Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,612 times

Advertisements

I think it is funny that you put up my grandfather Trout's tombstone.....I do genealogy!! I just happened upon this and was in complete shock. Where did you find it? THANKS

Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
I have conducted contract archeology work on the Ouachita National Forest several times over the years and never saw a bear. I saw fresh sign where they were avoiding me, but never saw one, and I really wanted to. I saw about everything else including a black cougar; although the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says there are no native cougar in the Ouachita Mountains.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karengirl34 View Post
I think it is funny that you put up my grandfather Trout's tombstone.....I do genealogy!! I just happened upon this and was in complete shock. Where did you find it? THANKS

Karen
Hey Karen! I'm sending you a Direct Message; we gotta talk!!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Exploring Arkansas

This was my front yard when I lived in the country near Malvern.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-coon.jpg  

Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karengirl34 View Post

Karen
I am sure that ArkansasSlim is giving you the details of where the cemetery that you are looking for is located. Here are a few more pictures of the cemetery with the Trout family plots.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 PM

Great photos (again) Dr Foosball, thanks. You wrote that we went to "the end of the world", hey, that was an easy trek compared to some I take.

Local oral history states this is the grave of a child. I have no additional info on it but I believe it is because the pile of rocks is made up of quartz and sandstone which is not "native" to that area which is made up of sandy clay and novaculite gravel. You have to go several miles north or south to find quartz and sandstone.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-hiway-8-child.jpg  

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
There was a wonderful show called Historic Bridges of Arkansas on AETN last night. Check your DVRs to see if it will replay any time soon. It did a great job of displaying rural Arkansas.

My favorite was probably the rainbow arch bridge in Cotter.

Last edited by Dr. Foosball; 03-25-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
There was a wonderful show called Historic Bridges of Arkansas on AETN last night. Check your DVRs to see if it will replay any time soon. It did a great job of displaying rural Arkansas.

My favorite was probably the rainbow arch bridge in Cotter.
That's my favorite, too, especially when they light it up for the holidays.

The state tourism board has a brochure on historic bridges as well.

Incidentally, Missouri has a brochure on historic mills, many of which are located just north of the Arkansas border, in beautiful settings.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Yesterday I went to southeast Little Rock to locate another abandoned cemetery and it has been reported to have several tombstones. I found it but it was so grown up with river cane I had to use my trusty machete to get in and the cane was so thick I couldn't have seen the stones if they were there. I did however find what appeared to be two graves that had been dug into. And it's looks indicated to me that the digging was by "grave robbers" and not professionally done by someone exhuming the remains to move them to another cemetery.

This photo is also in L.R. and the cemetery (Bisbee) is behind Doctors Hospital on the edge of the Interstate 430 right-of-way.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-bisbee.jpg  

Old 03-25-2010, 08:24 PM

111 posts, read 390,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I have conducted contract archeology work on the Ouachita National Forest several times over the years and never saw a bear. I saw fresh sign where they were avoiding me, but never saw one, and I really wanted to. I saw about everything else including a black cougar; although the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says there are no native cougar in the Ouachita Mountains.
There used to be a lot of black cougars hanging around the Duck Inn on the north side of Pine Bluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas