Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 11:30 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.
Never been to Arkansas but I thought Mississippi was bad!

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,423,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I agree. To be fair, it would fail in a lot of other states, too. It should be noted, too, that a lot of states supposedly more liberal than Arkansas have also constitutionally banned same-sex marriage, so calling out Arkansas alone is unfair.

But there is a problem in this country in that our actions don't match our words. Many would say as you do -- that while homosexuality is immoral, homosexuals themselves should be treated respectfully with respect to employment, housing and in public interaction (a love the sinner, hate the sin mentality). Yet, when it comes to erecting the legal protections necessary to ensure gays are treated as such, we succumb to those who say silly things like supporting gay rights presents a threat to the traditional family.

Note that I'm not referring to same-sex marriage here (I personally don't understand what gays would get from legal marriage, and hetereosexuals have done a fine job of screwing that one up. The only winners with same-sex marriage are divorce lawyers, IMO.).

So, I can understand the OP's frustrations. At the same time, I think if he looks around, he'll see the same prejudices in North Carolina.
I think most voters would be happy with a "dont ask dont tell" sort of thing. Although they try to adapt to this PC world, they are unwilling to give anything that they deem "special rights" to anyone involved in behavior they think is detrimental to society as a whole.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Never been to Arkansas but I thought Mississippi was bad!
There's a reason Arkansans like to say, "Thank God for Mississippi!"

Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,503,056 times
Quote:
I personally don't understand what gays would get from legal marriage
Really? Then you must not have given it much, if any, thought. Same sex couples would get all of the 1000+ rights, responsibilities and benefits that opposite sex couples get through civil marriage. A few examples would be inheritance rights, the right to make health care decisions for a spouse when that person is unable to do so, social security benefits, custody rights in the event of divorce, the list goes on......

Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM

163 posts, read 614,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintgum84 View Post
I'd back that Ugandan bill if such a thing was proposed here.

You have to accept that globally, outside of a few pockets of extreme liberalism, [London, NY, Cali etc], homosexual behaviour is seen as a sickness. A disease, a crime against nature and God.

The extreme liberals just need to accept that we, the vast majority on God's Earth, will not and never will accept such nastiness as ok or normal. The Jamaicans have the correct approach.
I was not going to chirp in on this new chat thread, but I gotta.
Mintgum: Did you say somewhere that you have a graduate degree?
Question: Guess who lives in Uganda?
Hint: It is not Jamaicans.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,503,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think most voters would be happy with a "dont ask dont tell" sort of thing. Although they try to adapt to this PC world, they are unwilling to give anything that they deem "special rights" to anyone involved in behavior they think is detrimental to society as a whole.
What "special rights" are you referring to?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Really? Then you must not have given it much, if any, thought. Same sex couples would get all of the 1000+ rights, responsibilities and benefits that opposite sex couples get through civil marriage. A few examples would be inheritance rights, the right to make health care decisions for a spouse when that person is unable to do so, social security benefits, custody rights in the event of divorce, the list goes on......
Inheritence rights - Get a will and have your financial accounts properly titled so they pass outside probate. Problem solved.

Health care decisions? Medical power of attorney. Problem solved.

Social Security benefits? Admittedly a hard one to address, but as there aren't usually kids involved, both in the relationship can have careers and save accordingly. And, as I addressed earlier, financial accounts can have beneficiaries that allow them to pass outside probate.

Custody rights in the event of divorce -- are you referring to kids born from a straight marriage? Well, if the gay parent is leaving his spouse to be with his partner, and the spurned spouse is a competent parent, then the gay parent probably doesn't deserve full custody anyway. May sound cold, but that's how it is. Now, if there were children born into a gay relationship (surrogate parentage, adoption, etc.), then the courts can already work that one out.

Bottom line: Legal avenues already exist to address most of the concerns of gay marriage proponents.

Any other ideas?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Although they try to adapt to this PC world, they are unwilling to give anything that they deem "special rights" to anyone involved in behavior they think is detrimental to society as a whole.
I don't see how fair treatment in employment and housing constitutes "special rights," but I'm aware there are those who do. As for that behavior being detrimental to society as a whole, there are a lot of hypocrites in this world.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
What "special rights" are you referring to?
Rights that gays do not now have. Please remember we are discussing what traditional marriage supporters say. Not what i say.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I don't see how fair treatment in employment and housing constitutes "special rights," but I'm aware there are those who do. As for that behavior being detrimental to society as a whole, there are a lot of hypocrites in this world.
Oh. I agree. I'm sure drinking and getting behind the wheel has killed or hurt far more people in Arkansas than homosexual behavior yet alcohol is legal.As far as employment or housing goes---I have never seen a rental/mortgage application that listed sexual preference as a question. Nor have i ever seen a job application that asked that question. So theoretically at least, ones sexual preference would only come up if you mention it or you act in an inappropriate manner at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas