, but it is a woman’s first name like Barbara’s. They all rave about the food and I think it is mainly buffet.
It must really be good, as two of my buddies were late to the races last weekend because they had to go out there first. ( and they drove from the 7 south area) I am going to check it out after the live racing season is over.

Old 04-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
A little off topic, but not completely, several of my hot springs area friends have been frequenting a restaurant/cafe out in the village area. I can’t remember the name, but it is a woman’s first name like Barbara’s. They all rave about the food and I think it is mainly buffet.
It must really be good, as two of my buddies were late to the races last weekend because they had to go out there first. ( and they drove from the 7 south area) I am going to check it out after the live racing season is over.
Debra's, there is one location on Highway 7 near the Fountain Lake school and another location inside the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas