Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,427,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It was more of a rhetorical question, but I think the more pertinent question is whether it is good that we segregate ourselves politically.
But if certain segments of society abandon one place in order to live near like minded people in another area,dont you then run the risk of ending up with alot of Gary Indianas?

Old 12-18-2009, 10:33 AM

18 posts, read 13,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.
I understand your point of view, it summarizes what the rural/deep south is known for.

Last edited by JDN77; 12-18-2009 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,480,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
But if certain segments of society abandon one place in order to live near like minded people in another area,dont you then run the risk of ending up with alot of Gary Indianas?
I don't know if I'd go that far as race has a lot to do with Gary's problems. My thinking is that if we segregate ourselves into more liberal and conservative enclaves, political animosity on the national scale might only increase and you'd eventually see very real successionist movements.

Anyway, sounds like we're getting way off topic.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN77 View Post
I understand your point of view, it summarizes what the rural/deep south is known for.
Rural maybe, but not the deep south or even the south in the more populated areas...Too many people loves to generalize because of a couple of experiences.

Nita

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Rural maybe, but not the deep south or even the south in the more populated areas...Too many people loves to generalize because of a couple of experiences.

Nita
The rural south and the deep south are interchaeable.....they both have the exact same meaning.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:43 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,427,463 times
Quote:
The rural south and the deep south are interchaeable.....they both have the exact same meaning.
No they dont! Hattiesburg Mississippi is the deep south. Rural Williamson County Tennessee isnt.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
No they dont! Hattiesburg Mississippi is the deep south. Rural Williamson County Tennessee isnt.
HAHA! You have to be kidding me. I hate to break this to you, but EVERYTHING in Tennessee is the deep south, including Nashville.

BOTH of those places that you mentioned are the deep south.

The only thing in the south that is not the deep south is Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Everything else is the deep south.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,291,129 times
Quote:
HAHA! You have to be kidding me. I hate to break this to you, but EVERYTHING in Tennessee is the deep south, including Nashville.

BOTH of those places that you mentioned are the deep south.

The only thing in the south that is not the deep south is Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. Everything else is the deep south.
There's no historical basis for that description whatsoever. Deep South is Civil War terminology; the Deep South states are South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. The Mid-South states are North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas. The Border states are Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri.

If you're going to use outdated terminology and vehemently defend it (while insulting people who know better than you), I suggest you have some basis--besides personal opinion and prejudice--on which to do so.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
There's no historical basis for that description whatsoever. Deep South is Civil War terminology; the Deep South states are South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. The Mid-South states are North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas. The Border states are Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Kentucky, and Missouri.

If you're going to use outdated terminology and vehemently defend it (while insulting people who know better than you), I suggest you have some basis--besides personal opinion and prejudice--on which to do so.
How is it insulting to say anything outside of those 5 cities is the deep south?

It is the truth, most people would agree.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,728,918 times
Quote:
How is it insulting to say anything outside of those 5 cities is the deep south?

It is the truth, most people would agree.
No, you are quite mistaken. There are distinctions between "The South" which generally refers to states that were in the Confederacy, "The Old South" which refers to Southern states that were in the original colonies, and "The Deep South" which refers to a distinct swath of lower Southern states who have a shared climatology.

And most people actually know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas