Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM

20 posts, read 71,072 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have read through these posts for a little while and am looking for some advice.

I am currently attending college in Milwaukee, WI. I have family that live in Hardy, AR. After doing some investigating, and I am totally floored by how long the price of tuition is in Arkansas for school. Arkansas state and UA are like a THIRD of the price of colleges here. I am considering moving to Arkansas to finish up school (I have 2 years done in general liberal arts courses at a community college).

I would most likely live with my family for the first year or so, and try to find a job/etc. After that I'd be looking for my own place to rent.

Can you guys tell me a little about the culture/people in AR? I am a pretty typical college student. Liberal, into art, very into politics and literature. I am worried that the stereotypes I've heard about Arkansas will be true and I won't get along with anyone there.

Also, the school I am considering most if Arkansas State in Jonesboro. Does anyone know more about this school, or would you reccomend another school? I will likely be commuting and Jonesboro is only like 90 minutes away and it seemed reasonable enough.

Thanks for reading through all my rambling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:14 PM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
If you're into liberal arts, UCA might be preferable to ASU. Conway is a much more liberal town than Jonesboro. But either way, I'm sure you will make friends if you keep an open mind and don't pay too much attention to stereotypes. Sure, Arkansas is a largely rural state, but it's got everything you could want if you're into camping or outdoor activities. Hardy has some beautiful scenery. People here are more accepting than you think, respect is pretty much a two-way street. Just get used to Southern culture and don't be too quick to judge anyone and you'll be fine.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:30 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,017 times
The mosquitoes in Jonesboro are bigger than your head. I can see your interest in stAte due to the proximity to Hardy, but from the friends I had who went there I have heard it is pretty boring unless you drive to Memphis

Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Conway is a much more liberal town than Jonesboro.
Only on the Hendrix campus.

Here's the thing I've noticed about folks from Wisconsin -- they really, really like to drink beer. And in either Jonesboro or Conway, that's gonna be a problem. Jonesboro is a conservative, Bible Belt town. Yes, you'll find some pockets of liberalism on the ASU campus, but there's not much of a Bohemian, college-town feel to the place.

Now, you can get a good liberal arts education there. I got mine at ASU. Between my work in Indy and Chicago, I rub shoulders with graduates of Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, DePaul, Northwestern and Notre Dame. I feel like my education has served me pretty well. I certainly feel like I stack up well to graduates of those schools.

Of course, you can always get your education and move. But if you really must have an Arkansas university education in a liberal, artsy environment, my guess is that UA-Fayetteville is about as close as it gets. Still, it won't be like Madison, or even Lawrence, Kan. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
I agree with grmaster, you may find almost all of AR a little to conservative for you,especially the areas you are considering. Fayetteville is the only true college town here and it is liberal. Even then, you do not find the kids here into politics as much as in some areas. I am getting this from my recently graduated granddaughter. This does not mean there are no young people interested in the world around them or they are all super conservative. Certainly this isn't the case. Just don't expect the same enviornment you have in Wisconsin.

As for excepting varies cultures and life style, conservative, liberal, free spirited, etc you will be fine and yes, you will make friends.

Nita

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 AM

20 posts, read 71,072 times
Is there a good/decent market for hourly college student type jobs in AR right now?

Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,130 times
Go for it! Except try to move closer to the school you choose. 90 minutes is a pretty long commute if you do it every day. No reason to drive that far if you are renting.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,389 times
You'll be much happier living in a cheap apartment in Fayetteville than commuting 90 minutes to Jonesboro. Fayetteville is much more of what you're looking for.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:47 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newto53202 View Post
I have family that live in Hardy, AR.
Just out of curiosity, which Hardy do they live in?

The one closer to "Olde Town", or one of the multi-millions dotting the hillsides?

Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newto53202 View Post
Is there a good/decent market for hourly college student type jobs in AR right now?
AR isn't nearly as bad off as many states, In fact the unemployment rate here dropped a couple of weeks ago from abour 7.5% to 7.1%.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas