Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Your response makes it clear that you do not see my point.

1) Allowing children, and in this case, even encouraging children, to buck the rules for no good reason, promotes the idea that rules are for breaking and can lead to, at best, a rebellious adult who cannot get along with people or keep a job, or, at worst, criminal behavior.

2) I am very confident that RogMar and I are both intelligent and intuitive enough to know when a rule or law is immoral. I would have been against slavery and the Nazis.
Good Lord, dude. I posted that 8 days ago, and it wasn't even directed at you. It's always funny when people are so desperate to argue on an internet forum that they'll dig up a thread that's been dead for days, weeks, years. It's petty. And pathetic.

To the point, teach your kids whatever you want. I'll teach mine whatever I want. I've done quite well in life living my philosophy ('do good, hurt no one, stand up against wrong, embrace right').

Last edited by strumpeace; 01-26-2010 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agginym View Post
The only college in Arkansas worth going is the main U of A campus in Fayetteville.
Ya because Hendrix University and Lyon College are terrible schools...[/quote]

and why do you say that?

Nita

Old 01-26-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Don't you think that the arbitrariness and unfairness of the rule is a good reason? Rules aren't inherently good. There are bad rules. Teaching children that protesting bad rules is the right thing to do is a good thing.
questioning bad rules is not only good but should be encouraged, breaking or portesting should not be encouraged. I guess we all have our own ideas on this, but if it were my child, first, I would be sure they were obeying the rules and if something like this were to happen. Yes, I would question the reason behind the rule, I would explain to my child it is a silly, useless rule, but I would also explain they have to follow the rules. Not everything in life is fair or makes sense, but we do things everyday we don't want to do, that is part of giving and taking.

Nita

Old 01-26-2010, 02:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
questioning bad rules is not only good but should be encouraged, breaking or portesting should not be encouraged. I guess we all have our own ideas on this, but if it were my child, first, I would be sure they were obeying the rules and if something like this were to happen. Yes, I would question the reason behind the rule, I would explain to my child it is a silly, useless rule, but I would also explain they have to follow the rules. Not everything in life is fair or makes sense, but we do things everyday we don't want to do, that is part of giving and taking.

Nita
But if we always follow the rules, because rules are rules, then how do we change the bad rules. Civil disobedience is one of the ways we get bad rules changed.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But if we always follow the rules, because rules are rules, then how do we change the bad rules. Civil disobedience is one of the ways we get bad rules changed.
There are ways to protest without teaching a child that just because you don't like a rule you don't have to follow it. Again, explain to them, go to the autorties, go higher if necessary, but to break them because you do not think they are fair or they are stupid is not the way to handle a problem. At least I don't think so, others will disagree. This is like the child who refused to say the pledge and refused to even stand up>>>His reasoning made sense to him but he still has no right to disobey. Had he stood up, said the first part but then just not said the part about liberty and justice for all it would have been a different thing.

Again, this is my feelings on children and school rules.

Nita

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
----" Are the little girls forced to cut their hair or wear it in a ponytail? If not, then why is the little boy forced to "--

Bet it irritated you that urinals are in boy's bathrooms at school but not in girl's bathrooms.

Did you teach your son not to use urinals cuz there weren't urinals available in girl's bathrooms?

gotta treat em the same,you know. Don't want no protesting.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----" Are the little girls forced to cut their hair or wear it in a ponytail? If not, then why is the little boy forced to "--

Bet it irritated you that urinals are in boy's bathrooms at school but not in girl's bathrooms.

Did you teach your son not to use urinals cuz there weren't urinals available in girl's bathrooms?

gotta treat em the same,you know. Don't want no protesting.
Hilarious.

I can actually find a reason for urinals in boy's bathrooms.

Can you explain why there was a rule requiring boys to cut their hair? How would the length of his hair affect his education or the education of others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas