Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 04:44 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,338,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Forget Little Rock, it's just a city, nothin' special. If you want scenery, go on to Hot Springs and explore around there after you dig for diamonds.
There are things to do in LR for someone who hasn't been there. The Pharaoh exhibit is still at the museum and the Presidential Library is a big deal if you are into politics or history. Add in lunch at the River Market, and that is a pretty full day.

BTW, we are killing this thread. I wonder if this convo could be moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,342,061 times
A couple time each year the Forest Archeologist on the Ouachita National Forest will lead a "quarry hike" for people who are interested in seeing the Indian rock quarries where they obtained their novaculite rock for their dart points. Occasionally the Indians would find a good source and actually carve out a "cave" in the process of following the mineral. This is one of those caves and is located on Blaylock Mountain west of the Albert Pike Recreation area. In fact, the whole top and south side of the mountain is covered with quarries. This cave is west of, and above, the Winding Stair hiking trail as it goes around the east end of the mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-quarry.jpg  

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM

In 2002 I was hired by the Ouachita National Forest to do an inventory of abandoned mines on the Forest and I have posted a couple of those photos in the past. On this day we were trying to get to the top of the mountain in the far background in the first photo and after a couple of false starts we stopped for lunch and to scout our map once again. The second photo shows what we found once we got to the mountain. After the destructive ice storm of the winter of 2000-2001, so many trees were down that the lack of canopy permitted the brush, saw briars, and grape vines to grow in abundance, and we had to crawl through, around, and over this stuff to get to the mountain top.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-horseshoe-mtn.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-thicket.jpg  

Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM

My son is holding a two meter photo stick (for scale) at the main adit of the Stinger Mine of which I have posted photos in the past and is on the mountain in the previous photo. The mine runs many meters inside the mountain, a few meters from the entry is a water filled shaft of unknown depth, and a strong stream of water runs from the adit. As a safety precaution the Ouachita National Forest has installed a barrier inside the entrance. They were mining for copper, silver, and various other minerals. At one time raw copper could be picked up from the mine dump. This was in July and my son said I almost killed him running up, down, and across that mountain!
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-marty.jpg  

Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 PM

This is another adit of the Stinger Mine. It is a horizontal shaft cut into a long horizontal rock out-crop. It was so well hidden with growth that my son missed it. It appeared to be a prospect hole that went only a few meters into the mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-adit.jpg  

Old 05-03-2010, 06:26 PM

This WPA Right-of-Way Monument is about 10 miles north of Sheridan west of US 167. UTM (NAD-83) 559486 3812314 A 1936 Grant County Road Map (the oldest I can find) shows US 167 in that area on the north-south Section Line, then on the next available map it had been moved several meters east, and even later moved to it's present location. So, I must assume though I cannot validate it, in 1938 the WPA moved the highway and set this Right-of-Way Monument. We have found them in Pike and Clark Counties where we know that is what happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-wpa-right-way-monument.jpg   Exploring Arkansas-wpa-right-way-monument-2.jpg  

Old 05-05-2010, 05:35 PM

When doing my archeology work, occasionally I get the opportunity to talk to local people to get additional information about what I'm working on. This photo is the adit to a Barite mine on the Ouachita National Forest in south Pike County in the Ouachita Mountains. It goes many meters back into the mountain and the miner found out when he made a turn in the shaft he had crossed a property line and had a few legal problems. Anyway, a local man told me that he was out coon hunting one night and his dogs ran a coon into this adit, so the man followed, to get the coon. He got about half way into the shaft when here came his dog, screaming and running at top speed. He shined his light down the shaft and saw, coming at him at top speed, the biggest, maddest, bob cat he had ever seen. He said he almost beat his dog out of the shaft and the dog had a head start!!
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-barite-mine.jpg  

Old 05-07-2010, 08:31 PM

We named this the "'screamin' frog site". While standing there by a rock pile drawing our maps, a copperhead came out of the rocks, grabbed a frog, and went back into the rocks. The frog was not happy!

This is a slate quarry pit on the Ouachita National Forest but I don't remember where it is located. It is about 6 X 12 meters in diameter, from the ground surface to the surface of the water is about three meters. We tried to measure the depth of the water and it is over seven meters deep. In one corner, just below the surface of the water, is a big under-cut, so there is no way to actually know how big the pit is.

Some of my National Forest employee friends fantasize about pumping the pit dry just to see what is in it. They have been told that several stolen cars are in it, and no telling what else. It is in a very remote area with the old quarry haul road the only access. There is a dirt ramp from the road to the edge of the pit.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-slate-pit.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 PM

This is another mine adit. I wonder how many miles we walked doing that contract?! I think it was a slate mine but never was sure. We were told there was a "huge" cavern way back in there and you can see to Mary's right, the top of the adit has fallen off. It was full of water and there were several smaller adits on that mountain face also full of water. In fact, the water was actually flowing out of each of them. This is near the community of Crystal Springs on U.S. Highway 270, west of Hot Springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Exploring Arkansas-watermellon.jpg  

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
This is another mine adit. I wonder how many miles we walked doing that contract?! I think it was a slate mine but never was sure. We were told there was a "huge" cavern way back in there and you can see to Mary's right, the top of the adit has fallen off. It was full of water and there were several smaller adits on that mountain face also full of water. In fact, the water was actually flowing out of each of them. This is near the community of Crystal Springs on U.S. Highway 270, west of Hot Springs.
I just noticed Mary's wet feet and pants - we had to wade a creek to get to this mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas