Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,740,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newto53202 View Post
Hello everyone. I have read through these posts for a little while and am looking for some advice.

I am currently attending college in Milwaukee, WI. I have family that live in Hardy, AR. After doing some investigating, and I am totally floored by how long the price of tuition is in Arkansas for school. Arkansas state and UA are like a THIRD of the price of colleges here. I am considering moving to Arkansas to finish up school (I have 2 years done in general liberal arts courses at a community college).

I would most likely live with my family for the first year or so, and try to find a job/etc. After that I'd be looking for my own place to rent.

Can you guys tell me a little about the culture/people in AR? I am a pretty typical college student. Liberal, into art, very into politics and literature. I am worried that the stereotypes I've heard about Arkansas will be true and I won't get along with anyone there.

Also, the school I am considering most if Arkansas State in Jonesboro. Does anyone know more about this school, or would you reccomend another school? I will likely be commuting and Jonesboro is only like 90 minutes away and it seemed reasonable enough.

Thanks for reading through all my rambling!
UCA would be cheaper than Fayettville but Fayettville is somewhat liberal...from what I hear.

In any case, Joneseboro doesn't have a lot to do for students. If you're outgoing and like being in clubs, ASU might be a fit for you. I have friends there that hate it and some love it.
90 minutes is a pretty long commute. Is there no way you can live in the dorms? I commute to school because I attend a two year school but I would love living on campus because it would make my life a lot easier.

You can survive and be a liberal in this state. Most young people are lot more open-minded than the older people. You will be fine.

As far as the job situation...it's hard for anyone to find jobs these days it seems. I think Joneseboro will be your best bet for a job because the Conway market is TIGHT. I have friends that live in Conway who have had a hard time finding jobs.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,341,509 times
I would imagine that most schools will have student-worker possibilities. I know Arkansas-Fort Smith has a ton of student work available (library, clerical, etc). The good thing about working for the school is that they will put your classes as priority number one, but the most hours they will allow is 15 a week.

Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 AM

111 posts, read 389,422 times
Do you go to that "midwestern college" that is in all those Penthouse forum letters?

I don't know anything about them myself of course, but "a friend" told me about them once.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,887,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Here's the thing I've noticed about folks from Wisconsin -- they really, really like to drink beer. And in either Jonesboro or Conway, that's gonna be a problem. Jonesboro is a conservative, Bible Belt town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
In any case, Joneseboro doesn't have a lot to do for students. If you're outgoing and like being in clubs, ASU might be a fit for you. I have friends there that hate it and some love it.
College is what you make of it. I spent 4 years at U of A - Monticello. Even though Drew county is dry as a bone, I had a very active social life. My close circle of friends did not like the student organizations available to us so we started a chapter of a national fraternity which at the time of my graduation was the largest on campus.

I do worry about the OP's liberal leanings. I don't remember a single political conversation with my friends outside of required classroom discussion. That being said, I do think it was understood that we all had conservative values. That was confirmed when I joined Facebook and re-connected with a LOT of my old buddies. There's not a single one of them I would consider 'left leaning' even the the one guy who did get his degree in the arts (music to be precise). The OP will just have a little more difficulty in finding friends who have the same views as he does.

-Robert (Go Boll Weevils!!!!)

Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
College is what you make of it. I spent 4 years at U of A - Monticello. Even though Drew county is dry as a bone, I had a very active social life. My close circle of friends did not like the student organizations available to us so we started a chapter of a national fraternity which at the time of my graduation was the largest on campus.

I do worry about the OP's liberal leanings. I don't remember a single political conversation with my friends outside of required classroom discussion. That being said, I do think it was understood that we all had conservative values. That was confirmed when I joined Facebook and re-connected with a LOT of my old buddies. There's not a single one of them I would consider 'left leaning' even the the one guy who did get his degree in the arts (music to be precise). The OP will just have a little more difficulty in finding friends who have the same views as he does.

-Robert (Go Boll Weevils!!!!)
Fantastic attitude. As I mentioned our granddaughter found the same, about the political atmosphere at the University of AR, it was a little better during her senior year cause they were about to graduate and it was an election year. They graduated in May of last year. Even then, there were a few of her friends that didn't have a clue. The ones she could discuss things with were a mixture on both sides.

As for drinking, again, this is something everyone has to judge for him/herself and not all young people think the nearest bar has to be within a block of the campus. For those who want to drink, which I think might be a large number of them, there are always ways to get booze anyway, not to mention the first couple of years most are not of legal age.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas