Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. As my username suggest, I live in TX. Have only been to Arkansas passing through from Tennessee to Dallas. Me and my wife are wanting to take a Christmas vacation this year and were seriously considering Hot Springs as it is about a 5 hour drive. We were hoping to do some hiking, sight seeing, enjoy some good food, and basically relax. We know that for hiking we may have to drive an hour or two from a hotel, and that's okay.

Anybody here got some good suggestions for hiking and sight seeing in the middle of winter? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

224 posts, read 689,184 times
go for it! better yet, rent a cabin there, perfect for outdoorsy types... Hot Springs is going to be so fun around the holidays!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
go for it! better yet, rent a cabin there, perfect for outdoorsy types... Hot Springs is going to be so fun around the holidays!
I agree, great idea. Yes, rentals should be dirt cheap in Hot SPrings even though it is Christmas season. Do be prepared for it being pretty darn cold though.

Nita

Old 10-15-2009, 07:00 PM

111 posts, read 390,925 times
I stopped by Hot Springs a couple of years back on the way home to LR to visit for Christmas, thought they put on a nice display.

When you are on your way up you should loop up and do the Talimena Skyline Drive that ends in Mena, then drive down the river valley (Ouachita I think) from there to Hot Springs. How far out of your way it is depends on what part of Texas you are coming from. There's lots of natural places along that way. The tourism dept divides the state up into sections. Look for their info for that wedge of the state.

I caught the Skyline Drive one year where everything was frosted over, without the road being iced. I think the fog does it maybe or something. It was beautiful but I don't think it happens that often. Check the road conditions before you start if you go that way.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 11,620 times
I really think Hot Springs would be a beautiful place to go on x-mas. My husband and I usually get away from Dallas every so often to Lake Hamilton there. SunBay Resort is a nice place to stay with good people. You can usually find a pretty good deal on Vacation-Offer.com!

Let me know how it goes!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyp23 View Post
I really think Hot Springs would be a beautiful place to go on x-mas. My husband and I usually get away from Dallas every so often to Lake Hamilton there. SunBay Resort is a nice place to stay with good people. You can usually find a pretty good deal on Vacation-Offer.com!

Let me know how it goes!
Suzy, SunBayis where we are staying in January. Glad to hear it is nice.

Nita

Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
They've already started decorating downtown for Christmas. It's going to be beautiful. Everyone keeps telling me I'm going to have a white Christmas. That would be cool.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
They've already started decorating downtown for Christmas. It's going to be beautiful. Everyone keeps telling me I'm going to have a white Christmas. That would be cool.
wow, would it be your first White Christmas? We have never had one, 7 years in Va and never a white Christmas. We had snow before and after but never on the ground for the special day...Same in NM: a couple of years ago we were in Dallas for Christmas. That year it did snow in NM but we weren't there.

How are things going in Hot Springs?

Nita

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,110,658 times
Things are going great here in Hot Springs. I'm having a great time exploring my new home.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,791 times
I guess I will be the one nay sayer here... I do love Hot Springs, but as a native of this are I will always say it is best seen and visited in the other three seasons.

Though they do put on some pretty good lights downtown and have even had an ice rink these past few years, Hot Springs just isn't very pretty in the winter. Everything here in the winter just looks dead.

As far as weather goes, this is Arkansas, and you never know what you are going to get. One day it could be in the sixties and seventies, perfect for hiking, and the next day it could be freezing or below, which would make outdoors activities miserable.

That being said, if you have your heart set on Hot Springs for Christmas, than I am sure you will find your visit somewhat enjoyable. I do however hope you will come back this way in the spring or summer, once everything looks alive again... that is when Hot Springs truly shines! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas