Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This photo is also in L.R. and the cemetery (Bisbee) is behind Doctors Hospital on the edge of the Interstate 430 right-of-way.
I'm trying to picture where that is. by Sears?

(and did you mean I-630?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:26 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I'm trying to picture where that is. by Sears?

(and did you mean I-630?)
Nope, 430, and not Sears. When you go east-bound on Kanis, just before you go over the 430 overpass there is a narrow street to the right (I don't remember it's name) that looks like a driveway but is a street. Go down it until just before it dead-ends behind Heart Hospital (Oops, I just realized, on the original post I screwed up) and it is on your left on the shoulder of 430. There is a sign you can see down the "road" to it and it reads "Bisbee Cemetery".

Old 03-26-2010, 07:36 PM

I hope this one shows enough detail when it downloads. I'm standing on top of a rock face where the Indians quarried a trench at least 30 feet deep and 30 feet wide at the top,about 1/10 mile long and we think it was done 1,000+ years ago. It appears someone "blew the whistle" and all work stopped. It is in a mountain near Magnet Cove between Malvern and Hot Springs. We have mapped a mile of the mountain that contains quarries of varying size and depth and we are not near finished. At last count we had mapped over 125 quarries.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-george-big-trench.jpg  

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM

This is in Woods Cemetery in east Pike County. Each of these "blocks" has the name and unit of a Civil War soldier from that area but some are not represented. My great grandfather and his brother were both in the same Union Cavalry and the brother is named but g grandfather is not. I'm not complaining though because someone went to a lot of effort and expense to do this and I sincerely appreciate it. There is no "Cemetery Association", only interested descendants.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-woods-cemetery-memorial.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-civil-war-memorial-caney-fork-wood  

Old 03-28-2010, 03:41 PM

This photo is associated with Post #47 and over my right shoulder is the adit I had just GPS located and was trying to figure out which direction to go next. We found five adits in this mountain and one had a strong stream of water coming out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-stinger-mine.jpg  

Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,824 times
oh, the Heart Hospital! that makes sense. I could NOT figure out where there could be an old cemetery by Doctor's Hostpital.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
oh, the Heart Hospital! that makes sense. I could NOT figure out where there could be an old cemetery by Doctor's Hostpital.
Yea, I really messed up! If it was near Doctors Hospital it would be under concrete now, wouldn't it? I heard last week that University Mall was built over a cemetery, but my source didn't know if it was moved before construction.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:20 PM

Last week I was in north Grant County documenting a pioneer cemetery, which, thankfully, is being well maintained. My contact told me that a CCC Monument was "down yonder in the woods". After completing the cemetery work I "went down yonder" and located the monument. But it wasn't CCC, it was WPA. It is cast concrete and the symbol is often found on WPA built buildings and bridges, but I have never seen one on the side of a road as this one is. I contacted several archeologist but never got a firm commitment on what it was, but it was decided it probably was a Right-of-Way Monument for a section of road that the WPA had worked on or relocated. I'm going to accept that until someone proves otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-wpa-1.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-wpa-2.jpg  

Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
It must really be "down yonder," or it would have been stolen by now. That would be a nice conversation piece.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It must really be "down yonder," or it would have been stolen by now. That would be a nice conversation piece.
You are so right! When I do my archeology report I will recommend it for the National Register, but someone will have to do a mountain of paper work to make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas